Hardware wizard - insufficient resources

I installed a new motherboard (nvidia chipset) in a computer running xp pro.
Windows installed most of the drivers correctly the first time. However,
there were a few drivers that didn't install. So I downloaded the latest
nvidia drivers and ran their setup program on the computer. Things got
worse. Now there are more devices punctuated with yellow exclamation marks
than before. I tried updating the drivers manually and every time Windows
hardware wizard tells me something like "error encountered installing driver
due to insufficient resources" - even with the original Microsoft drivers.
It tells me nothing else and the only option is to close the hardware
wizard - frustrating. There is plenty of ram and disk space, so the
resources in question must be I/O memory, interrupts, or DMA. Please, if
anyone has any helpful suggestions it would make my day!
8 answers Last reply
More about hardware wizard insufficient resources

    NVidia is a video chipset manufacturer. As far as I know, they do not make
    motherboard chipsets. If you have a motherboard with on board video, the
    video is NVidia (if you are sure of this) and the motherboard chipset is
    probably Intel or another manufacturer.

    If it is an Intel chipset you might want to go to the Intel website and
    download the newest chipset drivers. This should reup everything.

    http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/support_intel.asp?iid=HPAGE+header_support_download&

    Click on Chipsets on the left, then choose your chipset (810, 820, etc. the
    first 3 numbers of a 5 digit number). For instance, choose 820 for an 82801
    chipset.

    If it is not Intel, try to look on the motherboard for info and visit the
    manufacturer's website. They should have all the available drivers listed for
    downloading on their site. BIOS, NIC, Video, Audio, USB, Modem, etc.

    Also, have you tried to update each driver listed using Windows Update? You
    must be connected to the internet to do that.

    The last problem here may be that you are trying to use an OEM Windows XP CD
    (Dell, HP, Compaq, etc) on your new motherboard. That may not work. A few
    years back, Dell Dimension 4100 with ME came with a CD that would only work
    on a Dell machine. If you tried to install on another machine, it would give
    you a message stating that no qualifying product was found. Supposedly, some
    manufacturers now tie the CD to a specific motherboard as an anti-piracy
    measure. It could be that they view it as piracy and are not going to tell
    you what the problem is because they view you as a criminal.

    Good luck.

    "shroomer" wrote:

    > I installed a new motherboard (nvidia chipset) in a computer running xp pro.
    > Windows installed most of the drivers correctly the first time. However,
    > there were a few drivers that didn't install. So I downloaded the latest
    > nvidia drivers and ran their setup program on the computer. Things got
    > worse. Now there are more devices punctuated with yellow exclamation marks
    > than before. I tried updating the drivers manually and every time Windows
    > hardware wizard tells me something like "error encountered installing driver
    > due to insufficient resources" - even with the original Microsoft drivers.
    > It tells me nothing else and the only option is to close the hardware
    > wizard - frustrating. There is plenty of ram and disk space, so the
    > resources in question must be I/O memory, interrupts, or DMA. Please, if
    > anyone has any helpful suggestions it would make my day!

    If you have installed a new motherboard then you need to use the CD that
    came with the board. Put the CD in the drive and let it autorun it should
    let you install chipset drivers from there.

    Neil

    "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    >I installed a new motherboard (nvidia chipset) in a computer running xp
    >pro. Windows installed most of the drivers correctly the first time.
    >However, there were a few drivers that didn't install. So I downloaded the
    >latest nvidia drivers and ran their setup program on the computer. Things
    >got worse. Now there are more devices punctuated with yellow exclamation
    >marks than before. I tried updating the drivers manually and every time
    >Windows hardware wizard tells me something like "error encountered
    >installing driver due to insufficient resources" - even with the original
    >Microsoft drivers. It tells me nothing else and the only option is to close
    >the hardware wizard - frustrating. There is plenty of ram and disk space,
    >so the resources in question must be I/O memory, interrupts, or DMA.
    >Please, if anyone has any helpful suggestions it would make my day!

    Actually it wasn't a *new* motherboard, it was *another* motherboard. The
    original CD was lost. That's why I downloaded the drivers from the chipset
    manufacturer (nvidia).

    "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    > If you have installed a new motherboard then you need to use the CD that
    > came with the board. Put the CD in the drive and let it autorun it should
    > let you install chipset drivers from there.
    >
    > Neil
    >
    > "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    >>I installed a new motherboard (nvidia chipset) in a computer running xp
    >>pro. Windows installed most of the drivers correctly the first time.
    >>However, there were a few drivers that didn't install. So I downloaded the
    >>latest nvidia drivers and ran their setup program on the computer. Things
    >>got worse. Now there are more devices punctuated with yellow exclamation
    >>marks than before. I tried updating the drivers manually and every time
    >>Windows hardware wizard tells me something like "error encountered
    >>installing driver due to insufficient resources" - even with the original
    >>Microsoft drivers. It tells me nothing else and the only option is to
    >>close the hardware wizard - frustrating. There is plenty of ram and disk
    >>space, so the resources in question must be I/O memory, interrupts, or
    >>DMA. Please, if anyone has any helpful suggestions it would make my day!

    But not every motherboard component is part of the nVidia chipset drivers.
    Locate the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the missing
    drivers.

    Also, it would be useful if you were to "list-out" the devices that are not
    working.

    > But not every motherboard component is part of the nVidia chipset drivers.
    > Locate the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the missing
    > drivers.

    I did that and they were only previous versions of the ones I downloaded
    from Nvidia. No help.

    > Also, it would be useful if you were to "list-out" the devices that are
    > not working.

    And how will that help? They all give the same error message: "Can't load
    the driver because there aren't enough resources" (paraphrase). There are
    about 10 devices and sub-devices that won't load for this reason.
    Interestingly, if you view the devices by type they all fall under PCI bus.
    The PCI bus itself seems happily installed and working.

    > "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    >> Actually it wasn't a *new* motherboard, it was *another* motherboard. The
    >> original CD was lost. That's why I downloaded the drivers from the
    >> chipset manufacturer (nvidia).
    >>
    >> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    >>> If you have installed a new motherboard then you need to use the CD that
    >>> came with the board. Put the CD in the drive and let it autorun it
    >>> should let you install chipset drivers from there.
    >>>
    >>> Neil
    >>>
    >>> "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message

    The motherboard manufacturer may not use the generic nVidia components.

    Make sure that no matter what version their files are, even if older than
    those at the nVidia site: you get the right ones [those that the manufacturer
    makes available, which have been tested with their board and are supposed to
    work].

    Once these are installed and your computer is working properly, Windows may
    identify updated drivers and install them at a later time. But for now you
    want to make the Mobo work properly.

    SO do the first step correctly and the rest wll fall into line.

    If the first step is wrong; well nothing is going to be right!

    "shroomer" wrote:

    > "Yves Leclerc" <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote in message
    > > But not every motherboard component is part of the nVidia chipset drivers.
    > > Locate the motherboard manufacturer's web site and download the missing
    > > drivers.
    >
    > I did that and they were only previous versions of the ones I downloaded
    > from Nvidia. No help.
    >
    > > Also, it would be useful if you were to "list-out" the devices that are
    > > not working.
    >
    > And how will that help? They all give the same error message: "Can't load
    > the driver because there aren't enough resources" (paraphrase). There are
    > about 10 devices and sub-devices that won't load for this reason.
    > Interestingly, if you view the devices by type they all fall under PCI bus.
    > The PCI bus itself seems happily installed and working.
    >

    > > "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    > >> Actually it wasn't a *new* motherboard, it was *another* motherboard. The
    > >> original CD was lost. That's why I downloaded the drivers from the
    > >> chipset manufacturer (nvidia).
    > >>
    > >> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message

    You need to download drivers from the motherboard manufacturer for the
    motherboard chipset, Nvidia drivers are for video cards.

    Neil

    "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    > Actually it wasn't a *new* motherboard, it was *another* motherboard. The
    > original CD was lost. That's why I downloaded the drivers from the chipset
    > manufacturer (nvidia).
    >
    > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
    >> If you have installed a new motherboard then you need to use the CD that
    >> came with the board. Put the CD in the drive and let it autorun it should
    >> let you install chipset drivers from there.
    >>
    >> Neil
    >>
    >> "shroomer" <vze263pm@NO.SPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
    >>>I installed a new motherboard (nvidia chipset) in a computer running xp
    >>>pro. Windows installed most of the drivers correctly the first time.
    >>>However, there were a few drivers that didn't install. So I downloaded
    >>>the latest nvidia drivers and ran their setup program on the computer.
    >>>Things got worse. Now there are more devices punctuated with yellow
    >>>exclamation marks than before. I tried updating the drivers manually and
    >>>every time Windows hardware wizard tells me something like "error
    >>>encountered installing driver due to insufficient resources" - even with
    >>>the original Microsoft drivers. It tells me nothing else and the only
    >>>option is to close the hardware wizard - frustrating. There is plenty of
    >>>ram and disk space, so the resources in question must be I/O memory,
    >>>interrupts, or DMA. Please, if anyone has any helpful suggestions it
    >>>would make my day!

    Nvidia nForce 2 and 3 are MBD support chip sets. My MSI K7N2 MS6570 MBD
    uses the Nforce 2 chipset.

Hardware Drivers Windows XP