My Quantum DLT4700 7 Tape Library Worked fine till I changed my OS to XP.

In Windows 2000 it is listed in the device manager in two places, Quantum TZ
Media Changer and Quantum DLT4700 Sequential Drive. In Removable Storage it
is also listed correctely as a Library with one drive and 7 slots.

In Windows XP Pro it is listed in the device manager in two places, Unknown
Media Changer and Quantum DL Tape DLT4700 Drive but in Removable Storage it
is listed under Libraries as a stand alone drive. So I would have to manually
select a slot and load a tape in order to use the drive.

I can not find anything in the KB about this type of problem. It is hooked
up using an Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI PCI card. If I plug my old W2K Hard Drive
in it works fine.

Any ideas?

Jim

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:09:05 -0800, ramblreb wrote:

> My Quantum DLT4700 7 Tape Library Worked fine till I changed my OS to XP.
>
> In Windows 2000 it is listed in the device manager in two places, Quantum TZ
> Media Changer and Quantum DLT4700 Sequential Drive. In Removable Storage it
> is also listed correctely as a Library with one drive and 7 slots.
>
> In Windows XP Pro it is listed in the device manager in two places, Unknown
> Media Changer and Quantum DL Tape DLT4700 Drive but in Removable Storage it
> is listed under Libraries as a stand alone drive. So I would have to manually
> select a slot and load a tape in order to use the drive.
>
> I can not find anything in the KB about this type of problem. It is hooked
> up using an Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI PCI card. If I plug my old W2K Hard Drive
> in it works fine.
>
> Any ideas?

Does the tape drive vendor list it as being XP compatible?
Does the tape drive vendor provide XP drivers?

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

"Leythos" wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:09:05 -0800, ramblreb wrote:
>
> > My Quantum DLT4700 7 Tape Library Worked fine till I changed my OS to XP.
> >
> > In Windows 2000 it is listed in the device manager in two places, Quantum TZ
> > Media Changer and Quantum DLT4700 Sequential Drive. In Removable Storage it
> > is also listed correctely as a Library with one drive and 7 slots.
> >
> > In Windows XP Pro it is listed in the device manager in two places, Unknown
> > Media Changer and Quantum DL Tape DLT4700 Drive but in Removable Storage it
> > is listed under Libraries as a stand alone drive. So I would have to manually
> > select a slot and load a tape in order to use the drive.
> >
> > I can not find anything in the KB about this type of problem. It is hooked
> > up using an Adaptec AHA-2940AU SCSI PCI card. If I plug my old W2K Hard Drive
> > in it works fine.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Does the tape drive vendor list it as being XP compatible?
> Does the tape drive vendor provide XP drivers?
>
> --
> spam999free@rrohio.com
> remove 999 in order to email me

I have not been able to find that information. I did find on Veritas (Backup
Exec) page that their HCL includes the DLT4700 for Windows Server 2000 &
2003. I beleive there is a firmware update available but I have not figured
out how to make the tape required to do so. All the instructions I can find
on the subject involve Linux or some other OS I dont have. Looks like I will
have to stick with Windows 2000 unless someone else knows how to make it
work. A new Library is out of my income bracket.