CPU temperature accuracy

With MS-7030 motherboard (Neo Platinum NForce 3) and using MSI Core Center v
1.7.0.0, I get varying CPU temperature readings which bear no resemblance to
CPU activity. At idle, CPU temp may read 50 deg C one time, and the next
time I boot up it may read 38 deg C. (I've verified that the CPU IS at idle
both times.) Running MemTest, the temp typically is reported at 64 deg
maximum then drops to 54 deg at idle. I have disabled Cool'n'Quiet. CPU core
voltage is 1.6v, speed is 2400 mhz. I've checked & reseated the heatsink,
with no change. Normally, I'd be suspicious that CoreCenter is not reliably
reporting the temperatures, but other utilities which report sensor
temperatures (SiSoft and EVEREST Home Edition) seem to duplicate this trend
within 4 to 5 degrees. But why the variation? I'd think that the error would
be consistent with CPU activity. Any thoughts?

Thanks...Lee

Previously Lee Shipman <lshipman01@charter.net> wrote:
> With MS-7030 motherboard (Neo Platinum NForce 3) and using MSI Core Center v
> 1.7.0.0, I get varying CPU temperature readings which bear no resemblance to
> CPU activity. At idle, CPU temp may read 50 deg C one time, and the next
> time I boot up it may read 38 deg C. (I've verified that the CPU IS at idle
> both times.) Running MemTest, the temp typically is reported at 64 deg
> maximum then drops to 54 deg at idle. I have disabled Cool'n'Quiet. CPU core
> voltage is 1.6v, speed is 2400 mhz. I've checked & reseated the heatsink,
> with no change. Normally, I'd be suspicious that CoreCenter is not reliably
> reporting the temperatures, but other utilities which report sensor
> temperatures (SiSoft and EVEREST Home Edition) seem to duplicate this trend
> within 4 to 5 degrees. But why the variation? I'd think that the error would
> be consistent with CPU activity. Any thoughts?

What about the difference between case/system temperature and
the cpu temperature? Maybe you have very bad case ventilation
and it heats up?

Arno

Thanks, Arno; I've done some more searching and am finding that with this
motherboard, on the first (cold) boot the temperatures are displaying higher
than they actually are. But on any subsequent warm boots, temperature
accuracy is restored. Go figure! But I'm not the only one seeing this.
Guess I'll just live with it, since now I'm more enlightened.

Lee