MSI Neo2 Platinum + AMD 3200+ skt 939

Greetings all,
Can someone please offer some guidance to save my sanity:-0

3 day old PC - MSI Neo2 Platinum Mainboard with AMD 3200+ skt 939, 512mb
Corsair Value Select 3200, 400ddr.
Because I'm waiting for the new 64bit OS [one can live in hope ] decided to
stick with Win 98 for the moment.

Been having instability problems from the outset with AOpen DVD drive only
starting up sometimes .. system hanging sometimes, some ports and power
switches only working sometimes.

This morning when I switched on there was no display - ie No
Input. After several re-boots - with power off now working and so having to
switch off at mains supply - it booted only to display this msg:
"Warning the system is now in safe mode. Please reset overclocking features
in SETUP MENU"

Have no idea what its going on about ... wouldn't know an overclock from an
under one :-)
Any ideas ...

TIA
--
Kate

--
Kath

Puff Less
*****\o/*****
B-r-e-a-t-h-e M-o-r-e
4 answers Last reply
More about neo2 platinum 3200

    Guess the first thing is to strip it down to just the basics - PSU,
    motherboard, CPU, memory, harddrive, graphics card. See if you can boot
    from there.

    What PSU are you using? Is it powerful enough for what you are driving?

    Check you have the latest bios installed. Do the settings look sensible
    for your system?

    Guess thats some stuff to check without knowing exactly whats wrong

    Kate wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    > Can someone please offer some guidance to save my sanity:-0
    >
    > 3 day old PC - MSI Neo2 Platinum Mainboard with AMD 3200+ skt 939, 512mb
    > Corsair Value Select 3200, 400ddr.
    > Because I'm waiting for the new 64bit OS [one can live in hope ] decided to
    > stick with Win 98 for the moment.
    >
    > Been having instability problems from the outset with AOpen DVD drive only
    > starting up sometimes .. system hanging sometimes, some ports and power
    > switches only working sometimes.
    >
    > This morning when I switched on there was no display - ie No
    > Input. After several re-boots - with power off now working and so having to
    > switch off at mains supply - it booted only to display this msg:
    > "Warning the system is now in safe mode. Please reset overclocking features
    > in SETUP MENU"
    >
    > Have no idea what its going on about ... wouldn't know an overclock from an
    > under one :-)
    > Any ideas ...
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Kate
    >
    > --
    > Kath
    >
    > Puff Less
    > *****\o/*****
    > B-r-e-a-t-h-e M-o-r-e

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Just reading here:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17340781

    have you got both the 20pin and 4pin power cables connected?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Stormrider, thanx for your comments.
    As it happens the system was put together by the shop and taking any
    components out would void the warranty.

    The bios is v 1.3 so that's OK, the PSU is a Tagan 380 silent - with 2 case
    fans that should suffice.
    From what I've read on forums the BIOS settings look like the defaults but
    again I don't want to alter something that might give the vendor grounds to
    say *I've* 'broken it' ... if you know what I mean.

    I just wanted some kind of idea of what might be causing such instability so
    not to be blinded with vendor technobaffle :-)

    Kate

    Stormrider <news@news.news> wrote in message
    > Guess the first thing is to strip it down to just the basics - PSU,
    > motherboard, CPU, memory, harddrive, graphics card. See if you can boot
    > from there.
    >
    > What PSU are you using? Is it powerful enough for what you are driving?
    >
    > Check you have the latest bios installed. Do the settings look sensible
    > for your system?
    >
    > Guess thats some stuff to check without knowing exactly whats wrong
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Ah, I see.

    TBH it could be anything from dodgy PSU, mobo, cpu, heatsink not
    properly seated, connector not in place, memory not being fully
    compatible with the mobo with that bios revision or any number of other
    things.

    Best bet I guess is to take it back and give them an earful :)

    Kate wrote:
    > Stormrider, thanx for your comments.
    > As it happens the system was put together by the shop and taking any
    > components out would void the warranty.
    >
    > The bios is v 1.3 so that's OK, the PSU is a Tagan 380 silent - with 2 case
    > fans that should suffice.
    > From what I've read on forums the BIOS settings look like the defaults but
    > again I don't want to alter something that might give the vendor grounds to
    > say *I've* 'broken it' ... if you know what I mean.
    >
    > I just wanted some kind of idea of what might be causing such instability so
    > not to be blinded with vendor technobaffle :-)
    >
    > Kate

MSI-Microstar Platinum Motherboards