Corecenter Temperature Reporting on Neo2 Platinum

PB

Hello all.

I have the Neo2 Platinum (7025) with BIOS 1.4 and use the CoreCenter
1.7.3.0, which is current version at MSI website.

I get odd temperature readings from boot to boot, that is, sometimes my
system reports a CPU temp of 37 C +/- degrees depending upon system load
and a system temp of 31 C +/- a few degrees. On the current session, my
CPU temp is reported as 28 C with a reported system temp of 29 C.

Are others experiencing similar large reporting errors like mine? Is
there a known problem with the temperature monitoring with this board?

Thanks!

Neo2 Platinum BIOS 1.4
3000+ Winchester
No overclocking
1 GB Corsair memory
Antex case/PS 350 W
120 mm intake fan
120 mm exhaust fan
1 x 250 GB SATA
1 x 250 GB IDE/PATA
1 x DVD recorder
1 x 5900 XT video

Your experience pretty much parallels what I've read (and am experiencing
myself.) I've noticed that if I do a reboot after the first (cold) boot,
the temperatures seem to be more normal.

Lee
"PB" <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> Hello all.
>
> I have the Neo2 Platinum (7025) with BIOS 1.4 and use the CoreCenter
> 1.7.3.0, which is current version at MSI website.
>
> I get odd temperature readings from boot to boot, that is, sometimes my
> system reports a CPU temp of 37 C +/- degrees depending upon system load
> and a system temp of 31 C +/- a few degrees. On the current session, my
> CPU temp is reported as 28 C with a reported system temp of 29 C.
>
> Are others experiencing similar large reporting errors like mine? Is
> there a known problem with the temperature monitoring with this board?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Neo2 Platinum BIOS 1.4
> 3000+ Winchester
> No overclocking
> 1 GB Corsair memory
> Antex case/PS 350 W
> 120 mm intake fan
> 120 mm exhaust fan
> 1 x 250 GB SATA
> 1 x 250 GB IDE/PATA
> 1 x DVD recorder
> 1 x 5900 XT video

gf

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:29:33 GMT, PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:

>Hello all.
>
>I have the Neo2 Platinum (7025) with BIOS 1.4 and use the CoreCenter
>1.7.3.0, which is current version at MSI website.
>
>I get odd temperature readings from boot to boot, that is, sometimes my
>system reports a CPU temp of 37 C +/- degrees depending upon system load
>and a system temp of 31 C +/- a few degrees. On the current session, my
>CPU temp is reported as 28 C with a reported system temp of 29 C.
>
>Are others experiencing similar large reporting errors like mine? Is
>there a known problem with the temperature monitoring with this board?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Neo2 Platinum BIOS 1.4
>3000+ Winchester
>No overclocking
>1 GB Corsair memory
>Antex case/PS 350 W
>120 mm intake fan
>120 mm exhaust fan
>1 x 250 GB SATA
>1 x 250 GB IDE/PATA
>1 x DVD recorder
>1 x 5900 XT video

I have two Neo2s. One with a FX53 with the 1.3 bios (runs 58 to 64
under load) another with the 3000+ with the 1.4 bios ( runs 54 to 60
under load). I have built two more with 3000+ and 1.3 bios. All of
them are flaky on the temps. Just goes with the territory! Just
reboot and run it. These are really good and stable boards. If you
don't believe it......try some of the other brands! You can live with
flaky temp reporting but not with some of the problems that you get
with some of the others.

PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Are others experiencing similar large reporting errors like mine? Is
> there a known problem with the temperature monitoring with this board?

I've seen similar weirdness. It improved after I updated to the latest
version of CoreCenter, but things still seemed a little wonky. I just use
MBM5 now.

"gf" <gmccullough@americamail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 19:29:33 GMT, PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello all.
>>
>>I have the Neo2 Platinum (7025) with BIOS 1.4 and use the CoreCenter
>>1.7.3.0, which is current version at MSI website.
>>
>>I get odd temperature readings from boot to boot, that is, sometimes my
>>system reports a CPU temp of 37 C +/- degrees depending upon system load
>>and a system temp of 31 C +/- a few degrees. On the current session, my
>>CPU temp is reported as 28 C with a reported system temp of 29 C.
>>
>>Are others experiencing similar large reporting errors like mine? Is
>>there a known problem with the temperature monitoring with this board?

I have similar probs with MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R mobo. On previous bios (1.8) the
temperature and hence fan noise was lower, but now the temp is reported as
higher (now reading 39C with processor activity at around 1%). Since
upgrading to 1.9 bios the fan speed will not go below 3300 rpm, using
Cool'n'quiet that's quite noisy using the supplied cooler (AMD 64 3400).

Apart from this the mobo is great, so am thinking of a new heatsink / fan
with thermostatic control, any recommendations?? Will the bios complain if I
disconnect the fan ?

Mike

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote in message
> PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:

>I just use MBM5 now.

Sure, but that still doesn't fix the
cold-boot-temps-not-the-same-as-warm-boot-temps problem.

Chip

"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in news:35f3udF4l3alnU1
@individual.net:

> "Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote in message
>> PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>>I just use MBM5 now.
>
> Sure, but that still doesn't fix the
> cold-boot-temps-not-the-same-as-warm-boot-temps problem.

I wouldn't know since I don't have that problem.

chip

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2001

"Mitch Crane" <ZorkCyclops@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in news:35f3udF4l3alnU1
> @individual.net:
>

>> "Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote in message
>>> PB <p00lb0y@insightbb.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I just use MBM5 now.
>>
>> Sure, but that still doesn't fix the
>> cold-boot-temps-not-the-same-as-warm-boot-temps problem.
>
> I wouldn't know since I don't have that problem.

I'll bet you do ;-)

Chip

Chip wrote:
> "Mitch Crane" <ZorkCyclops@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Chip" <anneonymouse@virgin.net> wrote in news:35f3udF4l3alnU1
>>@individual.net:
>>

>>>"Mitch Crane" <a-one@a-two.a-three> wrote in message

>>>Sure, but that still doesn't fix the
>>>cold-boot-temps-not-the-same-as-warm-boot-temps problem.
>>
>>I wouldn't know since I don't have that problem.
>

> I'll bet you do ;-)

Cold boot: System=30c CPU=38c
Warm boot: System=30c CPU=38c

How much did we bet? I hope it was a lot.