Cable modem "unplugged" message - new problem

Tags:
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Modem
  • Cable
  • Windows XP
February 25, 2005 1:00:19 PM

Environment:
Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Computer: Dell Dimension 8200
ISP: COX cable modem
Modem: LinkSys EtherFast Cable Modem
Network card: CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ehernet Adaper

I intermittently see the "cable unplugged" message appear in my Windows XP
taskbar. This just started recently after working fine for over two years.

My question is a simple one (I think).

Is this more likely a problem with the signal from my ISP (COX cable
modem) - or is it more likely it is my cable modem? For that matter, perhaps
the gremlin is my network card.

As always, thank you in advance.

Michael

More about : cable modem unplugged message problem

Anonymous
February 25, 2005 4:14:17 PM

Ths problem is more likely to be either the network card or the network
cable (between cable modem and network card.) Try replacing the network
cable to see if this makes a differenc. If not, try update the network card
drivers or replace it.

The XP will/should not directly see the signal from COX.

"Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net> wrote in message
> Environment:
> Windows XP Home Edition SP2
> Computer: Dell Dimension 8200
> ISP: COX cable modem
> Modem: LinkSys EtherFast Cable Modem
> Network card: CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ehernet Adaper
>
> I intermittently see the "cable unplugged" message appear in my Windows XP
> taskbar. This just started recently after working fine for over two years.
>
> My question is a simple one (I think).
>
> Is this more likely a problem with the signal from my ISP (COX cable
> modem) - or is it more likely it is my cable modem? For that matter,
> perhaps the gremlin is my network card.
>
> As always, thank you in advance.
>
> Michael

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 12:59:50 PM

> Ths problem is more likely to be either the network card or the network
> cable (between cable modem and network card.) Try replacing the network
> cable to see if this makes a differenc. If not, try update the network
> card drivers or replace it.

I think you're on to something.

Weeks ago I had taken my long CAT 5 Ethernet cable and coiled it before
applying a twist tie. Well the coiled cable (between PC and LinkSys cable
modem) dangled in the air behind my PC. This apparently caused stress on the
connection at the jack (at either end) causing a poor connection.

Michael
Related resources
February 27, 2005 11:59:27 AM

Michael T wrote:
> Environment:
> Windows XP Home Edition SP2
> Computer: Dell Dimension 8200
> ISP: COX cable modem
> Modem: LinkSys EtherFast Cable Modem
> Network card: CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ehernet Adaper
>
> I intermittently see the "cable unplugged" message appear in my Windows XP
> taskbar. This just started recently after working fine for over two years.
>
> My question is a simple one (I think).
>
> Is this more likely a problem with the signal from my ISP (COX cable
> modem) - or is it more likely it is my cable modem? For that matter, perhaps
> the gremlin is my network card.
>
> As always, thank you in advance.
>
> Michael

I have experience similar problems and have found that re-cycling the
modem solves the most of the time. Occasionally the computer needs to
be re-booted.

Rick
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 6:17:39 PM

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:00:19 -0800, "Michael T" <anonymous@cox.net>
wrote:

>Environment:
>Windows XP Home Edition SP2
>Computer: Dell Dimension 8200
>ISP: COX cable modem
>Modem: LinkSys EtherFast Cable Modem
>Network card: CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ehernet Adaper
>
>I intermittently see the "cable unplugged" message appear in my Windows XP
>taskbar. This just started recently after working fine for over two years.
>
>My question is a simple one (I think).
>
>Is this more likely a problem with the signal from my ISP (COX cable
>modem) - or is it more likely it is my cable modem? For that matter, perhaps
>the gremlin is my network card.
>
>As always, thank you in advance.
>
>Michael

My daughter's new Dell laptop was doing that . It seems it would go
into hibernation (?) and when it came out it would not re-establish
the connection. She diddled with some settings and seemingly resolved
the problem.
FWIW
YMMV
DFB

"When a legislature undertakes to proscribe the exercise of a citizen's
constitutional rights it acts lawlessly and the citizen can take matters into
his own hands and proceed on the basis that such a law is no law at all."
- Justice William O. Douglas
Anonymous
February 27, 2005 7:32:20 PM

I had the same thing, and it turned out to be my 3 year old modem.

!