network is not accessible

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
March 23, 2005 5:05:04 PM

Hi, I'm a homeworker with a PC trying to set up a broadband wireless network
with two notebooks, all running XP Home Edition SP2. The PC has the printers
installed and I want the notebooks to have access to them. The router
software does not support this, but BT in the UK says that if you can access
the internet from any of the computers, it shouldn't be a problem. Neither
the wireless network or normal network set-up wizards work. My PC is an
ex-office networked coomputer that was upgraded from W98. The PC knows that I
have tried to set up the network and knows its name, but on Network Places I
get the message "XYZnetwork is not accessible. You might not have permission
to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this
workgroup is not currently available." I've spent two days going through
every possible work-through, including starting in safe mode, but nothing
works. Does my computer think it's still on its old network, even though I
can't find any reference to it, because another error message on the wizard
suggests that it's joined to a domain, but again I can't find anything. One
of the notebooks knows that a workgroup has been set up on the PC and
recognises its name, but again hasn't got permission from the PC to access
it. Please help.
--
aidan

More about : network accessible

Anonymous
March 24, 2005 5:27:07 PM

Your computer can't be joined to a domain if it's running XP Home Edition,
Home Edition isn't able to join domains. The links below should help you
with regards to network sharing:

http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...

"Aidan" <Aidan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm a homeworker with a PC trying to set up a broadband wireless
> network
> with two notebooks, all running XP Home Edition SP2. The PC has the
> printers
> installed and I want the notebooks to have access to them. The router
> software does not support this, but BT in the UK says that if you can
> access
> the internet from any of the computers, it shouldn't be a problem. Neither
> the wireless network or normal network set-up wizards work. My PC is an
> ex-office networked coomputer that was upgraded from W98. The PC knows
> that I
> have tried to set up the network and knows its name, but on Network Places
> get the message "XYZnetwork is not accessible. You might not have
> permission
> to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to
> find out if you have access permissions. The list of servers for this
> workgroup is not currently available." I've spent two days going through
> every possible work-through, including starting in safe mode, but nothing
> works. Does my computer think it's still on its old network, even though I
> can't find any reference to it, because another error message on the
> wizard
> suggests that it's joined to a domain, but again I can't find anything.
> One
> of the notebooks knows that a workgroup has been set up on the PC and
> recognises its name, but again hasn't got permission from the PC to access
> it. Please help.
> --
> aidan
March 25, 2005 6:57:02 AM

Thanks, Peter. I'd already gone through the first two work-throughs that you
list, but I will focus on the Network Places aspects of the Troubleshooting
Guide which I hadn't seen before. I'm still puzzled though by my host PC
needing permission to see/access its own network that it's created. Any hints
please on how I solve this?

!