Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I am trying to install a new SATA hard drive into my system.

It's a Maxtor 250Gb, SATA drive. Model 6B25OSO.

I currently have a Maxtor 120Gb, PATA drive (as my master boot drive) along
with three other IDE drives (two CD/DVD and an LS120 drive).

My system does not appear to recognise my new drive.

My mobo is an Asus K8V SE model which has PATA, SATA and SATA RAID support.
I have connected my new drive to the SATA 1 connection.

The drive is receiving power since it is warm and I felt the rotation of the
drive.

However, my BIOS is not reporting the drive - only the existing PATA drive
and the three other IDE devices.

I've checked the SATA cable connections. They look fine - and they're keyed
so I guess they're OK.

I had disabled the "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" in the BIOS and once I had enabled
this I (briefly) saw something about my new HD flash on the screen during
one of the boot screens (I think my model number appeared). But I can't stop
these damn screens to confirm this (who designs these things?).

Since the BIOS doesn't appear to recognise my new drive, Windows doesn't
either and I can't install it.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

Cheers.

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I'm not familiar with that board,but try plugging the HD into SATA slot 3
which is connected to a different controller and see if it is recognized. I
had a similar problem on a different board,which was a bad controller on one
of the two SATA controllers
"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to install a new SATA hard drive into my system.
>
> It's a Maxtor 250Gb, SATA drive. Model 6B25OSO.
>
> I currently have a Maxtor 120Gb, PATA drive (as my master boot drive)
> along with three other IDE drives (two CD/DVD and an LS120 drive).
>
> My system does not appear to recognise my new drive.
>
> My mobo is an Asus K8V SE model which has PATA, SATA and SATA RAID
> support. I have connected my new drive to the SATA 1 connection.
>
> The drive is receiving power since it is warm and I felt the rotation of
> the drive.
>
> However, my BIOS is not reporting the drive - only the existing PATA drive
> and the three other IDE devices.
>
> I've checked the SATA cable connections. They look fine - and they're
> keyed so I guess they're OK.
>
> I had disabled the "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" in the BIOS and once I had
> enabled this I (briefly) saw something about my new HD flash on the screen
> during one of the boot screens (I think my model number appeared). But I
> can't stop these damn screens to confirm this (who designs these things?).
>
> Since the BIOS doesn't appear to recognise my new drive, Windows doesn't
> either and I can't install it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

For starts, the ability to "see" a SATA hard drive is a function of the BIOS
and SATA controller on the motherboard, not a function of the hard drive
itself (assuming that the hard drive is not mechanically defective.) So,
rather than looking for solutions from Maxtox, look at your motherboard's
manual, or user support for the motherboard.

But, in general several things need to happen before the drive will appear
in Windows:

1a. If the SATA controller is also a RAID controller, you need ot "build" a
RAID "array". On my ASUS P4S8X motherboard, this option appears midway
through the BIOS checks. I says something like "Press CTRL-F to enter
FastBuild (tm) Utility". This utility sets up the RAID array(s) for the
Promise FastTrack controller, whihc is the RAID/SATA controller.

1b. Since you already have some disks, and operating system, etc installed,
be very careful >>NOT<< to make a mirror or a striped array involving any of
those existing disks! If you make arrays using the old disks, it will be
like formating them, and you will lose all data.

1c. Instead, use the advanced or custom options to define an "array"
containing only the one SATA disk.

2. Once the RAID array has been created, the SATA disk should appear in the
BIOS checks. For example, mine appears just after a couple of lines stating
the BIOS version of the RAID controller (distinct from the main BIOS version
itself, whihc is stated much earlier in the POST sequence). On my PC it
looks like:

ID Mode Size Tracking-Map Status
1 1+0 stripe 120034M 14593/255/63 Functional

3. At this point the PC (BIOS) knows about the disk, but windows does not.
You now need to partition and format the disk. This can be done either from
the disk management console within XP, or with the MaxBlast utilities that
should ahve come with the disk, or which you can download from Maxtor. If
you choose to use XP to partiton, the trick is to "initialize" the disk,
meaning create partitions, before you try to format it.

4. Either way, once you have partitions, they should be shown in XP's disk
management console. If they have a format (like NTFS or FAT32) that should
appear. If they have no format yet, they will be called "RAW".

5. However, the disk may still not appear in windows explorer. If that is
the problem, use the disk management console to assign a drive letter to
each new partition you have created. Reboot, and then explorer should see
the partition(s).

> [...]

the disk management console within XP, or with the MaxBlast utilities that
should ahve come with the disk, or which you can download from Maxtor. If
you choose to use XP to partiton, the trick is to "initialize" the disk,
meaning create partitions, before you try to format it.

4. Either way, once you have partitions, they should be shown in XP's disk
management console. If they have a format (like NTFS or FAT32) that should
appear. If they have no format yet, they will be called "RAW".

5. However, the disk may still not appear in windows explorer. If that is
the problem, use the disk management console to assign a drive letter to
each new partition you have created. Reboot, and then explorer should see
the partition(s).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

What SATA controller do you have? If Promise, you need to initialize the SATA
array in the SATA BIOS even if you are not using RAID. My PDC 20378 controller
requires a single HD be set up as a RAID 0 "stripe" with 1 HD.

After that, load the RAID drivers in XP, then partition and format the HD in
Disk Manager.

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote...

> My system does not appear to recognise my new drive.
>
> My mobo is an Asus K8V SE model which has PATA, SATA and SATA RAID support. I
> have connected my new drive to the SATA 1 connection.
>
> The drive is receiving power since it is warm and I felt the rotation of the
> drive.
>
> However, my BIOS is not reporting the drive - only the existing PATA drive and
> the three other IDE devices.

ad

Bobby wrote:
> I am trying to install a new SATA hard drive into my system.
>
> It's a Maxtor 250Gb, SATA drive. Model 6B25OSO.
>
> I currently have a Maxtor 120Gb, PATA drive (as my master boot drive) along
> with three other IDE drives (two CD/DVD and an LS120 drive).
>
> My system does not appear to recognise my new drive.
>
> My mobo is an Asus K8V SE model which has PATA, SATA and SATA RAID support.
> I have connected my new drive to the SATA 1 connection.
>
> The drive is receiving power since it is warm and I felt the rotation of the
> drive.
>
> However, my BIOS is not reporting the drive - only the existing PATA drive
> and the three other IDE devices.
>
> I've checked the SATA cable connections. They look fine - and they're keyed
> so I guess they're OK.
>
> I had disabled the "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" in the BIOS and once I had enabled
> this I (briefly) saw something about my new HD flash on the screen during
> one of the boot screens (I think my model number appeared). But I can't stop
> these damn screens to confirm this (who designs these things?).
>
> Since the BIOS doesn't appear to recognise my new drive, Windows doesn't
> either and I can't install it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can do?

I have only installed a sta drive on one Asus board and if I remember
corectly, you have to go in to the SATa config in the SATA bios and make
a raid, even if you only got the one drive.
Mind you the computer was using the SATA drive as the main drive.
Do windows reconise the drive is there?

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> I have only installed a sta drive on one Asus board and if I remember
> corectly, you have to go in to the SATa config in the SATA bios and make a
> raid, even if you only got the one drive.
> Mind you the computer was using the SATA drive as the main drive.
> Do windows reconise the drive is there?

Windows does not recognise the SATA drive at all.

The new drive does appear (briefly) during the boot sequence so it must be
powered and (probably) cabled OK.

I tried enabling everything (SATA-related) in the BIOS but still no joy.

BTW I have tried Maxtor customer support. Waste of time. It is impossible to
get an e-mail address or telephone number and the information is completely
out of date (no mention of SATA at all). I downloaded a utility to provide
customised advice about installation but it doesn't list my device either.

Bobby

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

> What SATA controller do you have?

I have two sets of SATA interfaces on my mobo. Two standard ones (SATA0 and
SATA1) and two RAID controllers (PRI_SATA and SEC_SATA). I have connected my
(new) SATA drive to SATA0.

> If Promise, you need to initialize the SATA array in the SATA BIOS even if
> you are not using RAID. My PDC 20378 controller requires a single HD be
> set up as a RAID 0 "stripe" with 1 HD.

How do you do this?

> After that, load the RAID drivers in XP, then partition and format the HD
> in Disk Manager.

I loaded every driver from the mobo CD (including the Promise one and the
RAID one). Control Panel now reports four SCSI/RAID controllers: (all
working)

D347PRT SCSI
Via Serial ATA RAID
WinXP Promise FastTrak 378
WinXP Promise RAID Console SCSI Console Device.

My new HD was then recognised. But it took a long time to boot and I got the
BSD a couple of times so I've reverted to my old (PATA) drive for the time
being.

Help!

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote...

>> If Promise, you need to initialize the SATA array in the SATA BIOS even if
>> you are not using RAID. My PDC 20378 controller requires a single HD be set
>> up as a RAID 0 "stripe" with 1 HD.
>
> How do you do this?

Ctrl-F during boot as the RAID controller BIOS screen comes up.

Bobby wrote:

> My new HD was then recognised. But it took a long time to boot and I
> got the BSD a couple of times so I've reverted to my old (PATA) drive
> for the time being.
>
> Help!
Hi Bobby
I eventually got mine working on the AV8 Asus Deluxe. Maybe what I did will
give you some clues
Make sure in the BIOS you enable IDE operation (not RAID)
You will not see your SATA drive in the BIOS boot screen, just your Maxtor
drive in the initial set up screen of BIOS

You need to copy the SATA drivers (not the Promise drivers) from the cd
(there are 2 types) to a floppy
I was trying to install Promise drivers (for RAID) not the SAT AVI drivers
before and that's why XP wouldn't install them
Select F6 and then S

Once I could install the SATA AVI drivers from the floppy XP Pro installed
like a babe

HTH
Regards
Sheri

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Be sure the SATA option is turned on in the MB BIOS. It should be in Advanced
Options or Intergrated Devices. On chip SATA boot enables the system to boot
from the SATA rather than the standard IDE. If you are trying to use the SATA
as a boot drive you will have to clone it with Acronis or Norotn Ghost. Do
not reconnect the old drive after cloning, until Windows picks up the new
drive, otherwise you are liable to get some starnge results with booting. If
the new drive works OK reconnect the old drive and use a DOS loaded program
such as Partition Magic, to delete the old partiotin, brfore trying to boot
windows. Hope this helps!!

"Bobby" wrote:

> I am trying to install a new SATA hard drive into my system.
>
> It's a Maxtor 250Gb, SATA drive. Model 6B25OSO.
>
> I currently have a Maxtor 120Gb, PATA drive (as my master boot drive) along
> with three other IDE drives (two CD/DVD and an LS120 drive).
>
> My system does not appear to recognise my new drive.
>
> My mobo is an Asus K8V SE model which has PATA, SATA and SATA RAID support.
> I have connected my new drive to the SATA 1 connection.
>
> The drive is receiving power since it is warm and I felt the rotation of the
> drive.
>
> However, my BIOS is not reporting the drive - only the existing PATA drive
> and the three other IDE devices.
>
> I've checked the SATA cable connections. They look fine - and they're keyed
> so I guess they're OK.
>
> I had disabled the "OnChip SATA BOOTROM" in the BIOS and once I had enabled
> this I (briefly) saw something about my new HD flash on the screen during
> one of the boot screens (I think my model number appeared). But I can't stop
> these damn screens to confirm this (who designs these things?).
>
> Since the BIOS doesn't appear to recognise my new drive, Windows doesn't
> either and I can't install it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what I can do?
>
> Cheers.
>
> Bobby

Bob part one was fine but the stuff about raid is off the wall. You do not
have to use raid, and most people do not. IN FACT IF YOU DO NOT LOAD THE RAID
DRIVER DURING XP INSTALL YOU WILL NOT HAVE A RAID FUNCTION AT ALL. Raid is
usually more trouble than its worth, it presents very big backup broblems,
particularly if you use striping.

"Bob Harris" wrote:

> For starts, the ability to "see" a SATA hard drive is a function of the BIOS
> and SATA controller on the motherboard, not a function of the hard drive
> itself (assuming that the hard drive is not mechanically defective.) So,
> rather than looking for solutions from Maxtox, look at your motherboard's
> manual, or user support for the motherboard.
>
> But, in general several things need to happen before the drive will appear
> in Windows:
>
> 1a. If the SATA controller is also a RAID controller, you need ot "build" a
> RAID "array". On my ASUS P4S8X motherboard, this option appears midway
> through the BIOS checks. I says something like "Press CTRL-F to enter
> FastBuild (tm) Utility". This utility sets up the RAID array(s) for the
> Promise FastTrack controller, whihc is the RAID/SATA controller.
>
> 1b. Since you already have some disks, and operating system, etc installed,
> be very careful >>NOT<< to make a mirror or a striped array involving any of
> those existing disks! If you make arrays using the old disks, it will be
> like formating them, and you will lose all data.
>
> 1c. Instead, use the advanced or custom options to define an "array"
> containing only the one SATA disk.
>
> 2. Once the RAID array has been created, the SATA disk should appear in the
> BIOS checks. For example, mine appears just after a couple of lines stating
> the BIOS version of the RAID controller (distinct from the main BIOS version
> itself, whihc is stated much earlier in the POST sequence). On my PC it
> looks like:
>
> ID Mode Size Tracking-Map Status
> 1 1+0 stripe 120034M 14593/255/63 Functional
>
> 3. At this point the PC (BIOS) knows about the disk, but windows does not.
> You now need to partition and format the disk. This can be done either from
> the disk management console within XP, or with the MaxBlast utilities that
> should ahve come with the disk, or which you can download from Maxtor. If
> you choose to use XP to partiton, the trick is to "initialize" the disk,
> meaning create partitions, before you try to format it.
>
> 4. Either way, once you have partitions, they should be shown in XP's disk
> management console. If they have a format (like NTFS or FAT32) that should
> appear. If they have no format yet, they will be called "RAW".
>
> 5. However, the disk may still not appear in windows explorer. If that is
> the problem, use the disk management console to assign a drive letter to
> each new partition you have created. Reboot, and then explorer should see
> the partition(s).

Bobby

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Thanks, I'll try this.

Do you think that a flash upgrade to my BIOS might resolve this? I'm still
running the original BIOS firmware.

Bobby

Bobby wrote:
> Thanks, I'll try this.
>
> Do you think that a flash upgrade to my BIOS might resolve this? I'm
> still running the original BIOS firmware.

Try my way first. :eek:)

Try my way first :eek:)
Then if all else fails go for the BIOS update

Regards
Sheri

--
Life may not be the party we hoped for but whilst we are here we might
as well dance

Latest posts