DVD-RW drive hardly works!

hey (i hope i posted this in the right discussion group)

i bought myself a laptop that came with a CD/DVD-RW drive, but the problem
is that it only plays half the DVDs i try to play, saying that there is no
disk in the drive and also which, is my main concern is that i cannot put
anything on a DVD-RW disk, because it thinks its a CD, it wont let me write
anyway (CD-RW works fine). ive looked in the device manager and says the
device is working properly ... im at a loss as to why it wont recognise the
disks, let me write on them or play some DVDs ... any suggestions?? ... if
theres anymore info someone needs to help me just ask and i'll tell!!

thanks if anyone can help
peter

Probably a bad drive.

--

Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey (i hope i posted this in the right discussion group)
>
> i bought myself a laptop that came with a CD/DVD-RW drive, but the problem
> is that it only plays half the DVDs i try to play, saying that there is no
> disk in the drive and also which, is my main concern is that i cannot put
> anything on a DVD-RW disk, because it thinks its a CD, it wont let me
write
> anyway (CD-RW works fine). ive looked in the device manager and says the
> device is working properly ... im at a loss as to why it wont recognise
the
> disks, let me write on them or play some DVDs ... any suggestions?? ... if
> theres anymore info someone needs to help me just ask and i'll tell!!
>
> thanks if anyone can help
> peter

what do you mean by that? u mean like its faulty?

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> Probably a bad drive.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com
>
> "PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey (i hope i posted this in the right discussion group)
> >
> > i bought myself a laptop that came with a CD/DVD-RW drive, but the problem
> > is that it only plays half the DVDs i try to play, saying that there is no
> > disk in the drive and also which, is my main concern is that i cannot put
> > anything on a DVD-RW disk, because it thinks its a CD, it wont let me
> write
> > anyway (CD-RW works fine). ive looked in the device manager and says the
> > device is working properly ... im at a loss as to why it wont recognise
> the
> > disks, let me write on them or play some DVDs ... any suggestions?? ... if
> > theres anymore info someone needs to help me just ask and i'll tell!!
> >
> > thanks if anyone can help
> > peter

Did you install the software that came with the burner. XP has no native
capability to burn DVDs be they RW or R?

What DVDs cannot be played? Are they retail versions or are they disks that
were copied? Films, games, etc. generally have some copy protection that
prevents making copies, hence, they would not be playable.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey (i hope i posted this in the right discussion group)
>
> i bought myself a laptop that came with a CD/DVD-RW drive, but the problem
> is that it only plays half the DVDs i try to play, saying that there is no
> disk in the drive and also which, is my main concern is that i cannot put
> anything on a DVD-RW disk, because it thinks its a CD, it wont let me
> write
> anyway (CD-RW works fine). ive looked in the device manager and says the
> device is working properly ... im at a loss as to why it wont recognise
> the
> disks, let me write on them or play some DVDs ... any suggestions?? ... if
> theres anymore info someone needs to help me just ask and i'll tell!!
>
> thanks if anyone can help
> peter

Yea.
I've had it happen quite a bit. Usually it is after they have some "miles"
on them, but it still could be the case even with a new once. Who knows how
many wild Semi-Truck or Forklift rides it experienced before you finally
made it to where you bought it.

If you just bought it, then it is under warranty, so take advantage of it
before it expires.

--

> what do you mean by that? u mean like its faulty?
>
> "Phillip Windell" wrote:
>
> > Probably a bad drive.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> > www.wandtv.com
> >
> > "PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > hey (i hope i posted this in the right discussion group)
> > >
> > > i bought myself a laptop that came with a CD/DVD-RW drive, but the
problem
> > > is that it only plays half the DVDs i try to play, saying that there
is no
> > > disk in the drive and also which, is my main concern is that i cannot
put
> > > anything on a DVD-RW disk, because it thinks its a CD, it wont let me
> > write
> > > anyway (CD-RW works fine). ive looked in the device manager and says
the
> > > device is working properly ... im at a loss as to why it wont
recognise
> > the
> > > disks, let me write on them or play some DVDs ... any suggestions??
.... if
> > > theres anymore info someone needs to help me just ask and i'll tell!!
> > >
> > > thanks if anyone can help
> > > peter

yeah your probably right, thanks anyway, now just got to back up all my data
on CD aaah fun!! :)

cheers

"Phillip Windell" wrote:

> Yea.
> I've had it happen quite a bit. Usually it is after they have some "miles"
> on them, but it still could be the case even with a new once. Who knows how
> many wild Semi-Truck or Forklift rides it experienced before you finally
> made it to where you bought it.
>
> If you just bought it, then it is under warranty, so take advantage of it
> before it expires.
>
> --
>
> Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> www.wandtv.com
>
> "PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > what do you mean by that? u mean like its faulty?
> >
> > "Phillip Windell" wrote:
> >
> > > Probably a bad drive.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
> > > www.wandtv.com
> > >
> > > "PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> problem
> is no
> put
> > > write
> the
> recognise
> > > the
> .... if

im not aware it came with any software because the drive is built into the
laptop nd it said nothing about it in the instructions, and concerning the
DVDs they are proper DVDs (retail versions)

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Did you install the software that came with the burner. XP has no native
> capability to burn DVDs be they RW or R?
>
> What DVDs cannot be played? Are they retail versions or are they disks that
> were copied? Films, games, etc. generally have some copy protection that
> prevents making copies, hence, they would not be playable.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "PeterUK" <PeterUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > hey (i hope i posted this in the right discussion group)
> >
> > i bought myself a laptop that came with a CD/DVD-RW drive, but the problem
> > is that it only plays half the DVDs i try to play, saying that there is no
> > disk in the drive and also which, is my main concern is that i cannot put
> > anything on a DVD-RW disk, because it thinks its a CD, it wont let me
> > write
> > anyway (CD-RW works fine). ive looked in the device manager and says the
> > device is working properly ... im at a loss as to why it wont recognise
> > the
> > disks, let me write on them or play some DVDs ... any suggestions?? ... if
> > theres anymore info someone needs to help me just ask and i'll tell!!
> >
> > thanks if anyone can help
> > peter

I suppose that could be the case. Have you checked all of the material that
came with your laptop, perhaps there's a disk containing Nero or Easy CD or
Easy Media Creator or some other application that supports DVD burning as
this is not supported natively in XP.

If the DVDs that don't play are films, they require a third party
application as well. Again, it surprises me that a computer supplied with a
DVD burner/player would not come with at least some basic software for such
purposes.