Any Motherboard recommendation without integrated sound, v..

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Any Motherboard recommendation without integrated sound, video, modem, and
Ethernet card ?
I find buying a motherboard with above integrated hardware is a waist.
I rather have my own preferred video, sound, modem and Ethernet card for
one.
Plus motherboard makers don't update their drivers if you upgrade
the operating system.
For example, I upgraded a computer with Intel motherboard from
W2K to Win XP. Only the video card and modem worked with Intel
the drivers.
Checked their website for XP drivers:
1) The drivers were dated 2002.
They all failed to install in XP giving error messages.
2) Intel never bothered to update the drivers, or the hardware
was not compatible with XP.
I didn't have a problem finding XP drivers for my hardware that
I bought in the year 1999 in another computer.

All I see these days is motherboards with integrated hardware, unless
you want to but server level motherboards.
I know you can disable integrated hardware in CMOS, but still think
its a waist.
A good way to lure buyers in cheaper computers, while eventually
they are going to pay the full price.

bar

You are fully entitled to an opinion, but what's the point.

Some people find that the 'packaged' motherboard suits a budget; generally
theirs, are you suggesting PCs should be built for these folk?

Fortunately, PC are built like cars, some come packaged fully of goodies at
a budget price - like a Hyundai/Ford/GM: others have fewer features and
better engineering and build quality - extras can be purachsed from the
dealer to be included in the build process or you can 'customise' the car
later - like BMW/Mercedes/Audi.

All of these cars sell well and most of these companies make a profit for
their shareholders. That's commerce. Also you can throw away a brand new
Hyundai every 6 months and still not loose out compared with the depreciation
on an Audi over 2 years!

Personally for a PC I'd buy a Mobo without integrated LAN, Sound and Video:
because one can get superior plug in components and if the individual
component fails it can be replaced without throwing away a whole Mobo.

The comeback on this is that a plug in AGP card may cost more than a Mobo
with all these fully 'integrated' components.

So 'you pays your money and puts up with the consequences'.

"Ted" wrote:

> Any Motherboard recommendation without integrated sound, video, modem, and
> Ethernet card ?
> I find buying a motherboard with above integrated hardware is a waist.
> I rather have my own preferred video, sound, modem and Ethernet card for
> one.
> Plus motherboard makers don't update their drivers if you upgrade
> the operating system.
> For example, I upgraded a computer with Intel motherboard from
> W2K to Win XP. Only the video card and modem worked with Intel
> the drivers.
> Checked their website for XP drivers:
> 1) The drivers were dated 2002.
> They all failed to install in XP giving error messages.
> 2) Intel never bothered to update the drivers, or the hardware
> was not compatible with XP.
> I didn't have a problem finding XP drivers for my hardware that
> I bought in the year 1999 in another computer.
>
> All I see these days is motherboards with integrated hardware, unless
> you want to but server level motherboards.
> I know you can disable integrated hardware in CMOS, but still think
> its a waist.
> A good way to lure buyers in cheaper computers, while eventually
> they are going to pay the full price.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

>Fortunately, PC are built like cars,

Bad comparison.
Cars don't use drivers, nor they take upgrades.
Most car parts fully available for 5 years.
Partially available up to 10 years and 20 years.
Intel motherboards integrated hardware good for the current
operating system only.
The year 2000 and large size hard drives was a turn around for
motherboards and operating systems, doesn't mean these
companies can keep the habit for making products good
for the current operating system, without offering newer
drivers for newer OS.

> You are fully entitled to an opinion, but what's the point.
>
> Some people find that the 'packaged' motherboard suits a budget; generally
> theirs, are you suggesting PCs should be built for these folk?
>
> Fortunately, PC are built like cars, some come packaged fully of goodies
> at
> a budget price - like a Hyundai/Ford/GM: others have fewer features and
> better engineering and build quality - extras can be purachsed from the
> dealer to be included in the build process or you can 'customise' the car
> later - like BMW/Mercedes/Audi.
>
> All of these cars sell well and most of these companies make a profit for
> their shareholders. That's commerce. Also you can throw away a brand new
> Hyundai every 6 months and still not loose out compared with the
> depreciation
> on an Audi over 2 years!
>
> Personally for a PC I'd buy a Mobo without integrated LAN, Sound and
> Video:
> because one can get superior plug in components and if the individual
> component fails it can be replaced without throwing away a whole Mobo.
>
> The comeback on this is that a plug in AGP card may cost more than a Mobo
> with all these fully 'integrated' components.
>
> So 'you pays your money and puts up with the consequences'.
>

> "Ted" wrote:
>
>> Any Motherboard recommendation without integrated sound, video, modem,
>> and
>> Ethernet card ?
>> I find buying a motherboard with above integrated hardware is a waist.
>> I rather have my own preferred video, sound, modem and Ethernet card for
>> one.
>> Plus motherboard makers don't update their drivers if you upgrade
>> the operating system.
>> For example, I upgraded a computer with Intel motherboard from
>> W2K to Win XP. Only the video card and modem worked with Intel
>> the drivers.
>> Checked their website for XP drivers:
>> 1) The drivers were dated 2002.
>> They all failed to install in XP giving error messages.
>> 2) Intel never bothered to update the drivers, or the hardware
>> was not compatible with XP.
>> I didn't have a problem finding XP drivers for my hardware that
>> I bought in the year 1999 in another computer.
>>
>> All I see these days is motherboards with integrated hardware, unless
>> you want to but server level motherboards.
>> I know you can disable integrated hardware in CMOS, but still think
>> its a waist.
>> A good way to lure buyers in cheaper computers, while eventually
>> they are going to pay the full price.

Philo

"Ted" <2000@xxxmsn.com> wrote in message
> Any Motherboard recommendation without integrated sound, video, modem, and
> Ethernet card ?
> I find buying a motherboard with above integrated hardware is a waist.
> I rather have my own preferred video, sound, modem and Ethernet card for
> one.
> Plus motherboard makers don't update their drivers if you upgrade
> the operating system.
> For example, I upgraded a computer with Intel motherboard from
> W2K to Win XP. Only the video card and modem worked with Intel
> the drivers.
> Checked their website for XP drivers:
> 1) The drivers were dated 2002.
> They all failed to install in XP giving error messages.
> 2) Intel never bothered to update the drivers, or the hardware
> was not compatible with XP.
> I didn't have a problem finding XP drivers for my hardware that
> I bought in the year 1999 in another computer.
>
> All I see these days is motherboards with integrated hardware, unless
> you want to but server level motherboards.
> I know you can disable integrated hardware in CMOS, but still think
> its a waist.
> A good way to lure buyers in cheaper computers, while eventually
> they are going to pay the full price.

since i don't rely too much on sound...
i often end up with integrated sound and have had no problems
OTOH: integrated video seems to never work correctly.

other than that...i suggest that PC Chips mobo's be avoided...
however i;ve never seen anything "special" about ASUS...
they work fine...but so do most of the other major brands

bar

Ted, WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. In so far as I wrote that a PC is like a car, I
meant that one can buy a budget car or an expensive one.....all being based
on maketing / price formulae. The cheapest cars come with air conditioners,
CD players etc 'standard'...many items which are optional in middle priced
cars and again 'included' in top end products!

I have not yet come across one Motherboard that has an expiry date of 3
years. In fact the mobo I'm using on this PC was first sold in 2000 and
still is capable of running XP [with a slow Celeron chip].

Windows XP can handle hard drives of >200Gb all the way down to <10Gb so
what are you on about! A hard drive manufacturer will generally not need to
make changes for its hard drives 'drivers' because Microsoft will engineer
Windows future release to be backwards compatible - thus XP supports NTFS,
FAT32 and FAT16. Why, because if it didn't user's could not make a single
purchase of Windows to upgrade.

Your statements are obviously spawned from a lack of understanding.

As for old products needing to be made compatible with new Operating
Systems, well one can suggest that it goes this way.

A company like Symantec finds that Microsoft re-engineers Windows releases
to make it's product less useful or unusable with each new release. So in
order to keep customers it brings out a new version of its products every
time Microsoft bring out a new version of Windows.

Given the close relationship between Intel and MSoft, why woulkd they make
each other's products 'non compatible'.

I could go on and on with other examples, but let me say that after >20
years in the PC world, your comments are not salient.

http://www.newegg.com/

"Ted" <2000@xxxmsn.com> wrote in message
> Any Motherboard recommendation without integrated sound, video, modem, and
> Ethernet card ?
> I find buying a motherboard with above integrated hardware is a waist.
> I rather have my own preferred video, sound, modem and Ethernet card for
> one.
> Plus motherboard makers don't update their drivers if you upgrade
> the operating system.
> For example, I upgraded a computer with Intel motherboard from
> W2K to Win XP. Only the video card and modem worked with Intel
> the drivers.
> Checked their website for XP drivers:
> 1) The drivers were dated 2002.
> They all failed to install in XP giving error messages.
> 2) Intel never bothered to update the drivers, or the hardware
> was not compatible with XP.
> I didn't have a problem finding XP drivers for my hardware that
> I bought in the year 1999 in another computer.
>
> All I see these days is motherboards with integrated hardware, unless
> you want to but server level motherboards.
> I know you can disable integrated hardware in CMOS, but still think
> its a waist.
> A good way to lure buyers in cheaper computers, while eventually
> they are going to pay the full price.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

>Your statements are obviously spawned from a lack of understanding.
It is either my English is not clear, or you are not taking the time
reading my messages.

>As for old products needing to be made compatible with new Operating
>Systems, well one can suggest that it goes this way.

Computer companies, are getting away with murder.
I find Intel to be the worse of them all.
If a Motherboard life expectancy to be 5 years, and
the Operating System between 2 to 3 years. I do expect
the hardware companies to try make hardware drivers
for the new OS, but that is impossible at times.
All I said, it is a waste of money to buy a MB with integrated
hardware.
MB with integrated hardware are con tools to lure buyers
in buying cheaper computers, while in the long run they
are going to end up paying the price doubled.
So you are not making any savings here, and it is
not like a car. Because adding A/C, electric windows,
power brakes, etc later on will cost arm and a leg in a car.
There is no such thing as integrated hardware in a car,
there is factory equipped in a car.
Buying cars without desired factory equipment is very stupid,
while buying MB with integrated hardware is very stupid and
waste of money.

When MS come up with a new OS, then the first thing you
would check if the MB is compatible with the new OS before
upgrading.
Chances that the motherboard is compatible is very high, but
chances for the Integrated hardware to be compatible are
very poor.
I am still using good name brand hardware that I bought
in 1998/99. Such as SoundBlaster audio, Adaptec SCSI,
US Robotic modems. Not so much video cards with LCD monitors.
While in a 2002 Intel MB, there is no XP drivers found for the
Integrated Sound and the Network cards, luckily MS had
a driver for the Video card in XP. Intel didn't bother coming
up with drivers for XP.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:32:41 -0800, Ted wrote:

> I am still using good name brand hardware that I bought
> in 1998/99. Such as SoundBlaster audio, Adaptec SCSI,
> US Robotic modems.

I agree, I'm running a Dual Celeron 500Mhz machine with Windows 2003 Web
Server. It started with NT 4 and then 2000 and then 2003. It's been
running 24/7/365 for at least 5 years and still works. Before moving to
Windows 2003 I was running Windows 2000 Server Standard and MS SQL 2000
Standard on it.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

I contacted Intel pre-sale, they recommend
Intel® Desktop Board D925XCV
or
Intel® Desktop Board D925XBC
They need PCI Express x16 graphics cards.

I think I am going to wait for the Dual Core
processors, should work on both XP 32 and 64.
The first dual-core processors from Intel will ship in the second
quarter 2005 with the release of the Pentium Extreme Edition 840 and
the new Pentium D chips.