Mounted Combat Now Available in Skyrim Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

Guess I have an excuse to spend another 100 or so hours of my free time hunting dragons. I wish they would hurry up with the DLC but since it took a year for the Oblivion DLC I guess we still have a few months.

G

multilayer would ruin the game there would be to many screaming 11 year olds using hacks

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Too bad even with 5 attempts, Bethesda still couldn't get the base combat to be any fun and a minor addition like this won't change things.

The really sad thing is Bethesda owns Arkane (Dark Messiah) who did some of the best melee combat out there, and is in competention with Gothic/Risen which does have a fairly decent combat system in an open world game. Plus Mount and Blade is an indie title with better combat.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
Todd Howard said in the lead up to Oblivion that "fantasy" to him was a knight running around on horseback killing things. What genre were the TES games in that 7 year period? Sci-Fi?

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Horse armour again? :D
It's never going to be as good as Mount&Blade. Why do they even try?

Adding such a major change to the combat system 6 months after release is just weird.
Is the world even designed for mounted combat? I bet you get stuck on terrain all the time.

Auroram

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I don't want to sound cynical and have clocked many an hour on Skyrim, but it almost seems like it's a good idea to not touch Bethesda titles until a couple months after the initial release date. There's simply so much content added and bugs fixed by then, that my enjoyment of (for example) Skyrim is much greater later on. And that's without even mentioning the amazing mod community!

Still, thumbs up to them for great and cost free support. I just hope that they won't break the unofficial community patches again, instead of simply integrating them into the game officially.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]Now just needs a multiplayer competition mod so I can play jousting with 63 of my friends.[/citation]

I was distressed to see the main article mention multiplayer, as your comment distresses me. I thought Skyrim was a phenomenally good game, but the combat is pretty rudimentary and the wide-open areas don't encourage pvp scenarios. PVP in Skyrim would reduce directly to a gear comparison, just like most MMOs, and there's absolutely no point. The announced TES MMO is a shameless money grab, and I'm troubled that there seem to be those who disagree.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Achoo22[/nom]PVP in Skyrim would reduce directly to a gear comparison, just like most MMOs, and there's absolutely no point. The announced TES MMO is a shameless money grab, and I'm troubled that there seem to be those who disagree.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly. First they sacrifice KOTOR3 for SWTOR, now they may shift focus to Elder Scrolls MMO (hope not, since it's an external studio). I can only hope that it fails like SWTOR did.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't care about competitive multiplayer, but co-op is always good. It's always fun to share exploring an open world with a friend. But I'm sure they'd rather hold back on such a feature for their crappy, uninspired MMO.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
To all the children crying about multiplayer.... No one would be forcing you to play it, no more then anyone else can force what kind of character you make. Grow some nuts.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Actually they already had horses, the terrain was designed with horses in mind. And you don't get stuck on terrain, hasn't happened to me yet 100+ hours of gameplay.Unfortunately horses die too easy against anything other then a wolf. I would rather the horse just run away so I can kill them with my 10,000+ damage bow, LOL.[/citation]
Just finish the Dark Brotherhood quest line and get Shadowmere. More health and respawns if killed:

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Shadowmere_%28Skyrim%29

macpeteo

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
Who cares, it's a boring game after about lvl30. Sold my game on ebay and have not looked back, play the Witcher2 if you want real entertainment!

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^witcher 2 also got boring fast. Dragon Age I, Oblivion and Fallout 3 were games that lasted. Now I'm stuck playing online games instead. Can't wait for another decent RPG to come out so I can stop playing BF3 and SCII.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]To all the children crying about multiplayer.... No one would be forcing you to play it, no more then anyone else can force what kind of character you make. Grow some nuts.[/citation]

You really can't see how multiplayer/MMO environs would destroy the story lines that truly make these games great? It just doesn't make sense for there to be an army of dragonborn nerevarines, and attempting to segregate the population with clan-only challenges and rare drops and so forth just absolutely dishonors the wonderful legacy of the series. THEY EVEN SAID SO THEMSELVES WHEN ASKED WHY SKYRIM HAD NO MULTIPLAYER.

Status
Not open for further replies.