Secure partition with lexar jumpdrive (secure )

Dante

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

When I attempt to format my jumpdrive with a secure partition, the
configuration utility gets about three quarters of the way through and
then just hangs. I've tried this a couple of times, waiting over an
hour (even though the utility claims the formatting will take a 'few
minutes') before giving up and reformatting the drive using using
windows disk manager.

The utility works fine if I format the drive with no private (secure)
partition which means that I can't use any of the secure facilities of
my JumpDrive Security (leaving me ironically with just a JumpDrive!)

Has anyone else have this problem?

FYI: I'm running Windows XP Professional (SP2) and the JumpDrive is a
512mB USB 2.0 model.

Lexar's online help advised me to 'try it in a different computer'.

Lovely.

Any ideas?

Dante wrote:
> When I attempt to format my jumpdrive with a secure partition, the
> configuration utility gets about three quarters of the way through
and
> then just hangs. I've tried this a couple of times, waiting over an
> hour (even though the utility claims the formatting will take a 'few
> minutes') before giving up and reformatting the drive using using
> windows disk manager.
>
> The utility works fine if I format the drive with no private (secure)
> partition which means that I can't use any of the secure facilities
of
> my JumpDrive Security (leaving me ironically with just a JumpDrive!)
>
> Has anyone else have this problem?
>
> FYI: I'm running Windows XP Professional (SP2) and the JumpDrive is a
> 512mB USB 2.0 model.
>
> Lexar's online help advised me to 'try it in a different computer'.
>
> Lovely.
>
> Any ideas?

Hi
If it is an consolation I have the exact same issue, same Jumpdrive,
same OS WinXP SP2.
I could not get through to tech support so I left an email.
Let me know if you hear of a fix
thanks!
Dante wrote:
> When I attempt to format my jumpdrive with a secure partition, the
> configuration utility gets about three quarters of the way through
and
> then just hangs. I've tried this a couple of times, waiting over an
> hour (even though the utility claims the formatting will take a 'few
> minutes') before giving up and reformatting the drive using using
> windows disk manager.
>
> The utility works fine if I format the drive with no private (secure)
> partition which means that I can't use any of the secure facilities
of
> my JumpDrive Security (leaving me ironically with just a JumpDrive!)
>
> Has anyone else have this problem?
>
> FYI: I'm running Windows XP Professional (SP2) and the JumpDrive is a
> 512mB USB 2.0 model.
>
> Lexar's online help advised me to 'try it in a different computer'.
>
> Lovely.
>
> Any ideas?

Dante

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

Hi there....

I just remembered that I have an older laptop... so I tried the drive
in that and it formats successfully with a secure partition. I then put
it in the original machine and it can see the secure drive ok too.

So this means that for some reason it won't format on the original
machine.....

The machine it DID work on is also running XP (SP2) but other than
that, it is a 'naked machine.' The conclusion that I can come to is
that the original machine has something running on it that interferes
with the device. But what? I don't know, but my suspicions are with
Norton Internet Security. Do you have this running on your machine
too?

Regards.