USB device never work if driver not installed first

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

I made the mistake by plugging a USB device before
installing the driver, Win XP with SP2 (and Win 98) couldn't detect
the device and installed the wrong driver for it.
I uninstalled the driver, installed the device driver, but no way
you can get the device to work ever again.
This happened to me on Sony camera, ADS drive kit, and
external LG DVD/RW.
Anybody knows how to reset windows without restoring
the registry and start fresh ? Maybe a registry cleaning
or changing that have to be done.

peter

HI,

You can clear the registry by running regedit on the Enum USB,
HKEY Local Machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB/Vid_xxxxxxxxxxx
Find the Vid for your device and delete the keys.
Backup the regtistry before deletion.

Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller and
then reboot. Windows shhould found new hardware and reinstall the USB drivers.
Care: disconnect the USB devices before uninstall.

Hope it helps.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> I made the mistake by plugging a USB device before
> installing the driver, Win XP with SP2 (and Win 98) couldn't detect
> the device and installed the wrong driver for it.
> I uninstalled the driver, installed the device driver, but no way
> you can get the device to work ever again.
> This happened to me on Sony camera, ADS drive kit, and
> external LG DVD/RW.
> Anybody knows how to reset windows without restoring
> the registry and start fresh ? Maybe a registry cleaning
> or changing that have to be done.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hello Peter,

> Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller and
> then reboot.

I believe its a bug in Win XP, I think above never works again,
unless you do it right from the beginning.
I had to return the ADS and LG drive thinking there is something
wrong with the devices, but still have the Sony camera, that works
one computer but not on the one that I want it to work on.

Ted

> HI,
>
> You can clear the registry by running regedit on the Enum USB,
> HKEY Local Machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB/Vid_xxxxxxxxxxx
> Find the Vid for your device and delete the keys.
> Backup the regtistry before deletion.
>
> Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller and
> then reboot. Windows shhould found new hardware and reinstall the USB
> drivers.
> Care: disconnect the USB devices before uninstall.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Peter
>
> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> I made the mistake by plugging a USB device before
>> installing the driver, Win XP with SP2 (and Win 98) couldn't detect
>> the device and installed the wrong driver for it.
>> I uninstalled the driver, installed the device driver, but no way
>> you can get the device to work ever again.
>> This happened to me on Sony camera, ADS drive kit, and
>> external LG DVD/RW.
>> Anybody knows how to reset windows without restoring
>> the registry and start fresh ? Maybe a registry cleaning
>> or changing that have to be done.

peter

Ted,

Have you tried what I have suggested?

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> > Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller and
> > then reboot.
>
> I believe its a bug in Win XP, I think above never works again,
> unless you do it right from the beginning.
> I had to return the ADS and LG drive thinking there is something
> wrong with the devices, but still have the Sony camera, that works
> one computer but not on the one that I want it to work on.
>
> Ted
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HI,
> >
> > You can clear the registry by running regedit on the Enum USB,
> > HKEY Local Machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB/Vid_xxxxxxxxxxx
> > Find the Vid for your device and delete the keys.
> > Backup the regtistry before deletion.
> >
> > Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller and
> > then reboot. Windows shhould found new hardware and reinstall the USB
> > drivers.
> > Care: disconnect the USB devices before uninstall.
> >
> > Hope it helps.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> I made the mistake by plugging a USB device before
> >> installing the driver, Win XP with SP2 (and Win 98) couldn't detect
> >> the device and installed the wrong driver for it.
> >> I uninstalled the driver, installed the device driver, but no way
> >> you can get the device to work ever again.
> >> This happened to me on Sony camera, ADS drive kit, and
> >> external LG DVD/RW.
> >> Anybody knows how to reset windows without restoring
> >> the registry and start fresh ? Maybe a registry cleaning
> >> or changing that have to be done.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi Peter,

> Have you tried what I have suggested?
Ops apologies, I have done that many times, that is why
I posted the first message.

Ted

> Ted,
>
> Have you tried what I have suggested?
>
> Peter
>
> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> > Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller
>> > and
>> > then reboot.
>>
>> I believe its a bug in Win XP, I think above never works again,
>> unless you do it right from the beginning.
>> I had to return the ADS and LG drive thinking there is something
>> wrong with the devices, but still have the Sony camera, that works
>> one computer but not on the one that I want it to work on.
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > HI,
>> >
>> > You can clear the registry by running regedit on the Enum USB,
>> > HKEY Local Machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB/Vid_xxxxxxxxxxx
>> > Find the Vid for your device and delete the keys.
>> > Backup the regtistry before deletion.
>> >
>> > Or, simply go to device manager and uninstall the USB host controller
>> > and
>> > then reboot. Windows shhould found new hardware and reinstall the USB
>> > drivers.
>> > Care: disconnect the USB devices before uninstall.
>> >
>> > Hope it helps.
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> > Have you tried what I have suggested?
> Ops apologies, I have done that many times, that is why
> I posted the first message.
>
> Ted
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > Have you tried what I have suggested?
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Peter,

> >> I believe its a bug in Win XP, I think above never works again,
> >> unless you do it right from the beginning.
> >> I had to return the ADS and LG drive thinking there is something
> >> wrong with the devices, but still have the Sony camera, that works
> >> one computer but not on the one that I want it to work on.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>
> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

> I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?

I did the Uninstall hardware from Device Manager and rebooted.
You said Or, figured I don't need to remove it from registry.
I get error deleting the VID keys.
It also has USBStor with all the USB drives that I installed
in the past, but non will delete.
I have full administrator permission to edit registry.

> Ted,
>
> I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?
>
> Peter
>
> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> > Have you tried what I have suggested?
>> Ops apologies, I have done that many times, that is why
>> I posted the first message.
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > Have you tried what I have suggested?
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

Try run regedit as follows:

HKEY Local machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB,
double click the USB folder, found the Vid keys that relevant to the device
that you want to delete and than delete the whole Vid keys.
If errors occurred that you couldn't allow to delete the Vid keys, right
click on the Vid key, click permissions, select Full control in the
Permissions for Everyone area, click Apply and OK.
Now try to delete the Vid keys again.
Care: export the registries and save to a specific folder before any deletion.

Hope it helps.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> > I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?
>
> I did the Uninstall hardware from Device Manager and rebooted.
> You said Or, figured I don't need to remove it from registry.
> I get error deleting the VID keys.
> It also has USBStor with all the USB drives that I installed
> in the past, but non will delete.
> I have full administrator permission to edit registry.
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,

> >> Ops apologies, I have done that many times, that is why
> >> I posted the first message.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>

> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi Peter,

I got it, thanks.
It seems when the device is uninstalled from the device manager,
it fails to remove it from the registry.
I don't have the Sony Camera, I will get it tomorrow and try
install it again. Will let you know.

Ted

> Ted,
>
> Try run regedit as follows:
>
> HKEY Local machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB,
> double click the USB folder, found the Vid keys that relevant to the
> device
> that you want to delete and than delete the whole Vid keys.
> If errors occurred that you couldn't allow to delete the Vid keys, right
> click on the Vid key, click permissions, select Full control in the
> Permissions for Everyone area, click Apply and OK.
> Now try to delete the Vid keys again.
> Care: export the registries and save to a specific folder before any
> deletion.
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Peter
>

> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> > I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?
>>
>> I did the Uninstall hardware from Device Manager and rebooted.
>> You said Or, figured I don't need to remove it from registry.
>> I get error deleting the VID keys.
>> It also has USBStor with all the USB drives that I installed
>> in the past, but non will delete.
>> I have full administrator permission to edit registry.
>>

>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > I meant have you run regedit to clear the invalid Vid keys?
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

OK, let me know to-morrow.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I got it, thanks.
> It seems when the device is uninstalled from the device manager,
> it fails to remove it from the registry.
> I don't have the Sony Camera, I will get it tomorrow and try
> install it again. Will let you know.
>
> Ted
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > Try run regedit as follows:
> >
> > HKEY Local machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB,
> > double click the USB folder, found the Vid keys that relevant to the
> > device
> > that you want to delete and than delete the whole Vid keys.
> > If errors occurred that you couldn't allow to delete the Vid keys, right
> > click on the Vid key, click permissions, select Full control in the
> > Permissions for Everyone area, click Apply and OK.
> > Now try to delete the Vid keys again.
> > Care: export the registries and save to a specific folder before any
> > deletion.
> >
> > Hope it helps.
> >
> > Peter

> >> I did the Uninstall hardware from Device Manager and rebooted.
> >> You said Or, figured I don't need to remove it from registry.
> >> I get error deleting the VID keys.
> >> It also has USBStor with all the USB drives that I installed
> >> in the past, but non will delete.
> >> I have full administrator permission to edit registry.
> >>

> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hello Peter,

>> It seems when the device is uninstalled from the device manager,
>> it fails to remove it from the registry.

Maybe my statement is wrong.
Most likely it leaves it for next time USB device connection.

Ted

> Ted,
>
> OK, let me know to-morrow.
>
> Peter
>

> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> I got it, thanks.
>> It seems when the device is uninstalled from the device manager,
>> it fails to remove it from the registry.
>> I don't have the Sony Camera, I will get it tomorrow and try
>> install it again. Will let you know.
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > Try run regedit as follows:
>> >
>> > HKEY Local machine/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Enum/USB,
>> > double click the USB folder, found the Vid keys that relevant to the
>> > device
>> > that you want to delete and than delete the whole Vid keys.
>> > If errors occurred that you couldn't allow to delete the Vid keys,
>> > right
>> > click on the Vid key, click permissions, select Full control in the
>> > Permissions for Everyone area, click Apply and OK.
>> > Now try to delete the Vid keys again.
>> > Care: export the registries and save to a specific folder before any
>> > deletion.
>> >
>> > Hope it helps.
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

Yes, uninstall device from device manager would not delete the registry keys.
You should not delete the registry key unless the drivers of that USB device
was improperly loaded or could not be loaded.

I have two digicams, Sony and Canon, both working flawlessly with my two XP
Pro SP2 machines.

BTW, let me know the model and driver version of your Sony digicam. There
may be updated drivers for your cam.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> >> It seems when the device is uninstalled from the device manager,
> >> it fails to remove it from the registry.
>
> Maybe my statement is wrong.
> Most likely it leaves it for next time USB device connection.
>
> Ted
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > OK, let me know to-morrow.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> I got it, thanks.
> >> It seems when the device is uninstalled from the device manager,
> >> it fails to remove it from the registry.
> >> I don't have the Sony Camera, I will get it tomorrow and try
> >> install it again. Will let you know.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>

> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi peter,

It is Cyber Shot DSC P41.
Works OK in one XP machine.
But no luck with the XP I want it to work on.
Removing the VID and re-installing software worked fine.
But the second time I plugged in the USB, XP crashed
with error:
0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8 0x80511098 0x00000000)
Restarted computer and the camera worked OK, until
I remove it and insert it a second time.

I looked in MS Knowledge Base, found no related articles.
except may be because the HP USB printer is unplugged ??

Thanks

Ted

> Ted,
>
> Yes, uninstall device from device manager would not delete the registry
> keys.
> You should not delete the registry key unless the drivers of that USB
> device
> was improperly loaded or could not be loaded.
>
> I have two digicams, Sony and Canon, both working flawlessly with my two
> XP
> Pro SP2 machines.
>
> BTW, let me know the model and driver version of your Sony digicam. There
> may be updated drivers for your cam.
>
> Peter
>
> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,

>> Maybe my statement is wrong.
>> Most likely it leaves it for next time USB device connection.
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > OK, let me know to-morrow.
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

Below are the links for drivers update and FAQ:
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=DSCP41
http://esupport.sony.com/perl/faq-model.pl?template=EN&mdl=DSCP41

Your digicam should be USB 2.0, are you using USB2.0 for connection?
If yes, is it an onboard USB2.0 chips or PCI USB 2.0 card?
I think it is an onboard USB chips as you said you have unpluged the HP
printer.
For older mobo over 4 years, it only has limited USB ports (may be only 2
USB 1.0 ports)
Well, I don't think the unplug of USB printer would cause problems.
It may be caused by the mobo BIOS or I/O chipset drivers.
I would suggest you to update the mobo chipset drivers first and if the
symptom persists, update the mobo BIOS as well. Special care should be taken
for BIOS update as an improper update of BIOS may turn your PC to a dead
stone and the repair charges is expensive. Load setup default after updated
BIOS and then adjust the BIOS to suit your requirements.

Note: you may also need to change the battery on the mobo if it is over 3
years.
In some cases, the CMOS cause troubles if the battery is too weak.

BTW, if you does not have sufficient USB 2.0 ports to connect all your USB
devices,
I would suggest you to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card (prefer to use NEC chipset for
mobo using intel chipsets, for mobo using VIA chipsets, you may buy the USB
card using VIA chipsets as it is a little bit cheaper). A 4+1 port USB 2.0
card with NEC chipsets cost only about $10.- to $15.-

Let me know the outcome.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hi peter,
>
> It is Cyber Shot DSC P41.
> Works OK in one XP machine.
> But no luck with the XP I want it to work on.
> Removing the VID and re-installing software worked fine.
> But the second time I plugged in the USB, XP crashed
> with error:
> 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8 0x80511098 0x00000000)
> Restarted computer and the camera worked OK, until
> I remove it and insert it a second time.
>
> I looked in MS Knowledge Base, found no related articles.
> except may be because the HP USB printer is unplugged ??
>
> Thanks
>
> Ted
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > Yes, uninstall device from device manager would not delete the registry
> > keys.
> > You should not delete the registry key unless the drivers of that USB
> > device
> > was improperly loaded or could not be loaded.
> >
> > I have two digicams, Sony and Canon, both working flawlessly with my two
> > XP
> > Pro SP2 machines.
> >
> > BTW, let me know the model and driver version of your Sony digicam. There
> > may be updated drivers for your cam.
> >
> > Peter
> >
> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Peter,

> >> Maybe my statement is wrong.
> >> Most likely it leaves it for next time USB device connection.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>

> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi Peter,

> I would suggest you to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card
I think I will try that first before updating the BIOS.
The computer is about three years old, with onboard 2 USB1
slots.
I do have an extra 4 slot USB2 PCI card, that I will install.
I think it should take care of it, will let you know.

Thanks again.

Ted

> [...]
>> I remove it and insert it a second time.
>>
>> I looked in MS Knowledge Base, found no related articles.
>> except may be because the HP USB printer is unplugged ??
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > Yes, uninstall device from device manager would not delete the registry
>> > keys.
>> > You should not delete the registry key unless the drivers of that USB
>> > device
>> > was improperly loaded or could not be loaded.
>> >
>> > I have two digicams, Sony and Canon, both working flawlessly with my
>> > two
>> > XP
>> > Pro SP2 machines.
>> >
>> > BTW, let me know the model and driver version of your Sony digicam.

Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery as it
has been using for 3 years.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> [...]
> > USB
> > card using VIA chipsets as it is a little bit cheaper). A 4+1 port USB 2.0
> > card with NEC chipsets cost only about $10.- to $15.-
> >
> > Let me know the outcome.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi peter,
> >>
> >> It is Cyber Shot DSC P41.
> >> Works OK in one XP machine.
> >> But no luck with the XP I want it to work on.
> >> Removing the VID and re-installing software worked fine.
> >> But the second time I plugged in the USB, XP crashed
> >> with error:
> >> 0x00000050 (0xFFFFFFE8 0x80511098 0x00000000)
> >> Restarted computer and the camera worked OK, until
> >> I remove it and insert it a second time.
> >>
> >> I looked in MS Knowledge Base, found no related articles.
> >> except may be because the HP USB printer is unplugged ??

I did install a USB 2, with a NEC chipset, but
the problem is the same.
For few other reasons, we decided to replace the computer.
USB suppose to make things easier, but unfortunately
it is not as easy, and it have big bugs.
Thank you very much for the help, I know how to go about
removing VIDs and fix the problem if it happens in another
computer.
Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
devices other than NEC chipsets.

> Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery as
> it
> has been using for 3 years.

I found that the MB is generic, and that is one of the reasons
we are going to replace it.

Ted

> Ted,
>
> Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery as
> it
> has been using for 3 years.
>
> Peter
>

> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> > I would suggest you to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card
>> I think I will try that first before updating the BIOS.
>> The computer is about three years old, with onboard 2 USB1
>> slots.
>> I do have an extra 4 slot USB2 PCI card, that I will install.
>> I think it should take care of it, will let you know.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Ted
>>

>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > Below are the links for drivers update and FAQ:
>> > http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-list.pl?template=EN&mdl=DSCP41
>> > http://esupport.sony.com/perl/faq-model.pl?template=EN&mdl=DSCP41
>> >
>> > Your digicam should be USB 2.0, are you using USB2.0 for connection?
>> > If yes, is it an onboard USB2.0 chips or PCI USB 2.0 card?
>> > I think it is an onboard USB chips as you said you have unpluged the HP
>> > printer.
>> > For older mobo over 4 years, it only has limited USB ports (may be only
>> > 2
>> > USB 1.0 ports)
>> > Well, I don't think the unplug of USB printer would cause problems.
>> > It may be caused by the mobo BIOS or I/O chipset drivers.
>> > I would suggest you to update the mobo chipset drivers first and if the
>> > symptom persists, update the mobo BIOS as well. Special care should be
>> > taken
>> > for BIOS update as an improper update of BIOS may turn your PC to a
>> > dead
>> > stone and the repair charges is expensive. Load setup default after
>> > updated
>> > BIOS and then adjust the BIOS to suit your requirements.
>> >
>> > Note: you may also need to change the battery on the mobo if it is over
>> > 3
>> > years.
>> > In some cases, the CMOS cause troubles if the battery is too weak.
>> >
>> > BTW, if you does not have sufficient USB 2.0 ports to connect all your
>> > USB
>> > devices,
>> > I would suggest you to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card (prefer to use NEC
>> > chipset
>> > for
>> > mobo using intel chipsets, for mobo using VIA chipsets, you may buy the
>> > USB
>> > card using VIA chipsets as it is a little bit cheaper). A 4+1 port USB
>> > 2.0
>> > card with NEC chipsets cost only about $10.- to $15.-
>> >
>> > Let me know the outcome.
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

ed,

I think the chipset drivers and/or the mobo BIOS is the culprit.
You can download Belarc Advisor to have a detail info of your system.
You can download it from : http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Have you changed the mobo battery and then load the BIOS default setup?
Pls let me know the brand/model/self built and configurations of your PC so
that I can have more info to analyse the problem. You can easily get those
info after you have downloaded and installed the Belerc Advisor.

> Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
> devices other than NEC chipsets.

Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other than
NEC chipsets. What I meant to say was that if the mobo using Intel chipsets,
using NEC USB chipsets would be better than using a VIA USB chipsets. There
is nothing to do with MS.

BTW, it is a challenge to fix the problem. With the help of Belarc Advisor,
you would know the mobo BIOS, chipsets details, system BUS, softwares
installed and license, windows updated details, etc.
Hope you can try it and inform me the outcome.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hello Peter,
>
> I did install a USB 2, with a NEC chipset, but
> the problem is the same.
> For few other reasons, we decided to replace the computer.
> USB suppose to make things easier, but unfortunately
> it is not as easy, and it have big bugs.
> Thank you very much for the help, I know how to go about
> removing VIDs and fix the problem if it happens in another
> computer.
> Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
> devices other than NEC chipsets.
>
> > Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery as
> > it
> > has been using for 3 years.
>
> I found that the MB is generic, and that is one of the reasons
> we are going to replace it.
>
> Ted
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery as
> > it
> > has been using for 3 years.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,

> >> I think I will try that first before updating the BIOS.
> >> The computer is about three years old, with onboard 2 USB1
> >> slots.
> >> I do have an extra 4 slot USB2 PCI card, that I will install.
> >> I think it should take care of it, will let you know.
> >>
> >> Thanks again.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>

> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi Peter,

There other many reasons we are junking this computer.
Some computers these days, better to buy new ones
than try fixing them.
What I didn't understand, is all other USB devices
work OK in this computer, but not the Sony camera.
I wish I still have the ADS drive kit and LG CD-DVD/RW drive,
and would experiment with it. With those the problem was
on different computers than the above.

> Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other than
> NEC chipsets.
NEC is a Microsoft plug and play device, others need a driver.

Thanks

Ted

> ed,
>
> I think the chipset drivers and/or the mobo BIOS is the culprit.
> You can download Belarc Advisor to have a detail info of your system.
> You can download it from : http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>
> Have you changed the mobo battery and then load the BIOS default setup?
> Pls let me know the brand/model/self built and configurations of your PC
> so
> that I can have more info to analyse the problem. You can easily get those
> info after you have downloaded and installed the Belerc Advisor.
>
>> Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
>> devices other than NEC chipsets.
>
> Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other than
> NEC chipsets. What I meant to say was that if the mobo using Intel
> chipsets,
> using NEC USB chipsets would be better than using a VIA USB chipsets.
> There
> is nothing to do with MS.
>
> BTW, it is a challenge to fix the problem. With the help of Belarc
> Advisor,
> you would know the mobo BIOS, chipsets details, system BUS, softwares
> installed and license, windows updated details, etc.
> Hope you can try it and inform me the outcome.
>
> Peter
>

> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hello Peter,
>>
>> I did install a USB 2, with a NEC chipset, but
>> the problem is the same.
>> For few other reasons, we decided to replace the computer.
>> USB suppose to make things easier, but unfortunately
>> it is not as easy, and it have big bugs.
>> Thank you very much for the help, I know how to go about
>> removing VIDs and fix the problem if it happens in another
>> computer.
>> Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
>> devices other than NEC chipsets.
>>
>> > Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery
>> > as
>> > it
>> > has been using for 3 years.
>>
>> I found that the MB is generic, and that is one of the reasons
>> we are going to replace it.
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ted,
>> >
>> > Remember update the mobo chipset drivers first and change the battery
>> > as
>> > it
>> > has been using for 3 years.
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

There are many reasons that those plug and play USB devices cannot be
working properly in windows enviroment; hardwares/softwares conflicts, mobo
BIOS, mobo chipset drivers, system I/O BUS, poorly written USB device
drivers, insufficient electric power, etc, etc.

I built my own PCs and they are all working fine.

Hope you can get a trouble free new PC.

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> There other many reasons we are junking this computer.
> Some computers these days, better to buy new ones
> than try fixing them.
> What I didn't understand, is all other USB devices
> work OK in this computer, but not the Sony camera.
> I wish I still have the ADS drive kit and LG CD-DVD/RW drive,
> and would experiment with it. With those the problem was
> on different computers than the above.
>
> > Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other than
> > NEC chipsets.
> NEC is a Microsoft plug and play device, others need a driver.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ted
>
> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ed,
> >
> > I think the chipset drivers and/or the mobo BIOS is the culprit.
> > You can download Belarc Advisor to have a detail info of your system.
> > You can download it from : http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
> >
> > Have you changed the mobo battery and then load the BIOS default setup?
> > Pls let me know the brand/model/self built and configurations of your PC
> > so
> > that I can have more info to analyse the problem. You can easily get those
> > info after you have downloaded and installed the Belerc Advisor.
> >
> >> Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
> >> devices other than NEC chipsets.
> >
> > Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other than
> > NEC chipsets. What I meant to say was that if the mobo using Intel
> > chipsets,
> > using NEC USB chipsets would be better than using a VIA USB chipsets.
> > There
> > is nothing to do with MS.
> >
> > BTW, it is a challenge to fix the problem. With the help of Belarc
> > Advisor,
> > you would know the mobo BIOS, chipsets details, system BUS, softwares
> > installed and license, windows updated details, etc.
> > Hope you can try it and inform me the outcome.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hello Peter,
> >>
> >> I did install a USB 2, with a NEC chipset, but
> >> the problem is the same.
> >> For few other reasons, we decided to replace the computer.
> >> USB suppose to make things easier, but unfortunately
> >> it is not as easy, and it have big bugs.
> >> Thank you very much for the help, I know how to go about
> >> removing VIDs and fix the problem if it happens in another
> >> computer.
> >> Also hope MS comes up with a fix, and support other USB
> >> devices other than NEC chipsets.

> >> I found that the MB is generic, and that is one of the reasons
> >> we are going to replace it.
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>
> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi Peter,

I decided to wait for the dual core processor by Intel,
should be an exciting processor.
Don't know what mother board it needs, by then
Intel should list all compatible motherboards.

> I built my own PCs and they are all working fine.
I have a local computer shop that I know for years,
they build my computers as I please. I go over it
when I get it.
My wife was going through final exams, her computer took a dive,
so I rushed in and bought a cheap one of the shelve to get her
going right away, it happened to be the culprit.

I have two other SCSI computers, all networked together.
I am going to try SATA drives this time and switch from SCSI.
Wonder if Western Digital 10,000 RPM is a reliable drive.
"Enterprise Serial ATA hard drives World's fastest Serial ATA
drive: 10,000 RPM, 4.5 ms seek"

>poorly written USB device
I agree, I think that is the problem with the Sony camera.
LG CD-DVD/RW GSA-5120D is their first external USB drive.
ADS drive kit was their second, I have their first
and it works great.
To confuse you more, I have an older LG internal DVD-CD/RW drive
in an older ADS USB drive kit, both work great.
But because I returned the second ADS and the second LG, I bought
Belkin drive kit with Benq DVD-CD/RW dual layer, and they work great.

Ted

> Ted,
>
> There are many reasons that those plug and play USB devices cannot be
> working properly in windows enviroment; hardwares/softwares conflicts,
> mobo
> BIOS, mobo chipset drivers, system I/O BUS, poorly written USB device
> drivers, insufficient electric power, etc, etc.
>
> I built my own PCs and they are all working fine.
>
> Hope you can get a trouble free new PC.
>
> Peter
>

> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> There other many reasons we are junking this computer.
>> Some computers these days, better to buy new ones
>> than try fixing them.
>> What I didn't understand, is all other USB devices
>> work OK in this computer, but not the Sony camera.
>> I wish I still have the ADS drive kit and LG CD-DVD/RW drive,
>> and would experiment with it. With those the problem was
>> on different computers than the above.
>>
>> > Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other
>> > than
>> > NEC chipsets.
>> NEC is a Microsoft plug and play device, others need a driver.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Ted
>>
>> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > ed,
>> >
>> > I think the chipset drivers and/or the mobo BIOS is the culprit.
>> > You can download Belarc Advisor to have a detail info of your system.
>> > You can download it from : http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
>> >
>> > Have you changed the mobo battery and then load the BIOS default setup?
>> > Pls let me know the brand/model/self built and configurations of your
>> > PC
>> > so
>> > that I can have more info to analyse the problem. You can easily get
>> > those
>> > info after you have downloaded and installed the Belerc Advisor.

>> > Sorry if I have misleaded you. MS do support other USB devices other
>> > than
>> > NEC chipsets. What I meant to say was that if the mobo using Intel
>> > chipsets,
>> > using NEC USB chipsets would be better than using a VIA USB chipsets.
>> > There
>> > is nothing to do with MS.
>> >
>> > BTW, it is a challenge to fix the problem. With the help of Belarc
>> > Advisor,
>> > you would know the mobo BIOS, chipsets details, system BUS, softwares
>> > installed and license, windows updated details, etc.
>> > Hope you can try it and inform me the outcome.
>> >
>> > Peter

peter

Ted,

The new dual core CPU and the 10,000r.p.m. WD SATA drive may cost you a lot
of money. Unless you are an extreme gamer or you need to process extensive
graphic works, a 3GHz P4 CPU and an ordinary 7,200 RPM Hdd is more than
enough for normal use.

4 months ago, I built a PC for my daughter. I bought an Intel Mobo 915GAV
800FSB with onboard GMA900 vedio chips and onboard HD audio, a P4 3GHz CPU
(with HT), 1Gig DDR400 2.5ns ram, 2 Maxtor 120Gig SATA Hdds, 1 16XDVD player,
1 16X CD/RW, an Asus chassis with a good quality 350W power supply. The total
cost of these components is $740.- which I think is a good deal. All the
softwares costs are not included as they are far more expensive than the
hardwares. The PC works great but the vedio is weak. It works OK if you are
not a gamer. So I decided to buy a PCI Express vedio card, a Nvidia GF6600GT
128MB around $200.-. this card works great for all gamers.

So, I would rather spend money on the best quality ordinary hardwares
available in the market instead of spend money on the most advanced CPU and
fastest hard drives.

BTW, I think you have heard about the 64bit CPU and 64 bit XP. The 64bit
system is very fast and stable but in today's world, there are seldom
softwares/drivers that are written in 64 bit process. So the 64bit system
users are facing headache looking for proper drivers and softwares. It may
take a few years time for the 64bit support.

I think it is better to follow the mainstream.
What do you think?

Peter

"Ted" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> I decided to wait for the dual core processor by Intel,
> should be an exciting processor.
> Don't know what mother board it needs, by then
> Intel should list all compatible motherboards.
>
> > I built my own PCs and they are all working fine.
> I have a local computer shop that I know for years,
> they build my computers as I please. I go over it
> when I get it.
> My wife was going through final exams, her computer took a dive,
> so I rushed in and bought a cheap one of the shelve to get her
> going right away, it happened to be the culprit.
>
> I have two other SCSI computers, all networked together.
> I am going to try SATA drives this time and switch from SCSI.
> Wonder if Western Digital 10,000 RPM is a reliable drive.
> "Enterprise Serial ATA hard drives World's fastest Serial ATA
> drive: 10,000 RPM, 4.5 ms seek"
>
> >poorly written USB device
> I agree, I think that is the problem with the Sony camera.
> LG CD-DVD/RW GSA-5120D is their first external USB drive.
> ADS drive kit was their second, I have their first
> and it works great.
> To confuse you more, I have an older LG internal DVD-CD/RW drive
> in an older ADS USB drive kit, both work great.
> But because I returned the second ADS and the second LG, I bought
> Belkin drive kit with Benq DVD-CD/RW dual layer, and they work great.
>
> Ted
>

> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ted,
> >
> > There are many reasons that those plug and play USB devices cannot be
> > working properly in windows enviroment; hardwares/softwares conflicts,
> > mobo
> > BIOS, mobo chipset drivers, system I/O BUS, poorly written USB device
> > drivers, insufficient electric power, etc, etc.
> >
> > I built my own PCs and they are all working fine.
> >
> > Hope you can get a trouble free new PC.
> >
> > Peter
> >

> > "Ted" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,
> >>
> >> There other many reasons we are junking this computer.
> >> Some computers these days, better to buy new ones
> >> than try fixing them.
> >> What I didn't understand, is all other USB devices
> >> work OK in this computer, but not the Sony camera.
> >> I wish I still have the ADS drive kit and LG CD-DVD/RW drive,
> >> and would experiment with it. With those the problem was
> >> on different computers than the above.

> >> NEC is a Microsoft plug and play device, others need a driver.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> Ted
> >>
> >> "Peter" <Peter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Hi Peter,

>7,200 RPM Hdd is more than
> enough for normal use.

Hard drive speeds are the biggest obstacle in fast computing.
It is the only device that is mechanical, where friction and RPM has
big effect.
10,000 RPM is taking it to the extremes, and might be un-reliable drive,
where heat, friction and precession are big factors.
I believe if you shop around, you can get that hard drive for about $240.

> BTW, I think you have heard about the 64bit CPU and 64 bit XP

I did hear about and been reading about it.
The biggest problem is even MS doesn't have a 64 bit programming
language. They haven't been even talking about it.
I think 64 bit is going to take much longer transition than when
Win 95 first came out.
Hardware and software took almost a year to catch up after Win 95 release.
Had to wait four months to get a compatible Motherboard and video card.

> I think it is better to follow the mainstream.
> What do you think?
You are very right, but I am a developer, and have to be ready
for what is ahead.
Dual core and 64 bit is going to be an attraction for many users.

Ted