K7N2 Delta 2 + Athlon 3200+

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just bought this combo from Newegg. When I fired it up, it did not
post and I smelled something burning. I powered it off as quickly as
possible. I fear that the CPU and/or motherboard are fried. This
combo should work, shouldn't it? Did I get a faulty board or CPU?

All of the other components, including the power supply, were moved
over from my older machine (which is an Athlon 2700+ on an MSI K7N2-V
board).

Any suggestions on how to test this? Should I just try to send them
both back for replacements?

Thanks,
Larry

Ouch.....
you didn't like inadvertantly put the cpu in sideways or upside down did
you? If you look carefully at the board you should be able to see what
fried..... that should give you an indication as to weather or not you can
RMA it. Most places wont RMA for installation error though, so check it out
good. Yes that chip will work with that board, provided it's an Athlon
XP3200 32 bit chip and not an Athlon64 3200. I have an XP2500+ in a K7N2
Delta ILSR and it works fine. Good luck :)

John