there was not a scsi newsgroup so i posted here. I am at work and one of the
computers hard drives failed and we do not have a spare except a scsi that
plugs into the card in the pci slot. But anyway when i bootup to a floppy of
a windows 98 cd it stops at this part "Pci bus scan complete". I looked on
the internet and it looks like the next step would have something to do with
the cdrom so i booted to a floppy without cdrom support that worked it was
able to format the hard drive. But i can not install windows 98 because if i
try to boot to a floppy with cdrom support or booting to the 98 cd it still
stops at the same message durring bootup "Pci bus scan complete" . If i try
to boot to a windows 2000 cd that works but when it gets to the part that
you normaly hit f8 it says "setup did not find a boot disk drives installed
in your computer"

Any ideas so i can install windows 98?

And what is your problem with Win XP??

"sthompson" wrote:

> there was not a scsi newsgroup so i posted here. I am at work and one of the
> computers hard drives failed and we do not have a spare except a scsi that
> plugs into the card in the pci slot. But anyway when i bootup to a floppy of
> a windows 98 cd it stops at this part "Pci bus scan complete". I looked on
> the internet and it looks like the next step would have something to do with
> the cdrom so i booted to a floppy without cdrom support that worked it was
> able to format the hard drive. But i can not install windows 98 because if i
> try to boot to a floppy with cdrom support or booting to the 98 cd it still
> stops at the same message durring bootup "Pci bus scan complete" . If i try
> to boot to a windows 2000 cd that works but when it gets to the part that
> you normaly hit f8 it says "setup did not find a boot disk drives installed
> in your computer"
>
> Any ideas so i can install windows 98?

SCSI adapter (PCI slotted card) required to have a driver installed during
XP set up. Download the driver(s) from the manufacturer's web site and when
the XP install process is starting, look for <F6> an install 3rd party
drives. Press it and add the SCSI drivers.

sthompson wrote:
> there was not a scsi newsgroup so i posted here. I am at work and one of the
> computers hard drives failed and we do not have a spare except a scsi that
> plugs into the card in the pci slot. But anyway when i bootup to a floppy of
> a windows 98 cd it stops at this part "Pci bus scan complete". I looked on
> the internet and it looks like the next step would have something to do with
> the cdrom so i booted to a floppy without cdrom support that worked it was
> able to format the hard drive. But i can not install windows 98 because if i
> try to boot to a floppy with cdrom support or booting to the 98 cd it still
> stops at the same message durring bootup "Pci bus scan complete" . If i try
> to boot to a windows 2000 cd that works but when it gets to the part that
> you normaly hit f8 it says "setup did not find a boot disk drives installed
> in your computer"
>
> Any ideas so i can install windows 98?

This is more of a Windows 98 setup question than
Windows 2000 as they have different approaches, IIRC,
for adding the proper SCSI drivers during setup. Visit
microsoft.public.win98.setup and re-post the question.
Using the Win98 setup floppy diskette is required.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

You need to partition the drive and make it Active(bootable),
before it can be recognized as a bootable drive.