Cannot Access Net

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b D Laptop
March 24, 2005 11:34:42 PM

I have set up a Laptop with a Belkin Network Card.
It seems to communicate fine with the Router and a signal
strength of "excellent" is displayed, but I cannot access
the internet from the Laptop.
(Everything works fine from another desktop in the network
of 3 machines.)

Belkin say that is my Windows Network ettings
that aren't right.

Robert
-------

More about : access net

March 24, 2005 11:34:43 PM

You'll need to include some more info. What's the IP addressing scheme that
you're using? DHCP from the router? Static? Open a command prompt type in
ipconfig /all and paste the results back here. Get IP info (address, mask,
gateway) from router and paste in here as well.

"Calgacus" wrote:

> I have set up a Laptop with a Belkin Network Card.
> It seems to communicate fine with the Router and a signal
> strength of "excellent" is displayed, but I cannot access
> the internet from the Laptop.
> (Everything works fine from another desktop in the network
> of 3 machines.)
>
> Belkin say that is my Windows Network ettings
> that aren't right.
>
> Robert
> -------

March 25, 2005 12:23:00 AM

Hi

The first step is to ascertain that you have a functional Wireless
connection.

Unfortunately seeing a Good signal or seeing the name of your device in the
Wireless Properties, or the word Connected, does not mean that you have a
working connection.

Working connection would mean that a least you can log to the Router's Menus
system and browse them, or you can connect and exchange info with another
computer on the Network, or you can browse the Internet. If none of the
three is working it most likely you do not have a Functional Wireless
Connection.

Wireless - Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Calgacus" <glenallan@msn.com> wrote in message
> I have set up a Laptop with a Belkin Network Card.
> It seems to communicate fine with the Router and a signal
> strength of "excellent" is displayed, but I cannot access
> the internet from the Laptop.
> (Everything works fine from another desktop in the network
> of 3 machines.)
>
> Belkin say that is my Windows Network ettings
> that aren't right.
>
> Robert
> -------

March 28, 2005 5:15:21 AM

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:23:00 -0500, "Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Wireless - Basic Configuration: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
>
>Wireless - Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Thanks for these links. Very informative. I had no idea that WEP/WPA can
cause signal drops. I had one today, which has thankfully not occurred again
yet, and could not figure out what I was doing wrong.

I have a Linksys WAP11 and Linksys WUSB11 adapter. My main pc is in one room
across a small hall from my back storage room which contains a server, the
WAP11 and a Linksys BEFSR41 connected to a cable modem. I have WEP set to
128 bits and MAC filtering turned on. I'm sure the WAP11 cannot do WPA. :(

It all works very well (touches wood) but I was intrigued by why the signal
goes from 'good' to 'very good' periodically.

Guess I'll have to keep an eye on my 'available networks' from now on.

Thanks again for links.

Pete.
--
Fortune says :