Event ID: 12
Date: 2/28/2005
Time: 8:37:38 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BOYL1416-SULAW
The device 'HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N'
(IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_RW/DVD_GCC-4240N_______________C102____\5&3ccf215&1&0.0.0)
disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: atapi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 2/28/2005
Time: 7:07:11 AM
User: N/A
Computer: BOYL1416-SULAW
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

On boot, while it doesn't recognize the drive, no errors are reported. I
have wiped/reformatted the hard drive and re-installed XP and XP SP2, removed
the upper/lower filters from the registry, flashed the BIOS and the Embedded
Controller Program with the latest updates, and installed the latest IBM
Power Management software.

Also, thinking it was the drive that was the problem, I replaced the orginal
drive that came with the computer (Same device class, just manufactured by
Matsushita-Panasonic) with a new one (the one that is causing problems). So
the drivers are fresh, and have been re-installed twice now, and I
uninstalled the old drive before installing the new one

The strange part of this is (as if it wasn't strange enough) that the drive
works perfectly fine. To make it re-appear, I just have to un-latch the eject
lever, and re-latch it, and windows recognizes it.

Does anyone out there have any idea what may be causing this? The computer
is only a year and a half old, so I am hoping that it isn't some form of
hardware (i.e. IDE or Motherboard) problem. Thanks for your help!
1 answer Last reply
More about ultrabay combo drive load boot disa

    This all seems to be a hardware problem :(. I can't explain it otherwise. Do
    you still have warranty? Guess not, otherwise you would have already sent it
    in ;)...

    There is however a 3-disk PC hardware doctor set available somewhere on the
    IBM site. Boot from these three DOS boot disks and it will test the complete
    computer. I am pretty sure the CD will also (at least after a while) also
    disappear, the PC doctor program should detect this and then you are 100%
    sure that it isn't a software problem (since you are not booting into your
    operating system with these diskettes).

    Alternatively you can also boot Knoppix, the CD linux and just let it run a
    few hours (days?) and see if it disappears there, too, to also exclude the
    possibility of a software problem. That CD is freely available from
    http://www.knoppix.net but it is a huge download (~700 MB), so if you only
    have a 56k modem, this isn't an option.

    Just out of curiosity, what exactly does this mean?

    )
    > disappeared from the system without first being prepared for removal.
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: atapi
    > Event Category: None
    > Event ID: 9
    > Date: 2/28/2005
    > Time: 7:07:11 AM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: BOYL1416-SULAW
    > The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout
    period.

    > On boot, while it doesn't recognize the drive, no errors are reported. I
    > have wiped/reformatted the hard drive and re-installed XP and XP SP2,
    removed
    > the upper/lower filters from the registry, flashed the BIOS and the
    Embedded
    > Controller Program with the latest updates, and installed the latest IBM
    > Power Management software.
    >
    > Also, thinking it was the drive that was the problem, I replaced the
    orginal
    > drive that came with the computer (Same device class, just manufactured by
    > Matsushita-Panasonic) with a new one (the one that is causing problems).
    So
    > the drivers are fresh, and have been re-installed twice now, and I
    > uninstalled the old drive before installing the new one
    >
    > The strange part of this is (as if it wasn't strange enough) that the
    drive
    > works perfectly fine. To make it re-appear, I just have to un-latch the
    eject
    > lever, and re-latch it, and windows recognizes it.
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any idea what may be causing this? The computer
    > is only a year and a half old, so I am hoping that it isn't some form of
    > hardware (i.e. IDE or Motherboard) problem. Thanks for your help!

DVD CD-Rom Windows XP