MSI Neo2 Platinum + AMD 3200+ skt 939

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
December 28, 2004 3:14:56 AM

Greetings all,
Can someone please offer some guidance to save my sanity:-0

3 day old PC - MSI Neo2 Platinum Mainboard with AMD 3200+ skt 939, 512mb
Corsair Value Select 3200, 400ddr.
Because I'm waiting for the new 64bit OS [one can live in hope ] decided to
stick with Win 98 for the moment.

Been having instability problems from the outset with AOpen DVD drive only
starting up sometimes .. system hanging sometimes, some ports and power
switches only working sometimes.

This morning when I switched on there was no display - ie No
Input. After several re-boots - with power off now working and so having to
switch off at mains supply - it booted only to display this msg:
"Warning the system is now in safe mode. Please reset overclocking features
in SETUP MENU"

Have no idea what its going on about ... wouldn't know an overclock from an
under one :-)
Any ideas ...

TIA
--
Kate

--
Kath

Puff Less
*****\o/*****
B-r-e-a-t-h-e M-o-r-e
December 28, 2004 11:15:51 PM

Guess the first thing is to strip it down to just the basics - PSU,
motherboard, CPU, memory, harddrive, graphics card. See if you can boot
from there.

What PSU are you using? Is it powerful enough for what you are driving?

Check you have the latest bios installed. Do the settings look sensible
for your system?

Guess thats some stuff to check without knowing exactly whats wrong

Kate wrote:
> Greetings all,
> Can someone please offer some guidance to save my sanity:-0
>
> 3 day old PC - MSI Neo2 Platinum Mainboard with AMD 3200+ skt 939, 512mb
> Corsair Value Select 3200, 400ddr.
> Because I'm waiting for the new 64bit OS [one can live in hope ] decided to
> stick with Win 98 for the moment.
>
> Been having instability problems from the outset with AOpen DVD drive only
> starting up sometimes .. system hanging sometimes, some ports and power
> switches only working sometimes.
>
> This morning when I switched on there was no display - ie No
> Input. After several re-boots - with power off now working and so having to
> switch off at mains supply - it booted only to display this msg:
> "Warning the system is now in safe mode. Please reset overclocking features
> in SETUP MENU"
>
> Have no idea what its going on about ... wouldn't know an overclock from an
> under one :-)
> Any ideas ...
>
> TIA
> --
> Kate
>
> --
> Kath
>
> Puff Less
> *****\o/*****
> B-r-e-a-t-h-e M-o-r-e

Related resources
December 29, 2004 11:08:49 PM

Stormrider, thanx for your comments.
As it happens the system was put together by the shop and taking any
components out would void the warranty.

The bios is v 1.3 so that's OK, the PSU is a Tagan 380 silent - with 2 case
fans that should suffice.
From what I've read on forums the BIOS settings look like the defaults but
again I don't want to alter something that might give the vendor grounds to
say *I've* 'broken it' ... if you know what I mean.

I just wanted some kind of idea of what might be causing such instability so
not to be blinded with vendor technobaffle :-)

Kate

Stormrider <news@news.news> wrote in message
> Guess the first thing is to strip it down to just the basics - PSU,
> motherboard, CPU, memory, harddrive, graphics card. See if you can boot
> from there.
>
> What PSU are you using? Is it powerful enough for what you are driving?
>
> Check you have the latest bios installed. Do the settings look sensible
> for your system?
>
> Guess thats some stuff to check without knowing exactly whats wrong
December 30, 2004 2:32:33 AM

Ah, I see.

TBH it could be anything from dodgy PSU, mobo, cpu, heatsink not
properly seated, connector not in place, memory not being fully
compatible with the mobo with that bios revision or any number of other
things.

Best bet I guess is to take it back and give them an earful :)

!