Windows XP on Apple

Dear All,
I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
Thanks.
Patrick
34 answers Last reply
More about windows apple

    Neither Apple or Microsoft will like you to do this. You may be able to use
    a Windows emulator in order to install XP. However, I have not done this
    nor have I seen this done before. Please also not that Microsoft will not
    support this set up and may even block any XP updates.

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
    > and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

    AFAIK Windows XP only runs on x86 compatible processors; i.e Intel
    Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family. If you REALLY want
    Windows XP on Mac, you can try Virtual PC for Mac.

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=virtualpc

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
    > and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

    The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
    Intel processors only.

    To run Windows application in Macs, you need to emulate the Windows
    Environment.

    Apple has this software:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

    "The Undertaker" wrote:

    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

    XP will not run natively on a Mac computer. There is emulation software
    that will create an environment where XP will run however.

    Some information here http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html and
    http://searchcgi.apple.com/cgi-bin/sp/nph-searchpre1.pl

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
    and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
    and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

    no, it cannot be done.
    as a few have mentioned, there are emulators available...
    but they are probably expensive...and the guest OS is sure
    to take a big performance hit

    > The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
    > Intel processors only.

    HUH?

    Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great on
    his XP box.

    BAR wrote:
    > The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
    > Intel processors only.

    You meant:
    The Windows operating system has been designed to be run on x86_32
    processors for WindowsXP, x86_64 for Windows XP 64-bit Edition.

    -mk

    OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need not
    be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants to
    install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by The
    Undertaker.

    To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for Intel
    [and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not specifically
    state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of this]
    will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.

    However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual PC 7'
    works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
    launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
    desktop.

    You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily as
    you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC, you can
    copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files and
    folders from one OS to the other.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

    This goes more to the point of solving The Undertaker's needs.

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
    >> Intel processors only.
    >
    > HUH?
    >
    > Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great on
    > his XP box.

    That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.

    Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
    >

    >> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run
    >>> on
    >>> Intel processors only.
    >>
    >> HUH?
    >>
    >> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great
    >> on
    >> his XP box.
    >
    > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
    >
    > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)

    BAR specifically said "Intel processors only". That isn't true!

    And AMD CPUs , for my money are just as substantial and more reasonably
    priced than anything Intel........

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:39:57 -0500, Tom wrote:

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
    >>

    >>> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> HUH?
    >>>
    >>> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great
    >>> on
    >>> his XP box.
    >>
    >> That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    >> explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    >> general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
    >>
    >> Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
    >>

    > BAR specifically said "Intel processors only". That isn't true!

    And I don't see where I disagreed with you at all.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
    > >

    > >> "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> HUH?
    > >>
    > >> Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running
    great
    > >> on
    > >> his XP box.
    > >
    > > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    > > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    > > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
    > >
    > > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
    > >

    > BAR specifically said "Intel processors only". That isn't true!

    He should say x386 family processors (and up), not Motorolla base CPU
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Sandman" <Peterf41@Bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > And AMD CPUs , for my money are just as substantial and more reasonably
    > priced than anything Intel........

    And how this relates to the topic?

    > "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:55:45 -0500, Tom wrote:
    > >

    > > > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > on
    > > >
    > > > HUH?
    > > >
    > > > Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running
    great
    > on
    > > > his XP box.
    > >
    > > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    > > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    > > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
    > >
    > > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
    > >

    > > --
    > > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > > remove 999 in order to email me

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    The Undertaker wrote:
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

    I doubt it, since apple uses a different system.
    Why on earth would you want to put a poor Mac thought the digrace of
    having windows XP on for?

    I know a few years badk there was emulators so you could run windows
    over the top of a MAc Os, but if they are around now and if they could
    run XP, I do not know.
    Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Ad "if they are around now and if they could run XP, I do not know."

    If you care to read the previous post I included ther URL for Apple's site.
    They make this emulator and it is available now!

    Maybe I should have put this in Braille.

    "Ad" wrote:

    > The Undertaker wrote:
    > > Dear All,
    > > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop and
    > > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > > Thanks.
    > > Patrick
    > >

    > I doubt it, since apple uses a different system.
    > Why on earth would you want to put a poor Mac thought the digrace of
    > having windows XP on for?
    >
    > I know a few years badk there was emulators so you could run windows
    > over the top of a MAc Os, but if they are around now and if they could
    > run XP, I do not know.
    > Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    BAR wrote:
    > The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
    > Intel processors only.

    So that is why I am using it on AMD based computer :-)
    Sorry, I had to slip that one in

    > To run Windows application in Macs, you need to emulate the Windows
    > Environment.
    >
    > Apple has this software:
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/

    so it is still around then.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Tom wrote:
    > "BAR" <BAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>The Windows operating system has been designed [written for] to be run on
    >>Intel processors only.
    >

    > HUH?
    >
    > Where do you get this info? My friend has an AMD processor running great on
    > his XP box.

    I think he mucked up, or he is a Intel salesman :-)
    I always use AMD, got Windows XP running on a 400Mhz AMd and a 2500 one
    as well
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in

    Windows XP uses some features of the AMD chip.

    > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.

    Bloody Intel. :-)

    > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)

    No, I do not think my Amiga would run Xp, mind you, I would not mind
    giving it a try :-)
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Leythos wrote:
    > >

    > > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    > > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    >
    > Windows XP uses some features of the AMD chip.
    >
    > > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
    > >

    > Bloody Intel. :-)
    >
    > > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
    > >

    > No, I do not think my Amiga would run Xp, mind you, I would not mind
    > giving it a try :-)

    I think AmigaOS is/was better than any windows ever released.
    Of course we have to remember that AmigaOS last version was around when we
    still had Win3.1 with 16 colors
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    BAR wrote:
    > OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need not

    Oh lighten up, we are only pulling your leg.

    > be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants to
    > install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by The
    > Undertaker.

    > To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for Intel
    > [and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not specifically
    > state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of this]

    No, which is a problem, thhis really needs to be addresed, because I get
    fed up of seeing Intel all over the place, so many pro_intel companies.
    Take Dell for instance, they stick with a over priced chip.

    > will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.

    Nope.

    > However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual PC 7'
    > works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
    > launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
    > desktop.
    >
    > You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily as
    > you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC, you can
    > copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files and
    > folders from one OS to the other.

    But I bet it will be slow, very slow.
    I got an emulator for the CBM 64 on my 2500 AMdxp it runs great, but on
    my old 1Ghz system, it ran like a snail,
    so an Apple running Xp will be like like running XP on a 233 I should
    think :
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > BAR wrote:
    > > OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need
    not

    > Oh lighten up, we are only pulling your leg.
    >
    > > be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants
    > > install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by
    The
    > > Undertaker.
    >

    > > To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for
    Intel
    > > [and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not
    specifically
    > > state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of
    this]

    > No, which is a problem, thhis really needs to be addresed, because I get
    > fed up of seeing Intel all over the place, so many pro_intel companies.
    > Take Dell for instance, they stick with a over priced chip.

    Stick with the best

    > > will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.
    >
    > Nope.
    >
    > > However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual
    PC 7'
    > > works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
    > > launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
    > > desktop.
    > >
    > > You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily
    as
    > > you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC,
    you can
    > > copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files
    and
    > > folders from one OS to the other.
    > >

    > But I bet it will be slow, very slow.
    > I got an emulator for the CBM 64 on my 2500 AMdxp it runs great, but on
    > my old 1Ghz system, it ran like a snail,
    > so an Apple running Xp will be like like running XP on a 233 I should
    > think :
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Yes, in a roundabout way. Go purchase Microsoft's Virtual PC for the Mac,
    which includes a full version of XP on a regular CD (depending on the
    version you buy.) It's even reasonably priced.

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/virtualpc.aspx?pid=whichver

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
    > and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote

    > Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.

    And the rest of us are very happy that they do, thank you.

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 08:27:16 -0500, zibby wrote:

    > "Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Leythos wrote:
    >> >

    >> > That's because AMD emulates Intel. Sure, there are some OS's that make
    >> > explicit use of AMD specific instructions, but AMD was designed, in
    >>
    >> Windows XP uses some features of the AMD chip.
    >>
    >> > general, to emulate Intel for application and OS compatibility.
    >> >

    >> Bloody Intel. :-)
    >>
    >> > Not quite the same as running a Motorola CPU with XP :)
    >> >

    >> No, I do not think my Amiga would run Xp, mind you, I would not mind
    >> giving it a try :-)
    >

    > I think AmigaOS is/was better than any windows ever released.
    > Of course we have to remember that AmigaOS last version was around when we
    > still had Win3.1 with 16 colors

    I completely disagree. The Amiga was a certain class of machine, it was
    designed for a purpose and it does very well at it. The Windows machines
    were also designed for a purpose and they also do very well at their
    purpose.

    I never bought an Amiga, but I owned every version of Commodore computer
    from the PET 2001 onward until Commodore close it's doors. We use to have
    the largest Commodore user group / BBS in the country (USA) at one point.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I don't believe MS has ported XP to run on Motorola or RISC processors yet -
    to date only Intel, AMD and older DOS/Windows would run on Evergreen/Citrix
    (can't remember too well - back in the mid 90's).

    --
    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!
    "Google is your Friend!"

    "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dear All,
    > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac laptop
    and
    > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > Thanks.
    > Patrick

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Opinicus wrote:
    > "Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote
    >
    >> Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.
    >

    > And the rest of us are very happy that they do, thank you.

    They got sense,
    why on earth do they want a bulked up Microsoft application slowing down
    their machine?
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    zibby wrote:

    >>No, which is a problem, thhis really needs to be addresed, because I get
    >>fed up of seeing Intel all over the place, so many pro_intel companies.
    >>Take Dell for instance, they stick with a over priced chip.
    >

    > Stick with the best

    In your dreams, AMD is much better value than an Intel.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    zibby wrote:

    > I think AmigaOS is/was better than any windows ever released.
    > Of course we have to remember that AmigaOS last version was around when we
    > still had Win3.1 with 16 colors

    Oh yes and the P.C was going beep beep.
    I remember a mate of mine got himself a nice new P.C and I went over to
    see it, and laughed, he came over my place to look at my Amiga and was
    gob smacked. the Amiga really was a better copmputer and I think if
    commodore was still around, then there would have been a true
    alternative to the P.C
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Leythos wrote:

    > I completely disagree. The Amiga was a certain class of machine, it was
    > designed for a purpose and it does very well at it. The Windows machines
    > were also designed for a purpose and they also do very well at their
    > purpose.

    The Amiga was a far better machine than the P.C at the time, now the
    P.cC wins hands down in most things.

    > I never bought an Amiga, but I owned every version of Commodore computer
    > from the PET 2001 onward until Commodore close it's doors. We use to have
    > the largest Commodore user group / BBS in the country (USA) at one point.

    If you never owned an Amiga, you do not know what you have missed.
    It was a fantastic machine.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Huh?!?!! Lots of folks run MS Office on Macs.

    Ad wrote:

    > Opinicus wrote:
    >
    >> "Ad" <graphi47uk@y.a.h.o.o.co.uk> wrote
    >>
    >>> Most Mac users try and keep away from Microsoft products.
    >>

    >> And the rest of us are very happy that they do, thank you.
    >>

    > They got sense,
    > why on earth do they want a bulked up Microsoft application slowing down
    > their machine?
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Thanks for all, didn't know my post would get so many answers!!!

    > OK all you nit picking twits. Given the nature of the question one need
    not
    > be so specific in a response. Given that the man has an Apple and wants
    > install Windows - in general - not possible in the manner suggested by The
    > Undertaker.
    >
    > To be complete with the answer, Microsoft Windows XP as published for
    Intel
    > [and Intel Compatible products, although one generally does not
    specifically
    > state AMD as anyone with one day's experience in computers knows of this]
    > will not install or operate in the Apple Computer.
    >
    > However, it is possible to Emulate Windows on a Mac with OSX: 'Virtual PC
    7'
    > works by emulating a Pentium-based Windows machine on your Mac. When you
    > launch Virtual PC, the Windows OS appears inside a window on your Mac
    > desktop.
    >
    > You can switch back and forth between your Mac OS and Windows as easily as
    > you go between any two windows on your Mac desktop. Using Virtual PC, you
    can
    > copy and paste text and graphics between Mac and Windows, and drag files
    and
    > folders from one OS to the other.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/applications/virtualpc/
    >
    > This goes more to the point of solving The Undertaker's needs.
    > "philo" wrote:
    >

    > > "The Undertaker" <chrispak9@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Dear All,
    > > > I would like to know if there is a possibility to partition a Mac
    laptop
    > > and
    > > > install WIndows XP on one of the local disks.
    > > > Thanks.
    > > > Patrick
    > > >

    > > no, it cannot be done.
    > > as a few have mentioned, there are emulators available...
    > > but they are probably expensive...and the guest OS is sure
    > > to take a big performance hit

  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Bob I wrote:
    > Huh?!?!! Lots of folks run MS Office on Macs.

    But most die hard Mac fans would not touch MS office with a barge pole.
    the person down the road from me, would never have a Micirosft product
    on his Mac and he been using Apple Machines since the Apple Lisa.
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    > Bob I wrote:
    > > Huh?!?!! Lots of folks run MS Office on Macs.
    > >

    > But most die hard Mac fans would not touch MS office with a barge pole.
    > the person down the road from me, would never have a Micirosft product
    > on his Mac and he been using Apple Machines since the Apple Lisa.

    and I'm sure his "hobby" costs a lot.

    I just wonder why would you send more money when you can do same thing on PC
    for much less $$

Hardware Windows XP Microsoft Apple Product