Truncating badly linked attribute records? (long but quite..

Hey everyone,

I've been having some problems with an external hard drive.

It's an external drive, connected over Firewire. I have an adaptec FireWire
4300 controller. The enclosure is running an Oxford 911 chipset. It's the
only FireWire device I have, and the cable is a shielded cable, no more than
6' long.

My OS is WinXP SP2 Pro. My system is an AMD 2200+ with 768 MB of RAM.

On this drive (f:\), I have several folders, including a folder (f:\burned
MP3), which has sub folders (CD1, CD2, ..all the way to CD7).

Every few days, I get a warning icon in my system tray about an NTFS errors.
There was an error reading a folder on f:\burned mp3\ and it;s on the the
folders there, but which folder changes (some days it;s "CD1" some days
it's "CD2" , etc...)

I can see most of the folders on my hard drive, except for subfolders of one
folder.

I do a chkdsk /f/r and it fixes the errors, but stating "Truncating badly
linked attribute records" with a number that is never the same.

After that, my files come back.

Then a few days later, the errors happen again, but always the same
subfolders within a common folder (f:\burned mp3\cd1, cd2, cd3, etc).

I have other folders in the root of that drive and I have no errors with
those at all, only in f:\Burned MP3\.

So I took the drive out of the enclosure and ran Maxtors PowerMax extended
tests on it..no errors on the disk or with the controller on the disk.

I copied all the data to another drive, formatted that one and copied the
data back...the errors come back

I tried a new Firewire cable..the errors still come back

I updated the firmware in the enclosure..the errors still come back.

Did a full virusscan and spyware scan..nothing found.

I applied this patch from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885222)
...the errors still came back

Since it's a removable drive, I tried making adjustments to whether or not
disk caching is enabled (in the device manager) and that made no difference.

I Googled the error and one entry said it could be bad RAM, so I borrowed a
copy of Microscope from work
(http://www.micro2000.com/microscope_suite/index.php) and ran hardware diags
on my PC for 12 hours...no hardware errors to be found.

I replaced the IDE cable in the external enclosure...the errors still came
back.

At this point, I am quickly running out of possibilities as to what the
problem may be. The Firewire card and enclosure have run flawlessly for over
a year, so while it's possible that there is an issue with them, I'd be VERY
suprised.

I've included the chkdsk output, and the entries from the event log.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? I've also posted this to
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Thanks

The output of chkdsk is:

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
Truncating badly linked attribute records
from file record segment 693.
Truncating badly linked attribute records
from file record segment 22899.
Truncating badly linked attribute records
from file record segment 39347.
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

60042905 KB total disk space.
31972800 KB in 39068 files.
15712 KB in 3910 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
110805 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
27943588 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
15010726 total allocation units on disk.
6985897 allocation units available on disk.

The Event log (System) states:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Ntfs
Event Category: Disk
Event ID: 55
Date: 2/25/2005
Time: 4:26:58 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MYPC
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
the chkdsk utility on the volume F:.

Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 02 00 00 00 37 00 04 c0 ....7..À
0010: 00 00 00 00 32 00 00 c0 ....2..À
0018: 18 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Dude, the physical drive platters themselves are giving up the "ghost" or
put plainly, no longer able to hold its 1 state, as computers write
everything as a series of 0's and 1's, 0 is off, and 1 is on. Chuck it,
since you got a new one, or if you think it has some type of warranty left,
complete to the manufacturer.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
"Google is your Friend!"