PCI Express Video vs On-Board Video (Dual Monitor Support)

February 23, 2005 1:39:03 PM

I purchased a Gateway 420GR P4 Computer which has the Intel 915G Chipset and
a PCI Express slot.

I wanted dual monitor support, and in order to utilize the Intel GMA900
on-board video, I was told I could purchase an Intel ADD2 card for dual
monitor support. Well, that may be true, but was misled by Intel in that for
my "particular PC" it would not work -- thus now I've had to ship the item
back to Intel.

I have decided, it might just as well be best to fork out the additional
funds to buy a new video card w/ dual monitor support to run in the PCI
Express slot and disable my on-board video. A response on a prior posts
informed me my PC might even run faster because the on-board video isn't
sharing the memory and a separate card has it's own memory.

I would appreciate anyone's assistance. I have considered purchasing the
Radeon X700 Pro Video Card, PCI Express, 256MB GDDR3 for my PC. Has anyone
had any experience with this card or do you know of any other card that would
work with my model PC and I could continue to engage the on-board graphics as
well for dual monitor support.

Thanks, Brian
February 23, 2005 6:07:03 PM

I wuld speak with Gateway as to a list of compatible Video Cards.

From that list, determine which ones you can afford and look at:
http://www.motherboards.org/

This site gives specs and makes certain comparisons which will be useful for
your selection.