Maxtor Problem with XP

Can anyone help with this:

Using a Maxtor 250 One Touch USB Drive, it freezes
XP/SP2 each time the cable is plugged into the USB
ports on an Averatec laptop using AMD64 3000+

Can anyone assist?

Thanks

More about maxtor problem

    Maxtor are more sensitive than other drives.

    You should have installed the software first and then connected the drive:
    if not go back and do this correctly. READ THE MANUAL.

    ALso for removal: you MUST use the 'safely remove hardware' function.
    Double click on the icon, is the systray next to the clock.

    Look at the information and highlight the 'USB Mass Storgae Device - which
    is appropriate to the MAXTOR; remeber a MFC USB Printer with a PC Card Reader
    included will aslo be a USB Mass Storage Device. Then click on STOP.

    When you get 'safe to unplug' then turn off the Maxtor and unplug its USB
    connector.

    Failure to follow these steps may result in permanent damage to the HDD and
    loss of data: BE WARNED, I have seen this happen too many times.

    "Dan" wrote:

    > Can anyone help with this:
    >

    > Using a Maxtor 250 One Touch USB Drive, it freezes
    > XP/SP2 each time the cable is plugged into the USB
    > ports on an Averatec laptop using AMD64 3000+
    >
    > Can anyone assist?
    >
    > Thanks

Windows XP Maxtor