Do networked PCs require the Internet?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
and laptop, both using WinXP Home:

1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

2. VPN

3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
3 answers Last reply
More about networked require internet
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Hi

    Home Network consists on two or more computers that are connected together
    and able to communicate one with the other in order to exchange information.

    You do not need Internet connection to have Network.

    You do not need VPN to connect between your two computers. VNC program is
    used to remotely control one computer from an other, it is not necessary to
    use VNC in order to share files, and printers.

    Look at the picture in the link bellow, you would see three wired computers
    connected to a box (Wireless Cable/DSL Router) and one computer connected
    Wireless. The box is also connected to a DSL Modem. You can disconnect the
    DSL modem from this box and the four computers still would be able to
    communicate between themselves.

    Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

    May be this can help a little more.

    Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

    The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices and
    Brand recommendations. The principles however are still the same.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "M.L." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
    > be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
    > following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
    > and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
    >
    > 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router
    >
    > 2. VPN
    >
    > 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    M.L. <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:i5q641hpg9ildlor20c12ch57gejghnuqv@
    4ax.com:

    > Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
    > be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
    > following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
    > and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
    >
    > 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

    The router is the gateway device for the (Wide Area Network (WAN)/Internet
    and LAN (Local Area Network) your machines connected to the router. The
    gateway router provides the plumbing for the machines to do resource
    sharing on the LAN. However, the O/S on each machine must be configured to
    do resource sharing. So, the router allows the machine to share resources
    without the machines accessing the Internet/WAN. And you DON NOT want to
    share resources like that and the router is protecting the LAN from outside
    attacks but allowing the machines on the LAN to do RS.
    The link has other *home* networking topics.

    > 2. VPN

    There are two types of VPN(s) and they both must have valid VPN end-points.
    Hardware to hardware like two routers using VPN or software to software
    like AT&T Extranet or O/S to O/S like Win2K Pro Workstation and Server
    edition in a VPN connection.

    > 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

    No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be done
    with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN and the
    other one on the LAN.

    Duane :)
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    >>>No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be
    >>>done with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN
    >>>and the other one on the LAN.
    >>>
    >>>Duane :)
    >>
    >> Thank you for your helpful replies and links. For VNC I was thinking
    >> more along the lines of RealVNC with Putty for SSH tunneling, not XP
    >> RDS. IIRC, the RDS needs at least one WinXP Pro computer to function
    >> as the server.
    >
    >Well there is MS Netmeeting that has RDS that's on the O/S as well but I
    >understand that you must configure it on the XP machine for it to work. On
    >Win 2K and down O/S(s) one doesn't need to do this special configuration of
    >NM's RDS. You can search Google or dogpile.com for more info on the how to.

    Thanks, I'll look into using NetMeeting RDS. It might be the most
    convenient route to take.

Wireless Microsoft Internet Wireless Networking