Problem with audio driver

My system has a windows 98 motherboard on which i'm running xp. i just
reformatted the disk and got SP2, so the audio driver was to be installed
from the internet. But when I go to device manager to update driver, it just
searches my computer and does not give me an option to search the internet
for the driver. There is no sound in my comp. Please help!!!

Hello

Find out who your mother brd maker is and go to that website
sites ad find the drivers that you need. Example of mother type's
can be Asus, BioStar, Abit, Intel, Etc.

alvin

Chinmay wrote:

> My system has a windows 98 motherboard on which i'm running xp. i just
> reformatted the disk and got SP2, so the audio driver was to be installed
> from the internet. But when I go to device manager to update driver, it just
> searches my computer and does not give me an option to search the internet
> for the driver. There is no sound in my comp. Please help!!!

The drivers may not be automatically found for you. The Windows Update
process may not contain them. You will need to locate them yourself.

"Alvin Brown" <alvin1@swbell.net> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Find out who your mother brd maker is and go to that website
> sites ad find the drivers that you need. Example of mother type's
> can be Asus, BioStar, Abit, Intel, Etc.
>
> alvin
>

> Chinmay wrote:
>
>> My system has a windows 98 motherboard on which i'm running xp. i just
>> reformatted the disk and got SP2, so the audio driver was to be installed
>> from the internet. But when I go to device manager to update driver, it
>> just
>> searches my computer and does not give me an option to search the
>> internet
>> for the driver. There is no sound in my comp. Please help!!!

Hi Chinmay, you need to install the Windows XP compatible audio drivers for
your audio card/chip. You can find the driver on the motherboard CD(if sound
is onboard) or you can download the latest drivers from the motherboard
manufacturer website. If you do not have the motherboard CD or need help
with downloading the drivers from the Internet, mention the brand
name(Mercury, Gigabyte etc.) and model number (generally a collection of
numbers and alphabets; ex. P44A12).

There are generally three places to locate the motherboard model number:
Either on the box, on the manual, or the motherboard.
On most boards, the model number is located in between the PCI slots (the
three to five white slots running down the motherboard. On some older boards
it will be located around the CPU. On a few select boards, the model number
is located on the top right corner of the motherboard.
On the manual or the box, the model number will be on the front cover in
large bold letters.