Windows XP on Apple

Dear All,
I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
Thanks.
Patrick

Neither Apple or Microsoft will like you to do this. You may be able to use
a Windows emulator in order to install XP. However, I have not done this
nor have I seen this done before. Please also not that Microsoft will not
support this set up and may even block any XP updates.

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
> and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

AFAIK Windows XP only runs on x86 compatible processors; i.e Intel
Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family. If you REALLY want
Windows XP on Mac, you can try Virtual PC for Mac.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
> and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

bar

The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
Intel processors only.

To run Windows application in Macs, you need to emulate the Windows
Environment.

Apple has this software:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

"The Undertaker" wrote:

> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

XP will not run natively on a Mac computer. There is emulation software
that will create an environment where XP will run however.

Some information here http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html and
http://searchcgi.apple.com/cgi-bin/sp/nph-searchpre1.pl

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

Philo

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

no, it cannot be done.
as a few have mentioned, there are emulators available...
but they are probably expensive...and the guest OS is sure
to take a big performance hit

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
> Intel processors only.

HUH?

Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great on
his XP box.

BAR wrote:
> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
> Intel processors only.

You meant:
The Windows operating system has been designed to be run on x86_32
processors for WindowsXP, x86_64 for Windows XP 64-bit Edition.

-mk

bar

OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need not
be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants to
install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by The
Undertaker.

To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for Intel
[and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not specifically
state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of this]
will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.

However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual PC 7'
works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
desktop.

You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily as
you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC, you can
copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files and
folders from one OS to the other.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

This goes more to the point of solving The Undertaker's needs.

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:

> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
>> Intel processors only.
>
> HUH?
>
> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great on
> his XP box.

That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.

Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
>

>> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run
>>> on
>>> Intel processors only.
>>
>> HUH?
>>
>> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great
>> on
>> his XP box.
>
> That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
> explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
> general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
>
> Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)

BAR specifically said "Intel processors only". That isn't true!

Sandman

And AMD CPUs , for my money are just as substantial and more reasonably
priced than anything Intel........

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:39:57 -0500, Tom wrote:

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
>>

>>> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> HUH?
>>>
>>> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great
>>> on
>>> his XP box.
>>
>> That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
>> explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
>> general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
>>
>> Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
>>

> BAR specifically said "Intel processors only". That isn't true!

And I don't see where I disagreed with you at all.

--

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
> >

> >> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> HUH?
> >>
> >> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running
great
> >> on
> >> his XP box.
> >
> > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
> > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
> > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
> >
> > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
> >

> BAR specifically said "Intel processors only". That isn't true!

He should say x386 family processors (and up), not Motorolla base CPU

"Sandman" <Peterf41@Bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> And AMD CPUs , for my money are just as substantial and more reasonably
> priced than anything Intel........

And how this relates to the topic?

> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
> >

> > > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> on
> > >
> > > HUH?
> > >
> > > Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running
great
> on
> > > his XP box.
> >
> > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
> > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
> > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
> >
> > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
> >

> > --
> > spam999free@rrohio.com
> > remove 999 in order to email me

ad

The Undertaker wrote:
> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

I doubt it, since apple uses a different system.
Why on earth would you want to put a poor Mac thought the digrace of
having windows XP on for?

I know a few years badk there was emulators so you could run windows
over the top of a MAc Os, but if they are around now and if they could
run XP, I do not know.
Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.

bar

Ad "if they are around now and if they could run XP, I do not know."

If you care to read the previous post I included ther URL for Apple's site.
They make this emulator and it is available now!

Maybe I should have put this in Braille.

BAR wrote:
> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
> Intel processors only.

So that is why I am using it on AMD based computer :)
Sorry, I had to slip that one in

> To run Windows application in Macs, you need to emulate the Windows
> Environment.
>
> Apple has this software:
> http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

so it is still around then.

ad

Tom wrote:
> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
>>Intel processors only.
>

> HUH?
>
> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great on
> his XP box.

I think he mucked up, or he is a Intel salesman :)
I always use AMD, got Windows XP running on a 400Mhz AMd and a 2500 one
as well

ad

Leythos wrote:

> That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
> explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in

Windows XP uses some features of the AMD chip.

> general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.

Bloody Intel. :)

> Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)

No, I do not think my Amiga would run Xp, mind you, I would not mind
giving it a try :)

"Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote in message
> Leythos wrote:
> >

> > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
> > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
>
> Windows XP uses some features of the AMD chip.
>
> > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
> >

> Bloody Intel. :)
>
> > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
> >

> No, I do not think my Amiga would run Xp, mind you, I would not mind
> giving it a try :)

I think AmigaOS is/was better than any windows ever released.
Of course we have to remember that AmigaOS last version was around when we
still had Win3.1 with 16 colors

ad

BAR wrote:
> OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need not

Oh lighten up, we are only pulling your leg.

> be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants to
> install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by The
> Undertaker.

> To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for Intel
> [and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not specifically
> state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of this]

No, which is a problem, thhis really needs to be addresed, because I get
fed up of seeing Intel all over the place, so many pro_intel companies.
Take Dell for instance, they stick with a over priced chip.

> will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.

Nope.

> However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual PC 7'
> works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
> launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
> desktop.
>
> You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily as
> you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC, you can
> copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files and
> folders from one OS to the other.

But I bet it will be slow, very slow.
I got an emulator for the CBM 64 on my 2500 AMdxp it runs great, but on
my old 1Ghz system, it ran like a snail,
so an Apple running Xp will be like like running XP on a 233 I should
think :

> BAR wrote:
> > OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need
not

> Oh lighten up, we are only pulling your leg.
>
> > be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants
> > install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by
The
> > Undertaker.
>

> > To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for
Intel
> > [and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not
specifically
> > state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of
this]

> No, which is a problem, thhis really needs to be addresed, because I get
> fed up of seeing Intel all over the place, so many pro_intel companies.
> Take Dell for instance, they stick with a over priced chip.

Stick with the best

> > will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.
>
> Nope.
>
> > However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual
PC 7'
> > works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
> > launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
> > desktop.
> >
> > You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily
as
> > you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC,
you can
> > copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files
and
> > folders from one OS to the other.
> >

> But I bet it will be slow, very slow.
> I got an emulator for the CBM 64 on my 2500 AMdxp it runs great, but on
> my old 1Ghz system, it ran like a snail,
> so an Apple running Xp will be like like running XP on a 233 I should
> think :

Yes, in a roundabout way. Go purchase Microsoft's Virtual PC for the Mac,
which includes a full version of XP on a regular CD (depending on the
version you buy.) It's even reasonably priced.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=whichver

"The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
> I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
> and
> install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
> Thanks.
> Patrick

"Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote

> Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.

And the rest of us are very happy that they do, thank you.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com