Stop File sharing on a wireless internet network?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 24, 2005 3:17:03 PM

Hi

I have recently set up a wireless internet netowrk between me and my flat
mates. Using a Ethernet connection to my ADSL Modem/Router. I am wondering
whether this emans that they can access the files stored on my computer, and
if so How can I prevent this. Or make sure that they can't do this and
prevent this too.

As I am not sure If I have set up File Print Sharing on my PC.

Many Thanks
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 6:06:15 PM

Hi,
You should disable Simple File Sharing. Assuming you have Windows XP
Professional, you need to do the following

1. Click Start Button and select My Computer
2. Click on Tools->Folder Options->View
3. At the botton you will find "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)".
4. Uncheck that and click on OK

To check whether the printer is shared do the following.

1. Go to the Printers and Faxes folder.

2. Select the Printer icon.

3. Click on Set printer properties and check the sharing tab.

Thanks.

"Court Jester" <Court Jester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have recently set up a wireless internet netowrk between me and my flat
> mates. Using a Ethernet connection to my ADSL Modem/Router. I am wondering
> whether this emans that they can access the files stored on my computer,
> and
> if so How can I prevent this. Or make sure that they can't do this and
> prevent this too.
>
> As I am not sure If I have set up File Print Sharing on my PC.
>
> Many Thanks
March 25, 2005 2:33:19 AM

"Court Jester" <Court Jester@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have recently set up a wireless internet netowrk between me and my flat
> mates. Using a Ethernet connection to my ADSL Modem/Router. I am wondering
> whether this emans that they can access the files stored on my computer,
> and
> if so How can I prevent this. Or make sure that they can't do this and
> prevent this too.
>
> As I am not sure If I have set up File Print Sharing on my PC.
>
> Many Thanks

Go into the properties of your ethernet network connection and uncheck File
and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks (if it is checked).
Then you will not share anything on that connection.

hth
george
!