Anyone seen Abhilash???

A few days ago I followed some instructions from Abhilash and they are
appended below and refer to my pen drive which crashed my PC.
Would some kind soul take a look and advise me. I seem to have tried
everything to no avail.
Many thanks.

Neville

Dear Abhilash,

Thank you very much for this advice. I will now tell you what has happened.
Firstly, I followed your instructions re disabling background programs then
connected, disconnected the Flash Drive and on disconnecting, my computer
went into a restart routine.
Secondly, I disconnected all USB devices as told, did the same thing with
the drive and my computer crashed with the blue screen. Tried it in another
port on the back of the computer - same result.
Lastly, tried the drive in my son's computer, also XP with SP2 and it worked
perfectly OK.
If this all means that there is a conflict with the internal cardreader I am
quite happy to disable it if that can be done, as I rarely use it.I would
much rather have access to the Flash Drive.
I remain posting in the group rather than direct contact, I was just afraid
that my post was getting further down the batting order and rapidly
disappearing.

Many thanks indeed,

Neville
Silver Surfer rapidly turning White.

"Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

> Hi Neville,
>
> It is rather strange that Windows crashes even when no data is being
> transferred to the pen drive. it is possible that some background program
> is secretly accessing the pen drive. Perform "msconfig" to disable all
> background software temporarily.
>
> 1. Click Start and select Run.
> 2. Type MSConfig and press Enter.
> 3. Click the Startup tab.
> 4. Click Disable All
> 5. Click OK.
> 6. Restart the system.
>
> If you are getting a message "System Configuration Utility you are using
> the selective startup for troubleshooting your system", I suggest you
> check the check box in that window and click OK. This occurs if you are
> using the Selective startup option and not using the normal startup to
> reduce the number of startup programs.
>
> Now reconnect/disconnect the pen drive and check if the issue occurs. If
> issue occurs, disconnect all USB devices(except card reader, keyboard and
> mouse, if they are USB) and then try again. You can also try different USB
> ports on the computer. Also try a different computer(to rule out conflict
> with card reader) and check if the issue occurs on that too.
>
> You can write directly to me, though i prefer posting in the newsgroup(so
> everyone can contribute to the case)
>
> Abhilash Tibrewal
>

> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message
>> My internal card reader appears to be working correctly, at least the
>> reader for Compact Flash Card is, so I presume they all work.
>> I have followed the procedure outlined and found that the device was
>> already optimised for quick removal. Having gone through the procedure
>> and ensured that no data transfer was taking place, I removed the device
>> and my computer crashed.
>>
>> The blue screen shows the following data which I hope will tell you
>> something about the problem.
>>
>> Bad Pool Caller
>> Tech.Information.
>> STOP 0x000000c2 (0x00000007,0x00000cd4,0x020c0001,0x82dcd638)
>>
>> It must be obvious to you that this means very little to me and I seek
>> your guidance. If you want further information from me about my computer
>> I will gladly post it, and I thank you for your help.
>>
>> Is there any way of bringing this post to the top of the list,or
>> corresponding direct with you.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>

>> Neville
>>
>> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
>>>

>>> If your internal card reader is working fine, do not update the chipset
>>> drivers right now. Ensure that while using the "Safely Remove hardware"
>>> wizard, you are removing the correct device.
>>>
>>> Also check that your pen drive is "optimized for quick removal".
>>> 1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
>>> 2. Click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
>>> 3. Expand Disk Drives, right-click your storage device, and then click
>>> Properties.
>>> 4. Click the Policies tab, click Optimize for quick removal, and then
>>> click OK.
>>>
>>> Optimizing for quick removal will ensure that whatever data is copied to
>>> the pen drive will be written immediately without being cached. Now you
>>> can remove the pen drive even without using the "Safely Remove hardware
>>> wizard" as long as you are sure that no data is being written to the
>>> drive.
>>>
>>> Let us know if this helps.
>>>

>>> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message

Hi Neville, I am back. This really is a strange problem. Since the pen drive
works fine on another computer, at least we know that the pen drive and SP2
are not causing the issue. Other possibilities:

1. conflict due to the internal card reader. If you are comfortable with
hardware, you can simply disconnect the USB cable to the internal cardreader
by opening the computer case. If not, start the computer and use the Safely
remove hardware icon to remove(disable) the card reader. The card reader
will remain disabled till the next reboot.

2. conflict/bug between some services running on the computer. Once again
perform msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services.

Click Start and select Run.
Type MSConfig and press Enter.
Click the Services tab.
Check "Hide all non-Microsoft services" (Important step)
Click Disable All
Click OK.
Restart the system.

3. virus on your computer. If the issue persists, I suggest you update the
Antivirus software installed on your system and do a full system scan.

Let me know one more fact. Connect the pen drive to your son's computer and
note the drive letter it takes. Check whether the same drive letter was
already taken by the internal card reader on your computer.

Let us know the results.

> [...]
>>> already optimised for quick removal. Having gone through the procedure
>>> and ensured that no data transfer was taking place, I removed the device
>>> and my computer crashed.
>>>
>>> The blue screen shows the following data which I hope will tell you
>>> something about the problem.
>>>
>>> Bad Pool Caller
>>> Tech.Information.
>>> STOP 0x000000c2 (0x00000007,0x00000cd4,0x020c0001,0x82dcd638)
>>>
>>> It must be obvious to you that this means very little to me and I seek
>>> your guidance. If you want further information from me about my computer
>>> I will gladly post it, and I thank you for your help.
>>>
>>> Is there any way of bringing this post to the top of the list,or
>>> corresponding direct with you.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>

>>> Neville
>>>
>>> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

Thank you for returning to this matter.

I disabled card reader from the System Tray, but it still crashes.

I disabled all non Microsoft Services, still crashed.

My antivirus is updated everyday and I do a full scan weekly. I have done
both today but it still crashes.
My son is at work but he will check which drive letter is allocated and that
the next available letter is allocated or otherwise.

I have found a FAQ on this site which relates to the type of drive I have
and which recommends re-allocation of letter for drives. Go here
http://www.integralmemory.com/faq.aspx#55
My original post shows the allocation of letters on my PC and if
reallocation is necessary I will need to get a hard hat and act under
guidance.

I will come back to you after my son tells me which drive is allocated.

Many thanks indeed,

Neville

> [...]
>>> 6. Restart the system.
>>>
>>> If you are getting a message "System Configuration Utility you are using
>>> the selective startup for troubleshooting your system", I suggest you
>>> check the check box in that window and click OK. This occurs if you are
>>> using the Selective startup option and not using the normal startup to
>>> reduce the number of startup programs.
>>>
>>> Now reconnect/disconnect the pen drive and check if the issue occurs. If
>>> issue occurs, disconnect all USB devices(except card reader, keyboard
>>> and
>>> mouse, if they are USB) and then try again. You can also try different
>>> USB
>>> ports on the computer. Also try a different computer(to rule out
>>> conflict
>>> with card reader) and check if the issue occurs on that too.
>>>
>>> You can write directly to me, though i prefer posting in the

Further to yesterday's post, I have now tried it in my son's computer and it
allocates "F" drive.
If the Flash drive is removed and he then puts in his external card reader
which has 4 drives which are allocated F,G,H,I my drive is allocated J and
still works.

Were you able to read the answer given in the link I sent to you. It was in
answer to a question relating to "Everytime I plug in my USB drive etc etc"
..

There does seem to be a question mark over the allocation of drive letters.

Perhaps I can try that under your guidance. If that doesn't work I'll give
up and use it when I need to and only remove it after my computer is closed
down. I don't like giving up on these things though.

Best wishes,

Neville

> [...]
>>> another
>>> port on the back of the computer - same result.
>>> Lastly, tried the drive in my son's computer, also XP with SP2 and it
>>> worked
>>> perfectly OK.
>>> If this all means that there is a conflict with the internal cardreader
>>> I am
>>> quite happy to disable it if that can be done, as I rarely use it.I
>>> would
>>> much rather have access to the Flash Drive.
>>> I remain posting in the group rather than direct contact, I was just
>>> afraid
>>> that my post was getting further down the batting order and rapidly
>>> disappearing.
>>>
>>> Many thanks indeed,
>>>
>>> Neville
>>> Silver Surfer rapidly turning White.
>>>

>>> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

Hi Nivelle,

We are similar in that I too do not like to give up on such things. Try
changing the drive letter assigned to the pen drive:

Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.

Find the Storage category and under it, choose Disk Management (Local).

Right-click on current drive letter and choose Change Drive Letter and
Paths.

When the drive appears in the dialog window, choose Change.

Select drive letter you want to use then click OK.

If this does not work, it may be due to some weirdness on the part of the
WinXP USB drivers on the affected system.

> [...]
>>> The card reader will remain disabled till the next reboot.
>>>
>>> 2. conflict/bug between some services running on the computer. Once
>>> again perform msconfig to disable all non-Microsoft services.
>>>
>>> Click Start and select Run.
>>> Type MSConfig and press Enter.
>>> Click the Services tab.
>>> Check "Hide all non-Microsoft services" (Important step)
>>> Click Disable All
>>> Click OK.
>>> Restart the system.
>>>
>>> 3. virus on your computer. If the issue persists, I suggest you update
>>> the Antivirus software installed on your system and do a full system
>>> scan.
>>>
>>> Let me know one more fact. Connect the pen drive to your son's computer
>>> and note the drive letter it takes. Check whether the same drive letter
>>> was already taken by the internal card reader on your computer.

Thank you very much for this instruction.
Before I carry it through I need to clear a couple of things up.
Do you want me to insert the pen drive in the port first. If so, it will
allocate drive L. That being the case I will right click on that drive and
change it to F, which is already allocated to DVDRom. Would that cause a
problem? Or do you want me to change the existing drive F for the DVD Rom to
L, thereby freeing up drive F.

Hope I've made myself clear.

Many thanks,

Neville

> Hi Nivelle,
>
> We are similar in that I too do not like to give up on such things. Try
> changing the drive letter assigned to the pen drive:
>
> Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.
>
> Find the Storage category and under it, choose Disk Management (Local).
>
> Right-click on current drive letter and choose Change Drive Letter and
> Paths.
>
> When the drive appears in the dialog window, choose Change.
>
> Select drive letter you want to use then click OK.
>
> If this does not work, it may be due to some weirdness on the part of the
> WinXP USB drivers on the affected system.
>
> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message
>> Further to yesterday's post, I have now tried it in my son's computer and
>> it allocates "F" drive.
>> If the Flash drive is removed and he then puts in his external card
>> reader which has 4 drives which are allocated F,G,H,I my drive is
>> allocated J and still works.
>>
>> Were you able to read the answer given in the link I sent to you. It was
>> in answer to a question relating to "Everytime I plug in my USB drive etc
>> etc" .
>>
>> There does seem to be a question mark over the allocation of drive
>> letters.
>>
>> Perhaps I can try that under your guidance. If that doesn't work I'll
>> give up and use it when I need to and only remove it after my computer is
>> closed down. I don't like giving up on these things though.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Neville
>>

>> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message
>>> Thank you for returning to this matter.
>>>
>>> I disabled card reader from the System Tray, but it still crashes.
>>>
>>> I disabled all non Microsoft Services, still crashed.
>>>
>>> My antivirus is updated everyday and I do a full scan weekly. I have
>>> done both today but it still crashes.
>>> My son is at work but he will check which drive letter is allocated and
>>> that the next available letter is allocated or otherwise.
>>>
>>> I have found a FAQ on this site which relates to the type of drive I
>>> have and which recommends re-allocation of letter for drives. Go here
>>> http://www.integralmemory.com/faq.aspx#55
>>> My original post shows the allocation of letters on my PC and if
>>> reallocation is necessary I will need to get a hard hat and act under
>>> guidance.
>>>
>>> I will come back to you after my son tells me which drive is allocated.
>>>
>>> Many thanks indeed,
>>>
>>> Neville
>>>
>>> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message

Dear Abhilash,

As you were not around to answer my query I went ahead and changed the drive
letter of my DVD Rom from F to L and then plugged in the flash drive. It was
recognised as letter F, but on removing it, the computer went into restart.
So that didn't work.
Have we now exhausted the checklist?
Obviously I can get by with removing it after shutdown, but it's just
annoying not to be able to solve it.

Thanks very much for your help.

Neville

> Thank you very much for this instruction.
> Before I carry it through I need to clear a couple of things up.
> Do you want me to insert the pen drive in the port first. If so, it will
> allocate drive L. That being the case I will right click on that drive and
> change it to F, which is already allocated to DVDRom. Would that cause a
> problem? Or do you want me to change the existing drive F for the DVD Rom
> to L, thereby freeing up drive F.
>
> Hope I've made myself clear.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Neville
>

> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi Nivelle,
>>
>> We are similar in that I too do not like to give up on such things. Try
>> changing the drive letter assigned to the pen drive:
>>
>> Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.
>>
>> Find the Storage category and under it, choose Disk Management (Local).
>>
>> Right-click on current drive letter and choose Change Drive Letter and
>> Paths.
>>
>> When the drive appears in the dialog window, choose Change.
>>
>> Select drive letter you want to use then click OK.
>>
>> If this does not work, it may be due to some weirdness on the part of the
>> WinXP USB drivers on the affected system.
>>
>> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message
>>> Further to yesterday's post, I have now tried it in my son's computer
>>> and it allocates "F" drive.
>>> If the Flash drive is removed and he then puts in his external card
>>> reader which has 4 drives which are allocated F,G,H,I my drive is
>>> allocated J and still works.
>>>
>>> Were you able to read the answer given in the link I sent to you. It was
>>> in answer to a question relating to "Everytime I plug in my USB drive
>>> etc etc" .
>>>
>>> There does seem to be a question mark over the allocation of drive
>>> letters.
>>>
>>> Perhaps I can try that under your guidance. If that doesn't work I'll
>>> give up and use it when I need to and only remove it after my computer
>>> is closed down. I don't like giving up on these things though.
>>>
>>> Best wishes,
>>>
>>> Neville
>>>

>>> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message

Dear Neville,

As we have tried almost everything, it is possible that the issue is with
operating system files. Even a minor difference/corruption of system files
may cause devices to work unexpectedly.
This brings us to the solution which we all avoid, that is, to reinstall
Windows. Now it is for you to decide whether it is the best time to
reinstall Windows. Generally, i format/reinstall roughly every three months
to maintain the "integrity" of those important system files.

Abhilash

> Dear Abhilash,
>
> As you were not around to answer my query I went ahead and changed the
> drive letter of my DVD Rom from F to L and then plugged in the flash
> drive. It was recognised as letter F, but on removing it, the computer
> went into restart. So that didn't work.
> Have we now exhausted the checklist?
> Obviously I can get by with removing it after shutdown, but it's just
> annoying not to be able to solve it.
>
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Neville
>
> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message
>> Thank you very much for this instruction.
>> Before I carry it through I need to clear a couple of things up.
>> Do you want me to insert the pen drive in the port first. If so, it will
>> allocate drive L. That being the case I will right click on that drive
>> and change it to F, which is already allocated to DVDRom. Would that
>> cause a problem? Or do you want me to change the existing drive F for the
>> DVD Rom to L, thereby freeing up drive F.
>>
>> Hope I've made myself clear.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> Neville
>>

>> "Abhilash Tibrewal(MCSA)" <abhionnetATnospamsify.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Hi Nivelle,
>>>
>>> We are similar in that I too do not like to give up on such things. Try
>>> changing the drive letter assigned to the pen drive:
>>>
>>> Right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.
>>>
>>> Find the Storage category and under it, choose Disk Management (Local).
>>>
>>> Right-click on current drive letter and choose Change Drive Letter and
>>> Paths.
>>>
>>> When the drive appears in the dialog window, choose Change.
>>>
>>> Select drive letter you want to use then click OK.
>>>
>>> If this does not work, it may be due to some weirdness on the part of
>>> the WinXP USB drivers on the affected system.
>>>
>>> "Dragonfly" <wibbly@wobbly.plus.net> wrote in message

Dear Abhilash,

Thank you for replying.
Two things to take into account. First, my competence, and secondly the
worth of the Flash Drive, not just its monetary value but its worth to me as
a device.

NO CONTEST - I'll leave well alone.
Someone did suggest chipset drivers, way back.I have an Intel Springdale i
865PE
Many thanks indeed,

Neville