Which Channel(s) To Use?

I have a small network setup inside and outside of my house. I have the
following equipment setup:
Linksys WRT54GS (Router and AP)
Linksys WAP11 (AP)
Linksys WPS54GU2 (Print Server)
Highgain Wireless Access Point
Highgain Wireless Access Point
Highgain Wireless Bridge

Each of these devices has a setting for a channel all operate on the same
network. My dilemma is, do I need to setup each device with a separate
channel or should I use the same channel for all devices?

Thanks for your advice.

If they are all on the same network then they should all use the same
channel and an identical SSID.

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com

"Bill Steiner" <bsdaiwa@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have a small network setup inside and outside of my house. I have the
>following equipment setup:
> Linksys WRT54GS (Router and AP)
> Linksys WAP11 (AP)
> Linksys WPS54GU2 (Print Server)
> Highgain Wireless Access Point
> Highgain Wireless Access Point
> Highgain Wireless Bridge
>
> Each of these devices has a setting for a channel all operate on the same
> network. My dilemma is, do I need to setup each device with a separate
> channel or should I use the same channel for all devices?
>
> Thanks for your advice.

Hi
In general it is probably better to use the same SSID, but different
channels.

However, It is hard to give a definite answer it depends on how the system
is used, what are the roaming patterns, and whether you use WZC or something
else.

Under certain circumstances using different channels or and SSID might be
better.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Bill Steiner" <bsdaiwa@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I have a small network setup inside and outside of my house. I have the
> following equipment setup:
> Linksys WRT54GS (Router and AP)
> Linksys WAP11 (AP)
> Linksys WPS54GU2 (Print Server)
> Highgain Wireless Access Point
> Highgain Wireless Access Point
> Highgain Wireless Bridge
>
> Each of these devices has a setting for a channel all operate on the same
> network. My dilemma is, do I need to setup each device with a separate
> channel or should I use the same channel for all devices?
>
> Thanks for your advice.

I don't use any WZC, I only use MAC addresses for security. One of the AP's
is pointed at my brother in laws house 4 doors down the street and another
is omni directional for use at the beach, both are located on the roof. The
last AP is used on the second level of the house for a PC that is down
there. The house is four stories made of concrete with heavy steel
reinforcing.

"Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> Hi
> In general it is probably better to use the same SSID, but different
> channels.
>
> However, It is hard to give a definite answer it depends on how the system
> is used, what are the roaming patterns, and whether you use WZC or
> something
> else.
>
> Under certain circumstances using different channels or and SSID might be
> better.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Bill Steiner" <bsdaiwa@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I have a small network setup inside and outside of my house. I have the
>> following equipment setup:
>> Linksys WRT54GS (Router and AP)
>> Linksys WAP11 (AP)
>> Linksys WPS54GU2 (Print Server)
>> Highgain Wireless Access Point
>> Highgain Wireless Access Point
>> Highgain Wireless Bridge
>>
>> Each of these devices has a setting for a channel all operate on the same
>> network. My dilemma is, do I need to setup each device with a separate
>> channel or should I use the same channel for all devices?
>>
>> Thanks for your advice.

Hi
I would put the connection to your brother on Channel 1 with its own SSID,
and the rest on channel 11 with the same SSID.
As for security, it is your call, but I think that at least the two external
connections has to be more secure.
WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

> I don't use any WZC, I only use MAC addresses for security. One of the
AP's
> is pointed at my brother in laws house 4 doors down the street and another
> is omni directional for use at the beach, both are located on the roof.
The
> last AP is used on the second level of the house for a PC that is down
> there. The house is four stories made of concrete with heavy steel
> reinforcing.
>
> "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > In general it is probably better to use the same SSID, but different
> > channels.
> >
> > However, It is hard to give a definite answer it depends on how the
system
> > is used, what are the roaming patterns, and whether you use WZC or
> > something
> > else.
> >
> > Under certain circumstances using different channels or and SSID might
be
> > better.
> >
> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "Bill Steiner" <bsdaiwa@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >> I have a small network setup inside and outside of my house. I have the
> >> following equipment setup:
> >> Linksys WRT54GS (Router and AP)
> >> Linksys WAP11 (AP)
> >> Linksys WPS54GU2 (Print Server)
> >> Highgain Wireless Access Point
> >> Highgain Wireless Access Point
> >> Highgain Wireless Bridge
> >>
> >> Each of these devices has a setting for a channel all operate on the
same
> >> network. My dilemma is, do I need to setup each device with a separate
> >> channel or should I use the same channel for all devices?
> >>
> >> Thanks for your advice.

Thanks, I will do that. Since I am in southern Brasil and don't really have
any neighbors that have computers I am not too worried about strong
security. When we get more people in the area I will implement stronger
security.

Thank you again for your kind assistance.

> Hi
> I would put the connection to your brother on Channel 1 with its own SSID,
> and the rest on channel 11 with the same SSID.
> As for security, it is your call, but I think that at least the two
> external
> connections has to be more secure.
> WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Bill Steiner" <bsdaiwa@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I don't use any WZC, I only use MAC addresses for security. One of the
> AP's
>> is pointed at my brother in laws house 4 doors down the street and
>> another
>> is omni directional for use at the beach, both are located on the roof.
> The
>> last AP is used on the second level of the house for a PC that is down
>> there. The house is four stories made of concrete with heavy steel
>> reinforcing.
>>
>> "Jack (MVP)" <Jack(MVP)@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > In general it is probably better to use the same SSID, but different
>> > channels.
>> >
>> > However, It is hard to give a definite answer it depends on how the
> system
>> > is used, what are the roaming patterns, and whether you use WZC or
>> > something
>> > else.
>> >
>> > Under certain circumstances using different channels or and SSID might
> be
>> > better.
>> >
>> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
>> >

>> > "Bill Steiner" <bsdaiwa@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> same

Guitarman

"WLW" <WLW@EZine.Com> wrote in message
> If they are all on the same network then they should all use the same
> channel and an identical SSID.
>
> --
> William L. Whipple
> WWW.EZine.Com

I've heard of using the same SSID, but I've also heard using the same
channel on all the router/AP devices causes problems... any links anywhere
that can point out whether to use the same channel or not the same channel
anywhere?

If the devices are on the same wireless network, i.e.. using the same SSID,
then they will be using the same channel. They need to use the same channel
to talk to each other.

If you are running multiple wireless networks, i.e.. more than one SSID,
then they should be on different channels so that they do not interfere with
each other.

Channel is essentially equal to Frequency. Most wireless devices only
operate on one frequency at a time. When you ask for "Available Networks"
the device scans across all channels one at a time looking for SSIDs. Then
when you connect to a network, it selects the channel that SSID was
broadcast on.

Usually the only reason to switch channels is if the channel you are on is
already in use by another wireless network or by another digital wireless
device like a wireless phone, or if there is interference on that channel
from something like a microwave oven, electric motor or other electronic
device.

--
William L. Whipple
WWW.EZine.Com