Missing harddrive after Fresh XP & SP2 install **HELP**

February 24, 2005 9:17:05 PM

I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but I have not been able to
resolve it...

Basically after a fresh install of XP and SP2, my secondary 120gb hard drive
is not showing up in explorer. Device manager says it's there and that it's
working properly. Disk Management shows it as being unpartitioned, but I
have over 80 gigs of very important data that's on there. I downloaded the
chipset drivers from Biostars website, installed them, but still nothing.

Any tips, suggestions are most welcome...

Specs:
Biostar - M7NCG 400
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
512mb Kingston PC2700
80GB Maxtor HDD
120GB Western Digital HDD

AC
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:03:22 AM

Did you try using the Cable Select setting? Is it on the Secondary IDE
Channel as Master? For some reason my new
80G WD hard drive only works on Cable Select. Is the Bios set to Auto
Detect for all Drives?
"acjunglist203" <acjunglist203@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but I have not been able
> resolve it...
>
> Basically after a fresh install of XP and SP2, my secondary 120gb hard
> drive
> is not showing up in explorer. Device manager says it's there and that
> it's
> working properly. Disk Management shows it as being unpartitioned, but I
> have over 80 gigs of very important data that's on there. I downloaded
> the
> chipset drivers from Biostars website, installed them, but still nothing.
>
> Any tips, suggestions are most welcome...
>
> Specs:
> Biostar - M7NCG 400
> AMD Athlon XP 2600+
> 512mb Kingston PC2700
> 80GB Maxtor HDD
> 120GB Western Digital HDD
>
> AC
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 6:03:23 AM

Hi Rich,

I have the jumper set to slave and I the BIOS settings are on auto for all
drives. Should the jumper be set for something else?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Did you try using the Cable Select setting? Is it on the Secondary IDE
> Channel as Master? For some reason my new
> 80G WD hard drive only works on Cable Select. Is the Bios set to Auto
> Detect for all Drives?
> "acjunglist203" <acjunglist203@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but I have not been able
> > resolve it...
> >
> > Basically after a fresh install of XP and SP2, my secondary 120gb hard
> > drive
> > is not showing up in explorer. Device manager says it's there and that
> > it's
> > working properly. Disk Management shows it as being unpartitioned, but I
> > have over 80 gigs of very important data that's on there. I downloaded
> > the
> > chipset drivers from Biostars website, installed them, but still nothing.
> >
> > Any tips, suggestions are most welcome...
> >
> > Specs:
> > Biostar - M7NCG 400
> > AMD Athlon XP 2600+
> > 512mb Kingston PC2700
> > 80GB Maxtor HDD
> > 120GB Western Digital HDD
> >
> > AC

February 25, 2005 9:56:42 PM

Try cable select.
> Hi Rich,
>
> I have the jumper set to slave and I the BIOS settings are on auto for all
> drives. Should the jumper be set for something else?
>

> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>
>> Did you try using the Cable Select setting? Is it on the Secondary
>> IDE
>> Channel as Master? For some reason my new
>> 80G WD hard drive only works on Cable Select. Is the Bios set to Auto
>> Detect for all Drives?
>> "acjunglist203" <acjunglist203@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > I've searched the forums for an answer to this, but I have not been
>> > able
>> > resolve it...
>> >
>> > Basically after a fresh install of XP and SP2, my secondary 120gb hard
>> > drive
>> > is not showing up in explorer. Device manager says it's there and that
>> > it's
>> > working properly. Disk Management shows it as being unpartitioned, but
>> > have over 80 gigs of very important data that's on there. I downloaded
>> > the
>> > chipset drivers from Biostars website, installed them, but still
>> > nothing.
>> >
>> > Any tips, suggestions are most welcome...
>> >
>> > Specs:
>> > Biostar - M7NCG 400
>> > AMD Athlon XP 2600+
>> > 512mb Kingston PC2700
>> > 80GB Maxtor HDD
>> > 120GB Western Digital HDD
>> >
>> > AC

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:56:43 PM

Let us know if Cable Select did the trick.
"?Arthur" <.@..com> wrote in message
> Try cable select.
> "acjunglist203" <acjunglist203@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Rich,
>>
>> I have the jumper set to slave and I the BIOS settings are on auto for
>> all
>> drives. Should the jumper be set for something else?
>>

>> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>>
>>> Did you try using the Cable Select setting? Is it on the Secondary
>>> IDE
>>> Channel as Master? For some reason my new
>>> 80G WD hard drive only works on Cable Select. Is the Bios set to
>>> Auto
>>> Detect for all Drives?
>>> "acjunglist203" <acjunglist203@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:56:44 PM

Okay, I tried the cable select suggestion and still recognizing it as an
unpartitioned drive..I'm at a loss!

Anything else I can try?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Let us know if Cable Select did the trick.
> "?Arthur" <.@..com> wrote in message
> > Try cable select.
> > "acjunglist203" <acjunglist203@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi Rich,
> >>
> >> I have the jumper set to slave and I the BIOS settings are on auto for
> >> all
> >> drives. Should the jumper be set for something else?

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:56:45 PM

I would suggest taking the hard drive out of the computer and putting it in
an external hard drive enclosure that connects via USB. Remove any jumpers
on the pins when you do this. You of course would have to have an enclosure,
but it's good to have one on hand anyways.

--
Chris Hedlund
chedlund@alltel.net

--------