Error booting Windows with MSI K8N Neo 2 platinum Edition

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 9:20:42 AM

Hi all, I have just built a new PC and could use some help. For some
reason it is refusing to hand over to Windows XP, after the POST
Sequence (using IDE Hard Drive from old machine with files on).
Everything seems fine up until this point and everything is detected
correctly in BIOS, only the Motherboard just wont hand over to
Windows? The last things I see are:

* A screen asking me if I want to try safe mode or last known working
configuration, I choose either and it results in a Blue Screen of
Death saying that my Hard Drive has an error?

Now I know that the drive works because I am using it now, and I have
tried 2 other known working drives with the same result?

Here is my specification:

CoolerMaster Cavalier 1 Case
Ennermax 485w Noistaker PSU
Athlon 64 3200 Winchester
MSI K8N Plat Ed
1GB 333 Crucial (2 x 512)
Gigabyte AGP R9700 Pro Graphics Card
Creative PCI Sound Card
2 x 80GB IDE HDD, W.Digital as Master and Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Slave,
both 8mb
1 x NEC ND3520 DVD±RW Dual Layer
1 x Samsung DVD-Rom
standard floppy drive

Here is a list of things that I have tried to solve the problem so
far:

* Swapping out the Graphics Card
* Trying RAM in various slot configs, only seems to allow 1 combo
* Tried with known working IDE Cables
* Unplugged all drives except Master HDD
* Many BIOS configurations (mainly through trial and error as I dont
understand them all)
* Booting to safe mode, last known working configuration, plus all
other options given
* Cleared CMOS

I am really at my wits end with this so I hope someone can help. Could
this be a Hardware Fault or maybe something in BIOS? Oh by the way, I
have attached my D-Bracket with the light sequences and they all check
out right up to the final one 'Operating System Booting'. What could
it be?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 12:06:37 PM

Michael Steinbrueck wrote:
> What was your last Board before you swapped over to MSI ?.
> For me was the same problem. Was trying to swap over from ASUS with
VIA
> chipset to MSI with NVIDIA. Doesn´t work for me. Have done a fresh
install.

> Maybe you can save your User Configuration and swap it to your new
> environmet. I dont think, your problem is the Hardware.
>
> Regards
> Michael

Interesting, thanks for the info. My past board was indeed an Asus
(A7V8X I think), so maybe it is a driver conflict or something?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 7:12:36 PM

What was your last Board before you swapped over to MSI ?.
For me was the same problem. Was trying to swap over from ASUS with VIA
chipset to MSI with NVIDIA. Doesn´t work for me. Have done a fresh install.

Maybe you can save your User Configuration and swap it to your new
environmet. I dont think, your problem is the Hardware.

Regards
Michael
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 9:01:46 PM

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:12:36 +0100 Michael Steinbrueck wrote:
> What was your last Board before you swapped over to MSI ?.
> For me was the same problem. Was trying to swap over from ASUS with VIA
> chipset to MSI with NVIDIA. Doesn=3Ft work for me. Have done a fresh install.

had the same problem porting XP from an Epox 8KHA+ with VIA KT266
chipset to my new MSI K8N Neo. Finally I figured out the XP repair
installation didn't clear the old VIA IDE drivers. So boot ends up in a
blue screen.

I solved the problem using the IDE driver floppy disk shipped with the
MSI board, when the XP repair installation is asking if you want to use
special RAID drivers. This did the trick! Took me two evening to figure
it out :-)

hth, Olaf
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2005 8:14:53 AM

Update:

Thanks Michael, this got it sorted! I formatted a drive and a fresh
install of Windows worked fine.

Cheers all, much appreciated
!