Do networked PCs require the Internet?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
March 24, 2005 10:26:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
and laptop, both using WinXP Home:

1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

2. VPN

3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
March 24, 2005 11:56:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi

Home Network consists on two or more computers that are connected together
and able to communicate one with the other in order to exchange information.

You do not need Internet connection to have Network.

You do not need VPN to connect between your two computers. VNC program is
used to remotely control one computer from an other, it is not necessary to
use VNC in order to share files, and printers.

Look at the picture in the link bellow, you would see three wired computers
connected to a box (Wireless Cable/DSL Router) and one computer connected
Wireless. The box is also connected to a DSL Modem. You can disconnect the
DSL modem from this box and the four computers still would be able to
communicate between themselves.

Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg

May be this can help a little more.

Hubs, routers, switches, DSL, LANs, WANs...? -

The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices and
Brand recommendations. The principles however are still the same.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"M.L." <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
> be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
> following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
> and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
>
> 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router
>
> 2. VPN
>
> 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)
>
> Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 25, 2005 4:56:16 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

M.L. <me@privacy.net> wrote in news:i5q641hpg9ildlor20c12ch57gejghnuqv@
4ax.com:

> Please excuse me for this dumb question but I need to know if I must
> be connected to the Internet to share files and folders on the
> following types of networks. I have a desktop (connected to DSL modem)
> and laptop, both using WinXP Home:
>
> 1. File and printer sharing using DSL modem and wireless router

The router is the gateway device for the (Wide Area Network (WAN)/Internet
and LAN (Local Area Network) your machines connected to the router. The
gateway router provides the plumbing for the machines to do resource
sharing on the LAN. However, the O/S on each machine must be configured to
do resource sharing. So, the router allows the machine to share resources
without the machines accessing the Internet/WAN. And you DON NOT want to
share resources like that and the router is protecting the LAN from outside
attacks but allowing the machines on the LAN to do RS.
The link has other *home* networking topics.

> 2. VPN

There are two types of VPN(s) and they both must have valid VPN end-points.
Hardware to hardware like two routers using VPN or software to software
like AT&T Extranet or O/S to O/S like Win2K Pro Workstation and Server
edition in a VPN connection.

> 3. VNC (I think this one needs to be)

No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be done
with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN and the
other one on the LAN.

Duane :)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 1, 2005 12:48:33 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

>>>No if you're talking about Remote Desktop Sharning (RDS), which can be
>>>done with two machines on the LAN or one machine over the Internet/WAN
>>>and the other one on the LAN.
>>>
>>>Duane :)
>>
>> Thank you for your helpful replies and links. For VNC I was thinking
>> more along the lines of RealVNC with Putty for SSH tunneling, not XP
>> RDS. IIRC, the RDS needs at least one WinXP Pro computer to function
>> as the server.
>
>Well there is MS Netmeeting that has RDS that's on the O/S as well but I
>understand that you must configure it on the XP machine for it to work. On
>Win 2K and down O/S(s) one doesn't need to do this special configuration of
>NM's RDS. You can search Google or dogpile.com for more info on the how to.

Thanks, I'll look into using NetMeeting RDS. It might be the most
convenient route to take.
!