Changing from IDE to SATA help needed.

I have a MSI K8T Neo F12R MOBO with 1GB Ram and AMD 64 3000+ processor
running Windows 2000 Pro. I have two 80 GB IDE Western Digital Hard
Drives installed, drive letter C and E. I've just purchased a Western
Digital SATA 200 GB drive. I've installed the drive to SATA 1 using the
Promise what have yous. The SATA drive letter is G and has been
formatted using the Disk Management utility in Win2k. I used Ghost to
clone my C drive (my boot drive) to my nice new SATA drive. All went
smooth as butta.

Now I'd like to make my system boot from my SATA drive and use the
other two IDE drives for music, movies, backups, etc.

Question before I haul off and really screw things up by changing drive
letters as (new SATA drive currently G to C and old IDE drive currently
C to G) described in the Microsoft article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/ (which I've done before
by the way - just not involving a SATA drive) is do I need to change
the boot.ini file, change BIOS or anything else I'm overlooking? The
drive letter change thingy has worked well for me in the past, but I've
never done it involving a SATA drive before. I figured I'd ask for
assistance now while my computer is working rather than later when it
isn't.

UPDATE: So far I've tried F11 to choose the SATA drive and got an error
at startup. The Promise BIOS check at startup shows the 200 GB SATA
drive, but futher along gives me an error message about a boot failure.
Then the boot sequence continues from the IDE drive and boots up ok.
All disk drives, including the SATA drive function within Windows.

I've also tried to unplug the two IDE drives and just leave the SATA
drive to boot. I get the same message about boot failure.

A bit of history - I installed the SATA drivers per the instructions in
my Serial ATA RAID and Serial ATA Quick User's Guide which told me to
load the drivers from the supplied CD since I'm not doing a fresh
windows install.

Another thing, I've got the SATA drive plugged into the SER1 plug on
the motherboard per the instructions in the manual since I'm using the
promise drivers. Is that correct? I'm thinking it is since the drive is
working all except for being able to boot from it.

I'm thinking that the SATA drivers are not correctly installed on the
SATA drive and thus not allowing me to boot from the disk. I will
remind the forum that I made a Norton Ghost clone from my existing boot
IDE drive and placed it on my new SATA drive. I think I'm gonna try the
CD SATA driver installer again.
UPDATE: That didn't work. Still not booting from SATA.

"Ward" <wardhawg@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have a MSI K8T Neo F12R MOBO with 1GB Ram and AMD 64
> 3000+ processor running Windows 2000 Pro. I have two 80
> GB IDE Western Digital Hard Drives installed, drive
> letter C and E. I've just purchased a Western Digital
> SATA 200 GB drive. I've installed the drive to SATA 1
> using the Promise what have yous. The SATA drive letter
> is G and has been formatted using the Disk Management
> utility in Win2k. I used Ghost to clone my C drive (my
> boot drive) to my nice new SATA drive. All went smooth as
> butta.
>
> Now I'd like to make my system boot from my SATA drive
> and use the other two IDE drives for music, movies,
> backups, etc.
>
> Question before I haul off and really screw things up by
> changing drive letters as (new SATA drive currently G to
> C and old IDE drive currently C to G) described in the
> Microsoft article:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/ (which I've
> done before by the way - just not involving a SATA drive)
> is do I need to change the boot.ini file, change BIOS or
> anything else I'm overlooking? The drive letter change
> thingy has worked well for me in the past, but I've never
> done it involving a SATA drive before. I figured I'd ask
> for assistance now while my computer is working rather
> than later when it isn't.
>
> UPDATE: So far I've tried F11 to choose the SATA drive
> and got an error at startup. The Promise BIOS check at
> startup shows the 200 GB SATA drive, but futher along
> gives me an error message about a boot failure. Then the
> boot sequence continues from the IDE drive and boots up
> ok. All disk drives, including the SATA drive function
> within Windows.
>
> I've also tried to unplug the two IDE drives and just
> leave the SATA drive to boot. I get the same message
> about boot failure.
>
> A bit of history - I installed the SATA drivers per the
> instructions in my Serial ATA RAID and Serial ATA Quick
> User's Guide which told me to load the drivers from the
> supplied CD since I'm not doing a fresh windows install.
>
> Another thing, I've got the SATA drive plugged into the
> SER1 plug on the motherboard per the instructions in the
> manual since I'm using the promise drivers. Is that
> correct? I'm thinking it is since the drive is working
> all except for being able to boot from it.
>
> I'm thinking that the SATA drivers are not correctly
> installed on the SATA drive and thus not allowing me to
> boot from the disk. I will remind the forum that I made a
> Norton Ghost clone from my existing boot IDE drive and
> placed it on my new SATA drive. I think I'm gonna try the
> CD SATA driver installer again.
> UPDATE: That didn't work. Still not booting from SATA.

You need to change the boot up seq in the bios, so that the SCSI device goes
first.

I did the same things a year ago, al went fine.

--

http://www.cvanvliet.nl
FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On 10 Dec 2004 05:39:12 -0800, "Ward" <wardhawg@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a MSI K8T Neo F12R MOBO with 1GB Ram and AMD 64 3000+ processor
>running Windows 2000 Pro. I have two 80 GB IDE Western Digital Hard
>Drives installed, drive letter C and E. I've just purchased a Western
>Digital SATA 200 GB drive. I've installed the drive to SATA 1 using the
>Promise what have yous. The SATA drive letter is G and has been
>formatted using the Disk Management utility in Win2k. I used Ghost to
>clone my C drive (my boot drive) to my nice new SATA drive. All went
>smooth as butta.
>
>Now I'd like to make my system boot from my SATA drive and use the
>other two IDE drives for music, movies, backups, etc.
>
>Question before I haul off and really screw things up by changing drive
>letters as (new SATA drive currently G to C and old IDE drive currently
>C to G) described in the Microsoft article:
>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/EN-US/ (which I've done before
>by the way - just not involving a SATA drive) is do I need to change
>the boot.ini file, change BIOS or anything else I'm overlooking? The
>drive letter change thingy has worked well for me in the past, but I've
>never done it involving a SATA drive before. I figured I'd ask for
>assistance now while my computer is working rather than later when it
>isn't.
>
>UPDATE: So far I've tried F11 to choose the SATA drive and got an error
>at startup. The Promise BIOS check at startup shows the 200 GB SATA
>drive, but futher along gives me an error message about a boot failure.
>Then the boot sequence continues from the IDE drive and boots up ok.
>All disk drives, including the SATA drive function within Windows.
>
>I've also tried to unplug the two IDE drives and just leave the SATA
>drive to boot. I get the same message about boot failure.
>
>A bit of history - I installed the SATA drivers per the instructions in
>my Serial ATA RAID and Serial ATA Quick User's Guide which told me to
>load the drivers from the supplied CD since I'm not doing a fresh
>windows install.
>
>Another thing, I've got the SATA drive plugged into the SER1 plug on
>the motherboard per the instructions in the manual since I'm using the
>promise drivers. Is that correct? I'm thinking it is since the drive is
>working all except for being able to boot from it.
>
>I'm thinking that the SATA drivers are not correctly installed on the
>SATA drive and thus not allowing me to boot from the disk. I will
>remind the forum that I made a Norton Ghost clone from my existing boot
>IDE drive and placed it on my new SATA drive. I think I'm gonna try the
>CD SATA driver installer again.
>UPDATE: That didn't work. Still not booting from SATA.

Is the SATA partition active?

Gollum

Alan

I had the same problem: couldn't boot from my SATA drive (74GB Western
Digital Raptor) even though it worked fine otherwise (when it WASN'T
configured as the boot drive).

Thanks, Gollum, for solving my problem. I used Partition Magic to make
the boot partition on my SATA drive "ACTIVE" and now it boots up fine.

I also changed the boot sequence so that my SATA drive is the first to
boot. There is no option in my BIOS to boot from SATA, but there is one
that says "BBS-0(RAID):SATA378 TX2Plus D0". I chose that one and it
works (even though I don't have a RAID array)!

Alan H.