MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum connector questions

Jimmy

http://www.pbase.com/boskey/motherboard
The link is to a picture of unidentified connectors on my new MS-7025-010
board. Just to the left of the bios are the connectors in question. In the
manual on pg 2-2, MSI shows the JDB1 connector. However, in going to the
reference page there is nothing about the JDB1. Any ideas?

Also, just to the left of the JDB1 is 10-pin Berg connector (one is NC). It
is unmarked on the board and isn't documented in the manual. It appears to
be similar to a JLED1 pinout on my current board. But since I'm not sure, I
hesitate plugging in my D-Bracket 2 LED connector. Again, any ideas?

Thanks.

Jimmy

"Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote in message
> http://www.pbase.com/boskey/motherboard
> The link is to a picture of unidentified connectors on my new MS-7025-010
> board. Just to the left of the bios are the connectors in question. In
> the manual on pg 2-2, MSI shows the JDB1 connector. However, in going to
> the reference page there is nothing about the JDB1. Any ideas?
>
> Also, just to the left of the JDB1 is 10-pin Berg connector (one is NC).
> It is unmarked on the board and isn't documented in the manual. It
> appears to be similar to a JLED1 pinout on my current board. But since
> I'm not sure, I hesitate plugging in my D-Bracket 2 LED connector. Again,
> any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Just tried the link and you will need to double-click on the thumbnail to
enlarge the view.

"Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote in

> http://www.pbase.com/boskey/motherboard
> The link is to a picture of unidentified connectors on my new
> MS-7025-010 board. Just to the left of the bios are the connectors in
> question. In the manual on pg 2-2, MSI shows the JDB1 connector.
> However, in going to the reference page there is nothing about the
> JDB1. Any ideas?

Don't know what that one is. I see the label JLPC1. At first I thought that
was for the BIOS socket (I assume that's an LPC flashrom), but on second
thought maybe it's an LPC bus connector. The location (and that label)
would suggest that.

> Also, just to the left of the JDB1 is 10-pin Berg connector (one is
> NC). It is unmarked on the board and isn't documented in the manual.
> It appears to be similar to a JLED1 pinout on my current board. But
> since I'm not sure, I hesitate plugging in my D-Bracket 2 LED
> connector. Again, any ideas?

That is the connector for the diagnostic LEDs on the D-Bracket.

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:04:34 -0600, "Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote:

> The link is to a picture of unidentified connectors on my new MS-7025-010
> board. Just to the left of the bios are the connectors in question. In the
> manual on pg 2-2, MSI shows the JDB1 connector. However, in going to the
> reference page there is nothing about the JDB1. Any ideas?
>
> Also, just to the left of the JDB1 is 10-pin Berg connector (one is NC). It
> is unmarked on the board and isn't documented in the manual. It appears to
> be similar to a JLED1 pinout on my current board. But since I'm not sure, I
> hesitate plugging in my D-Bracket 2 LED connector. Again, any ideas?

I think you have one unknown connector and one misidentified one. Starting
from the BIOS chip the first connector is a 14-pin boxed header labelled
"JLPC1". The next one, the 10-pin header (which is missing pin 9) is the
"JDB1" and is to be connected to the D-Bracket as explained on page 2-21
of the manual (at least in my manual, which bears revision number 1.1).

Coming back to JLPC1, I haven't got a clue what it is for. But according
to HardOPC <http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc2>:

"The JLPC1 header is used for board level debugging purposes by the
manufacturer, and should be left alone under normal circumstances."

Would have been nice though if MSI had put this in the manual...

Kind regards,
Danny Sanders www
(o o)
,---------------------------------------------------oOO--(_)--OOo-.
| This message is printed on 100% recycled electrons. |
`-----------------------------------------------------------------'

Jimmy

"Danny Sanders" <zagadka () xs4all ! nl> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:04:34 -0600, "Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote:
>

> I think you have one unknown connector and one misidentified one. Starting
> from the BIOS chip the first connector is a 14-pin boxed header labelled
> "JLPC1". The next one, the 10-pin header (which is missing pin 9) is the
> "JDB1" and is to be connected to the D-Bracket as explained on page 2-21
> of the manual (at least in my manual, which bears revision number 1.1).
>
> Coming back to JLPC1, I haven't got a clue what it is for. But according
> to HardOPC <http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc2>:
>
> "The JLPC1 header is used for board level debugging purposes by the
> manufacturer, and should be left alone under normal circumstances."
>
> Would have been nice though if MSI had put this in the manual...
>
> Kind regards,
> Danny Sanders

Thanks Danny and Mitch for your responses. I had a call in to MSIComputer
support and finally received a callback. The 10-pin (or 9-pin) is indeed a
JDB1 LED diagnostic header. I only have the downloaded version of the
manual, and they provided a dead-end in determining what the connector was
about.
My pg 2-21 shows the JBAT1 clearing of the CMOS.

Regarding the JLPC1, the tech indicated they show only a spot for a
connector. Seems I have received an early board that has the connector. He
didn't have any idea about what the JLPC1 was or did, indicating he would
have to look it up. It appears your information is correct and will leave
the connector alone.

Thanks everyone,

Jimmy

Jimmy

"Danny Sanders" <zagadka () xs4all ! nl> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 09:04:34 -0600, "Jimmy" <whoknows@whocares.com> wrote:
>

> Coming back to JLPC1, I haven't got a clue what it is for. But according
> to HardOPC <http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=Njc2>:
>
> "The JLPC1 header is used for board level debugging purposes by the
> manufacturer, and should be left alone under normal circumstances."
>
> Would have been nice though if MSI had put this in the manual...
>
> Kind regards,
> Danny Sanders

Danny, this is the response I received from MSI support regarding the JLPC1
header on the K8N Neo2 Platinum board. Wanted to let you and others know
you were right on target about this connector. Thanks!
Dear Customer,
The JDB1 header on the motherboard is only used for internal testing and is
not used by any external devices.

Thank you for contacting MSI Tech Support!
MSI Computer Corp.
Technical Support Division
Tel: 1.626.913.0828
Fax: 1.626.581.7721