K8N FST Neo [can't finish boot sequence]

I can't get through the boot sequence. I don't know if I have the
SATA set up.

AMD64 3000+
Neo FSR Board
2 stick RAM [Corsair Value and Kingmax] Total 1GB
GeForce 6800 128 MB
Maxtor 120 GB SATA

I can get through the mem test, and it seems to blow through the drive
list o.k. , but I hang at the point where it says

NVidia Boot Agent 201.0440
Copyright Nvidia..........
Copyright Intel...........
PXE-E61: Media test failure
PXE-M0F: Exiting Nvidia Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I have a CDROM plugged in and the SATA Maxtor that's brand new.

Do I need to do something so it can boot off the SATA? I just plugged
in the interface cable and the power cable.

If I try to boot with the Maxtor disk that came with the drive, I get
it down until it hangs at
IDE CD-ROM Device driver installed

but it never does anything else.

David

Okay, there has been some progress.

If I have the board out of the case, I can get it to work.

I know the obvious problem would be shorting, but I have a new raidmax
case with a mb tray, and it still works scr**ed to the tray. I have
only the bare necessities installed, and I can get XP to load. So I
unplug everything, put it in the case, and when I plug the power in,
the CPU fan and Video card fan come on immediately, but no video
output. Also, the power pins and reset pins don't work.

I can get it working again by pulling the tray out and laying it on my
table. However, it still does the same fan on no video business until
I pull a stick of mem out, then put it back in. Then it boots like a
champ.

I'm wondering if:

A. there is something loose so when I put it horizontal it shorts
B. if the mem slots are loose
c. if the tray is grounding in the case.

I have looked for evidence of all of these problems, but I can't see
it.

I'm having the same trouble.

I have:

AMD 64 3200+
MSI Neo2 Platinum 939
2x 512 MB OCZ Platinum Rev2
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 160GB ATA/133 HD
Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32A

The HD is right out of the box, jumper set to Cable Select, connected
to the end of the cable on IDE 1, appears as Master on IDE channel 1
in the BIOS. The BIOS is set to auto detect the IDE devices and
detects the drive as a 163 G drive.

The CD drive is jumpered to be Master and is connected to the end of
the cable on IDE 2, appears as Master on IDE channel 2 in the BIOS

Boot sequence in the BIOS is CD, Floppy, HD.

I'm trying to boot from the MaxBlast 3 install CD, version 3.6.1

It starts booting from the CD, creates a Virtual Drive on C:, detects
the CD-ROM and identifies it as a PLEXTOR, then stops with the
following line displayed:

IDE CD-ROM device driver installed

I've tried with a second MaxBlast 3, ver 3.6.1 CD and received the
same result.

Thoughts?