DVD Burner help re: speed

I have a Benq DL DW 1610, and I am trying to use Nero 6.606 or whatever.
Anyhow, I burn successful dvd back ups at 4x, play fine in the
computer, but my dvd will not recognize the disk. When the same media
is used from the same spool on my buddies burner, he burns copies that
do play in my player. He is able to burn at 2x. My problem, is I
cannot burn anything less than 4x. I would like to try and burn at 2x,
but it is not an available option. Any idea why? Does the media
determine the speed of the burn?

Any help would be appreciated< i have tried almost anything and it is
frustrating to have a burner make backups for everyone else except me

jordan

Have you tried different media? Check what brand your friend uses try that.
If you look through Nero, you may have the option to change speed, I use
Roxio and the option is certainly available in that software.
--
Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
www.coribright.com

"Jordan Kovats" <jkovats@uoguelph.ca> wrote in message
>I have a Benq DL DW 1610, and I am trying to use Nero 6.606 or whatever.
>Anyhow, I burn successful dvd back ups at 4x, play fine in the computer,
>but my dvd will not recognize the disk. When the same media is used from
>the same spool on my buddies burner, he burns copies that do play in my
>player. He is able to burn at 2x. My problem, is I cannot burn anything
>less than 4x. I would like to try and burn at 2x, but it is not an
>available option. Any idea why? Does the media determine the speed of the
>burn?
>
> Any help would be appreciated< i have tried almost anything and it is
> frustrating to have a burner make backups for everyone else except me
>
> jordan

bar

Burning speed doesn't affect the recording density or format in any way. SO
the result should be the same for 2x, 4x etc.

You may need to verify that the process finishes the disk for use 'not in a
computer' otherwise the session is 'open' to allow more data to be written.
If it is closed it may complete additional detail which is then manageable on
a Video DVD plyaer.

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Have you tried different media? Check what brand your friend uses try that.
> If you look through Nero, you may have the option to change speed, I use
> Roxio and the option is certainly available in that software.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
> www.coribright.com
>
> "Jordan Kovats" <jkovats@uoguelph.ca> wrote in message
> >I have a Benq DL DW 1610, and I am trying to use Nero 6.606 or whatever.
> >Anyhow, I burn successful dvd back ups at 4x, play fine in the computer,
> >but my dvd will not recognize the disk. When the same media is used from
> >the same spool on my buddies burner, he burns copies that do play in my
> >player. He is able to burn at 2x. My problem, is I cannot burn anything
> >less than 4x. I would like to try and burn at 2x, but it is not an
> >available option. Any idea why? Does the media determine the speed of the
> >burn?
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated< i have tried almost anything and it is
> > frustrating to have a burner make backups for everyone else except me
> >
> > jordan

We are using the same brand, off the same spindle. That is the problem,
Nero doesn't give me the option. I thought all media can be slowed
down. But not in this case. that is where I am confused.

Jordan

Cari (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Have you tried different media? Check what brand your friend uses try that.
> If you look through Nero, you may have the option to change speed, I use
> Roxio and the option is certainly available in that software.

Jordan,

What type video are you trying to backup? Commercial DVD movies with CSS
encryption and Region codes? If so what software are you using to strip the
encryption (Hint: Nero won't)? Home movies with no protection?

Is the media recommended by Benq for your burner?

What type of media are you using? +/-R / RW ??????

What type of media can your set top player read? Do you know?

Do you finalise the disk at the end of the burn? Do you change the booktype
for DVD+R or +R DL media for better player compatibility?

Burn speed I believe is determined by the media and the burner. I doubt
burning at 2x or 4x makes any difference with these newer drives as long as
the media is compatible to the burner.

r.

"Jordan Kovats" <jkovats@uoguelph.ca> wrote in message
>I have a Benq DL DW 1610, and I am trying to use Nero 6.606 or whatever.
>Anyhow, I burn successful dvd back ups at 4x, play fine in the computer,
>but my dvd will not recognize the disk. When the same media is used from
>the same spool on my buddies burner, he burns copies that do play in my
>player. He is able to burn at 2x. My problem, is I cannot burn anything
>less than 4x. I would like to try and burn at 2x, but it is not an
>available option. Any idea why? Does the media determine the speed of the
>burn?
>
> Any help would be appreciated< i have tried almost anything and it is
> frustrating to have a burner make backups for everyone else except me
>
> jordan

The disks work fine in other peoples players, not mine. However, my
player, plays the same disk from another burner, when burned at a slower
speed, i.e. 2x. I am unable to choose 2x, all it says is max, 4x. Why
can I not slow it down? Should you not be able to slow down/control all
media when burning?

Jordan

BAR wrote:
> Burning speed doesn't affect the recording density or format in any way. SO
> the result should be the same for 2x, 4x etc.
>
> You may need to verify that the process finishes the disk for use 'not in a
> computer' otherwise the session is 'open' to allow more data to be written.
> If it is closed it may complete additional detail which is then manageable on
> a Video DVD plyaer.
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>

>>Have you tried different media? Check what brand your friend uses try that.
>>If you look through Nero, you may have the option to change speed, I use
>>Roxio and the option is certainly available in that software.
>>--
>>Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing & Imaging)
>>www.coribright.com
>>
>>"Jordan Kovats" <jkovats@uoguelph.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>I have a Benq DL DW 1610, and I am trying to use Nero 6.606 or whatever.
>>>Anyhow, I burn successful dvd back ups at 4x, play fine in the computer,
>>>but my dvd will not recognize the disk. When the same media is used from
>>>the same spool on my buddies burner, he burns copies that do play in my
>>>player. He is able to burn at 2x. My problem, is I cannot burn anything
>>>less than 4x. I would like to try and burn at 2x, but it is not an
>>>available option. Any idea why? Does the media determine the speed of the
>>>burn?
>>>
>>>Any help would be appreciated< i have tried almost anything and it is
>>>frustrating to have a burner make backups for everyone else except me
>>>
>>>jordan

Hello. Try burning R+ disc and finalize. Maybe the player info is incorrect.
Take Care.
beamish.

"Jordan Kovats" wrote:

> I have a Benq DL DW 1610, and I am trying to use Nero 6.606 or whatever.
> Anyhow, I burn successful dvd back ups at 4x, play fine in the
> computer, but my dvd will not recognize the disk. When the same media
> is used from the same spool on my buddies burner, he burns copies that
> do play in my player. He is able to burn at 2x. My problem, is I
> cannot burn anything less than 4x. I would like to try and burn at 2x,
> but it is not an available option. Any idea why? Does the media
> determine the speed of the burn?
>
> Any help would be appreciated< i have tried almost anything and it is
> frustrating to have a burner make backups for everyone else except me
>
> jordan

I am trying to back up a commercial dvd. I have done this before. I
used dvd decrypt, then dvd shrink.
I do not know if the media is reccommended for my burner. I do know I
make a successful copy because it works in other players.

I am using -R.

Set top player claims to read -R and +R.

Pretty sure it is finalised. I am uncertain about the booktype since I
am not using dual layer disks.

I put the back up in the payer and it says, cannot read disc. I give
the same disc to friend, plays fine for him. I try a different media.
Media he gave me, and backed up a copy for me. Burnt at 2x, plays fine
in my player. Take the same media, burn at 4x (since that is the only
option, i can't slow it down, and my player says it cannot read disc.
Put it in the computer, windvd plays no problem. I just want the option
to try and burn at 2x, not available.

In the past, I converted to svcd, burnt at 12x...would not work in
player. Took the same file, burnt at 8x, worked fine. This is cdr mind
you. Explain that.

Jordan

>I am trying to back up a commercial dvd. I have done this before. I used
>dvd decrypt, then dvd shrink.

Use DVD Shrink and save to an .iso file. Then use DVD Decrypter to burn
the .iso file to DVD media.

> I do not know if the media is reccommended for my burner. I do know I
> make a successful copy because it works in other players.
>
> I am using -R.
>
> Set top player claims to read -R and +R.

If I understood your original post you said that a friend burnt to -R media
and it played on your set top player. Correct? If so then at least you
know that your set top player can indeed play -R disks. Therefore the
problem is likely an incompatability with your burner and your media choice.
If you can I suggest that you use +R media (recommended by Benq) and burn
with DVD Decrypter and set the booktype to DVD-Rom. Or try a different -R
media recommended by Benq. The manual I got with my LG drive specifically
stated the recommended media. Firmware updates (for any manufacturer) will
add newer media brands and improve results with already recommended media.
The above assumes that your burner is compatable with both + and - medias.

> Pretty sure it is finalised. I am uncertain about the booktype since I am
> not using dual layer disks.

Booktype is applicable to all + media (ie. +R, +RW and +R DL). It causes
the disk to be read as a DVD-Rom with the appropriate burner settings. Not
applicable to - media though.

> I put the back up in the payer and it says, cannot read disc. I give the
> same disc to friend, plays fine for him. I try a different media. Media
> he gave me, and backed up a copy for me. Burnt at 2x, plays fine in my
> player. Take the same media, burn at 4x (since that is the only option, i
> can't slow it down, and my player says it cannot read disc. Put it in the
> computer, windvd plays no problem. I just want the option to try and burn
> at 2x, not available.
>
> In the past, I converted to svcd, burnt at 12x...would not work in player.
> Took the same file, burnt at 8x, worked fine. This is cdr mind you.
> Explain that.

Quality of disks, compatability of disks to burner, and/or quality of
burner.