USB drive not in explorer

I've got a computer in my care that I cannot get any USB devices to show in
explorer. They all install wonderfully. I can get to them from the command
line and from the address bar. They are formated and show up in Disk
Mannagement as healthy with a drive letter. (my sample for this is a basic
flash drive).

It shows up in the tray to remove it. I've tried TweakUI and the all drive
letters are selected. I've not been able to find a final answer that's worked
for me. Is this a registry problem?

The device will show up in My Computer/Explorer if I plug it in, log off and
log back on. But when I unplug it, the drive letter now just shows up with a
red 'X' through it.

HELP!! Thanks.

Matt Vogt <MattVogt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've got a computer in my care that I cannot get any USB devices to show in
>explorer. They all install wonderfully. I can get to them from the command
>line and from the address bar. They are formated and show up in Disk
>Mannagement as healthy with a drive letter. (my sample for this is a basic
>flash drive).

Did you map a network drive with the same drive letter? In this case
the USB device will not show up. Make sure that network drives are
mapped from drive letter Z downwards to avoid this problem.

--
(tm)

Thanks for the reply. No network drives are being mapped.

"Thorsten Matzner" wrote:

> Matt Vogt <MattVogt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've got a computer in my care that I cannot get any USB devices to show in
> >explorer. They all install wonderfully. I can get to them from the command
> >line and from the address bar. They are formated and show up in Disk
> >Mannagement as healthy with a drive letter. (my sample for this is a basic
> >flash drive).
>
> Did you map a network drive with the same drive letter? In this case
> the USB device will not show up. Make sure that network drives are
> mapped from drive letter Z downwards to avoid this problem.
>
> --
> (tm)

peter

Hi,

Hi,

Have you try this before?
Disconnect any USB Devices except the USB mouse or keyboard. Boot in safe
mode and login as administrator, go to device manager and uninstall the xxx
PCI to USB Host controller, if you have USB 2.0, uninstall the enhanced host
controller as well.
Reboot to normal, windows should find new hardwares and install the proper
drivers (provided that you have installed SP1 or SP2).
Try connect the USB devices each at one time. Make sure it works properly
before connect the other USB devices.
Your flash drive should appear in explorer/control panel as removeable drive.
Use the safely remove icon to remove the drive before unplug it from the USB
port.

If it dosen't work, try update the mobo chipset drivers and BIOS.

Hope it helps.

Peter