Display flashes to black

Hi group,

I have a VIA K7T-Turbo motherboard (last version of 4in1 drivers installed),
with a MSI Award BIOS (last version of the bios flashed)
Running Windows XP SP2
Graphic card: nvidia geforce4 MX420

My problem is:

If I set the bios parameters to fail-safe default, I have no problem, but
the computer is not running with the best performances

If I set bios parameters to optimised default, my screen sometimes flashes
to black for one or two seconds when I resize a window or scroll too fast.
If I am lucky, the screen comes back to normal after the flash, and I cans
continue my work.
If I am unlucky, it comes back but everything is frozen and I have to reboot
violently.
If I am really not lucky at all, my screen looses synchronisation (no
signal) and I have to reboot violently.

My question is: I would like to start from optimised default parameters, and
just modify the right parameters to avoid these black flashes without
altering the global performances of the PC

I tried to install the last drivers for my nvidia geforce4, but the new
drivers have problems with some DirectX9.0c applications, like serenescreen
submarine aquarium screensaver or microsoft's "boite florissante"
screensaver. So I rolled back to an old working version

Check in your Bios and make sure you don't have it set to cash the
Video card's bios or memory in system memory.

Djavaman