USB 2.0 or 1.1?

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

Hi,

I've been hearing alot about the speed difference between the current USB
2.0 standard and the older USB 1.1. For the life of me, I can't figure out
how to determine which I have on my computer. It doesn't appear to be
recorded in any of the documentation.

If anyone's interested, or cares to help, my computer is a Dell Dimension
4300, originally purchased by my parents in April, 2001.

Thanks for any assistance,
Rick

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If in device manager the driver has a "enhanced host controller" then I
think it will be 2.0.

Neil

"Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been hearing alot about the speed difference between the current USB
> 2.0 standard and the older USB 1.1. For the life of me, I can't figure out
> how to determine which I have on my computer. It doesn't appear to be
> recorded in any of the documentation.
>
> If anyone's interested, or cares to help, my computer is a Dell Dimension
> 4300, originally purchased by my parents in April, 2001.
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
> Rick

4300's are 1.1, if you want/need 2.0 buy a PCI card 2.0, you
can even get a combo card with USB 2.0 and Firewire.

"neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
| If in device manager the driver has a "enhanced host
controller" then I
| think it will be 2.0.
|
| Neil
|
| "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
| > Hi,
| >
| > I've been hearing alot about the speed difference
between the current USB
| > 2.0 standard and the older USB 1.1. For the life of me,
I can't figure out
| > how to determine which I have on my computer. It doesn't
appear to be
| > recorded in any of the documentation.
| >
| > If anyone's interested, or cares to help, my computer is
a Dell Dimension
| > 4300, originally purchased by my parents in April, 2001.
| >
| > Thanks for any assistance,
| > Rick

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Why are you answering me, I didn't ask the question.

> 4300's are 1.1, if you want/need 2.0 buy a PCI card 2.0, you
> can even get a combo card with USB 2.0 and Firewire.
>

> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> | If in device manager the driver has a "enhanced host
> controller" then I
> | think it will be 2.0.
> |
> | Neil
> |
> | "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
> | > Hi,
> | >
> | > I've been hearing alot about the speed difference
> between the current USB
> | > 2.0 standard and the older USB 1.1. For the life of me,
> I can't figure out
> | > how to determine which I have on my computer. It doesn't
> appear to be
> | > recorded in any of the documentation.
> | >
> | > If anyone's interested, or cares to help, my computer is
> a Dell Dimension
> | > 4300, originally purchased by my parents in April, 2001.
> | >
> | > Thanks for any assistance,
> | > Rick

I answered on the thread, don't get your balls in an
up-roar.

| Why are you answering me, I didn't ask the question.

in message
| > 4300's are 1.1, if you want/need 2.0 buy a PCI card 2.0,
you
| > can even get a combo card with USB 2.0 and Firewire.
| >

| > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in
message
| > | If in device manager the driver has a "enhanced host
| > controller" then I
| > | think it will be 2.0.
| > |
| > | Neil
| > |
| > | "Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message

| > between the current USB
me,
| > I can't figure out
doesn't
| > appear to be

computer is
| > a Dell Dimension
2001.

| > |
| > |

map

Thank's Jim I needed a good laugh right now, LOL

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> I answered on the thread, don't get your balls in an
> up-roar.
>

> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> | Why are you answering me, I didn't ask the question.
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > 4300's are 1.1, if you want/need 2.0 buy a PCI card 2.0,
> you
> | > can even get a combo card with USB 2.0 and Firewire.
> | >

> | > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in
> message
> | > controller" then I
> | > |
> | > |

> | > between the current USB
> me,
> | > I can't figure out
> doesn't
> | > appear to be

> computer is
> | > a Dell Dimension
> 2001.

> | > |
> | > |

The USB ports on your computer will function at USB 2.0 under Windows XP, if
BOTH of the below conditions are met.

1. The USB controller on the mainboard must be 2.0 compatible. You can
confirm this from Dell Website:

www.dell.com

Since the 4300 computer mainboard is based on the plain 845 chipset, it is
probable that your computer only supports USB1.1

2. If USB controllers are 2.0 compatible, you need to have the correct
drivers or Windows XP SP1/2 to make the ports run at 2.0 speed.

Device manager will not show you "Enhanced USB controller" even if the
ports are USB2.0, if correct drivers are not installed.

"Rick" <rick@mynews.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been hearing alot about the speed difference between the current USB
> 2.0 standard and the older USB 1.1. For the life of me, I can't figure out
> how to determine which I have on my computer. It doesn't appear to be
> recorded in any of the documentation.
>
> If anyone's interested, or cares to help, my computer is a Dell Dimension
> 4300, originally purchased by my parents in April, 2001.
>
> Thanks for any assistance,
> Rick

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

OK

>I answered on the thread, don't get your balls in an
> up-roar.
>

> "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in message
> | Why are you answering me, I didn't ask the question.
> |
> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
> in message
> | > 4300's are 1.1, if you want/need 2.0 buy a PCI card 2.0,
> you
> | > can even get a combo card with USB 2.0 and Firewire.
> | >

> | > "neil" <neilp_67@hot_mail.com (remove_s)> wrote in
> message
> | > controller" then I
> | > |