External drive problem

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Hi,

I have XP Pro on an Asus P34B533-E with 1.8CPU and 512 RAM with a 300w
power supply.
4 Gard Drives not couting this one, a CDRW abd floppy.

I have just bought a Laser brand external case for USN2,1 and Firewire.
It uses the drivers that come with XP.

When I boot up it shows it is connected in Computer mgmt and Explorer
however some time later it disconnects itself and a panel comes up
saying it is not there and data could be lost. It has a heppened a few
times.

When I go into Computer managemenbt at this time, it just hangs there
trying to connect and I am unable to see any of the drives let alonbe
this one.

When I connect it later ther drives are there with all the files, but
later it disconnects itself again.

Is there anyway in XP where I can test the validity of the USB
connections? I have tried it on 3 of the USB connections I have on the box.

I tried the Firewire connection however it does not see the drive at all.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rock

bar

Open up device manager
Right click on USB Root Hub - choose properties
Click on the Power Management Tab
Make sure 'Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power' is UNCHECKED

"Rock" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have XP Pro on an Asus P34B533-E with 1.8CPU and 512 RAM with a 300w
> power supply.
> 4 Gard Drives not couting this one, a CDRW abd floppy.
>
> I have just bought a Laser brand external case for USN2,1 and Firewire.
> It uses the drivers that come with XP.
>
> When I boot up it shows it is connected in Computer mgmt and Explorer
> however some time later it disconnects itself and a panel comes up
> saying it is not there and data could be lost. It has a heppened a few
> times.
>
> When I go into Computer managemenbt at this time, it just hangs there
> trying to connect and I am unable to see any of the drives let alonbe
> this one.
>
> When I connect it later ther drives are there with all the files, but
> later it disconnects itself again.
>
> Is there anyway in XP where I can test the validity of the USB
> connections? I have tried it on 3 of the USB connections I have on the box.
>
> I tried the Firewire connection however it does not see the drive at all.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>

> Rock

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Ah Haaa... Thanks..

BAR wrote:
> Open up device manager
> Right click on USB Root Hub - choose properties
> Click on the Power Management Tab
> Make sure 'Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power' is UNCHECKED
>
> "Rock" wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I have XP Pro on an Asus P34B533-E with 1.8CPU and 512 RAM with a 300w
>>power supply.
>>4 Gard Drives not couting this one, a CDRW abd floppy.
>>
>>I have just bought a Laser brand external case for USN2,1 and Firewire.
>> It uses the drivers that come with XP.
>>
>>When I boot up it shows it is connected in Computer mgmt and Explorer
>>however some time later it disconnects itself and a panel comes up
>>saying it is not there and data could be lost. It has a heppened a few
>>times.
>>
>>When I go into Computer managemenbt at this time, it just hangs there
>>trying to connect and I am unable to see any of the drives let alonbe
>>this one.
>>
>>When I connect it later ther drives are there with all the files, but
>>later it disconnects itself again.
>>
>>Is there anyway in XP where I can test the validity of the USB
>>connections? I have tried it on 3 of the USB connections I have on the box.
>>
>>I tried the Firewire connection however it does not see the drive at all.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Thanks
>>

>>Rock

TRENDING THREADS