Drake

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001

Freshly built system
Hardware Config:

MSI Neo 2 Plat
Bios upgraded to 1.40
Athlon 64 3500+
Corsair Value Select RAM - 2 512 MB chips (Kit m#VS1GBKIT400)
Fresh Install Win XP SP2
Early in install, so very few programs or drivers installed.

1) Why are there now 3 entries for each controller on my system (3 for
primary, 3 for secondary, 3 for PCI IDE Controller)? And while all entries
are set for "DMA if Available", Only the 2nd entry properties for each
controller has information in the "Current Transfer Mode" field. The 1st &
3rd entries all have "Not Applicable"in the field.

2) Why am I only running DDR 333, single channel, 64 bit, mem clock 166mhz?
I am thinking that my RAM may be double-sided. The specs from the Corsair
site are as follows:

VS1GBKIT400 PC3200 1024MB 2x64Mx64 2x184 DIMM

I suppose that 2x64Mx64 signifies double-sided?

As an aside, my HD started spitting out errors when trying to image the
install with Acronis TI 8. I know this is generally coincidence, but it
started right after switching from a P4 1.8ghz to the AMD set up. I imaged
the drive just before the hardware change without incident.

Thanks,
Drake

Drake

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001

For those who might be interested:

The memory was indeed double-sided, and changing the slot position resolved
the issue.
I suppose the "triple controller entries" issue might be due to the SATA
controllers on board, although they are disabled.

AS far as the HD goes, a strange coincidence, given that it worked perfectly
before I changed the motherboard, CPU & RAM, with no errors under the same
circumstances as in the previous stable system.

Time to change the HD...

"Drake" <dra@global.net> wrote in message
> Freshly built system
> Hardware Config:
>
> MSI Neo 2 Plat
> Bios upgraded to 1.40
> Athlon 64 3500+
> Corsair Value Select RAM - 2 512 MB chips (Kit m#VS1GBKIT400)
> Fresh Install Win XP SP2
> Early in install, so very few programs or drivers installed.
>
> 1) Why are there now 3 entries for each controller on my system (3 for
> primary, 3 for secondary, 3 for PCI IDE Controller)? And while all entries
> are set for "DMA if Available", Only the 2nd entry properties for each
> controller has information in the "Current Transfer Mode" field. The 1st &
> 3rd entries all have "Not Applicable"in the field.
>
> 2) Why am I only running DDR 333, single channel, 64 bit, mem clock
> 166mhz? I am thinking that my RAM may be double-sided. The specs from the
> Corsair site are as follows:
>
> VS1GBKIT400 PC3200 1024MB 2x64Mx64 2x184 DIMM
>

> I suppose that 2x64Mx64 signifies double-sided?
>
> As an aside, my HD started spitting out errors when trying to image the
> install with Acronis TI 8. I know this is generally coincidence, but it
> started right after switching from a P4 1.8ghz to the AMD set up. I imaged
> the drive just before the hardware change without incident.
>
> Thanks,
> Drake

Kate

Yes I've got the triple controllers Drake, tried removing the 'surplus' but
at boot it insisted on re-install -- no idea why ... perhaps someone might
have ....

Kath

"Kate" <kate@REMOVEbillkath.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Yes I've got the triple controllers Drake, tried removing the 'surplus'
> but
> at boot it insisted on re-install -- no idea why ... perhaps someone
> might
> have ....
>
> Kath

It must be a normal condition. I don't have a problem with it now that I
know that it's not an isolated incident.

Thanks,
Drake