mark

I have a new HD with a newly installed vers of Win XP Home. I also have my
old currupted 20 gig drive in there as a slave. Everything has been working
fine until today. The boot screen comes up, then when the MB beeps when it
starts to boot up windows the screen turns black and stays. No additional
sounds, the HD doesn't seem to be running like its does when it is booting
into windows.

I can get into BIOS and I can push f8 right when it beeps to bring up the
boot menu, but no matter what I select, be it safe mode, debug, whatever, it
just goes to a completely blank screen. But the monitor is still receiving
video feed because it does not go to the "no signal screen". I have a 32meg
3dfx AGP card that seems to be working fine.

I also tried booting the old corrupt hard drive and it gets farther than the
new. I can start the safe mode boot and it will run through the driver list
and it stops at the AGP driver and goes blank. But, like I say, I can't even
get that far when I try to boot with my new hard drive.

Any ideas?

bar

You may have problems with the new Hard Drive, maybe not a mechanical issue,
but as far as XP is concerned.

A few ways to 'scope' down the probs.
1. Unplug the old 20Gb drive [power or interface cable will do]
2. Reboot and see if all is OK. If not:
3. Insert XP Installation CD and boot off it into Recovery Consle
4. Run CHKDSK.EXE to examine and repair the C Drive
5. Attempt to rebott to Windows. If not:
6. Insert XP Installation CD and boot off it to perform a repair
installation of XP.

If any error messages come up during the Repair installation note them down
in full.

"Mark" wrote:

> I have a new HD with a newly installed vers of Win XP Home. I also have my
> old currupted 20 gig drive in there as a slave. Everything has been working
> fine until today. The boot screen comes up, then when the MB beeps when it
> starts to boot up windows the screen turns black and stays. No additional
> sounds, the HD doesn't seem to be running like its does when it is booting
> into windows.
>
> I can get into BIOS and I can push f8 right when it beeps to bring up the
> boot menu, but no matter what I select, be it safe mode, debug, whatever, it
> just goes to a completely blank screen. But the monitor is still receiving
> video feed because it does not go to the "no signal screen". I have a 32meg
> 3dfx AGP card that seems to be working fine.
>
> I also tried booting the old corrupt hard drive and it gets farther than the
> new. I can start the safe mode boot and it will run through the driver list
> and it stops at the AGP driver and goes blank. But, like I say, I can't even
> get that far when I try to boot with my new hard drive.
>
> Any ideas?

I am having a similar problem where as when I am booting after the windows
logo screen, the screen goes black and the message "no video signal" come
up. I know the computer is booting because I can hear it. I can boot up in
safe mode and in vga mode no problem, but when I try to switch the video
properties above 640x480 the screen goes black. Also I did do a test on pc
pit stop and it did indicate I have issue with the hard drive. Is the
problem with the video card or the HD. I am running win xp media center 05.

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new HD with a newly installed vers of Win XP Home. I also have my
> old currupted 20 gig drive in there as a slave. Everything has been
> working
> fine until today. The boot screen comes up, then when the MB beeps when it
> starts to boot up windows the screen turns black and stays. No additional
> sounds, the HD doesn't seem to be running like its does when it is booting
> into windows.
>
> I can get into BIOS and I can push f8 right when it beeps to bring up the
> boot menu, but no matter what I select, be it safe mode, debug, whatever,
> it
> just goes to a completely blank screen. But the monitor is still receiving
> video feed because it does not go to the "no signal screen". I have a
> 32meg
> 3dfx AGP card that seems to be working fine.
>
> I also tried booting the old corrupt hard drive and it gets farther than
> the
> new. I can start the safe mode boot and it will run through the driver
> list
> and it stops at the AGP driver and goes blank. But, like I say, I can't
> even
> get that far when I try to boot with my new hard drive.
>
> Any ideas?

Video card is the problem, before tossing it for a new one, try updating
the drivers using current ones from the manufacturers web site.