Monitor Resolution

Just got a new monitor that recommends resolution of 1280x1024. I know that
by defintion this means more resolution but maybe my eyes are much worse than
I imagined. This setting makes everything way too small! I prefer it way
back at 1024x768 and believe it or not 800x600 is not that bad. what am I
missing when it comes to resolution? My eyes really aren't that bad. I find
it hard to believe they recommend resolution that high. Thanks.

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 01:43:04 -0800, ATCStephen wrote:

> Just got a new monitor that recommends resolution of 1280x1024. I know that
> by defintion this means more resolution but maybe my eyes are much worse than
> I imagined. This setting makes everything way too small! I prefer it way
> back at 1024x768 and believe it or not 800x600 is not that bad. what am I
> missing when it comes to resolution? My eyes really aren't that bad. I find
> it hard to believe they recommend resolution that high. Thanks.

There are a few things that Resolution tells you - one, always buy a
monitor that does one Res higher than you want to run normally, this gets
you a higher refresh rate and a clearer image in most cases.

So, running at a lower RES, this means that you can, often, run at a
higher refresh rate - to reduce flicker for various reasons - and higher
color depths depending on the card/driver. Past about 32,000 colors you
don't notice the difference (for most people) but some people that are
editing image files run at the 16 million color depth.

Running at Lower Res means that you have less room on the screen to place
things - as an example at 1600x1200 I can have a readable MS Word document
open and also have my email client on the other part of the screen where I
can watch it, or the browser so that I can cut/paste without having to
move windows. If you're a one application at a time type person then a
lower res just means you have to scroll more. If you run many applications
at one time then the higher res can make it easier to move between them.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

ATCStephen wrote:

> Just got a new monitor that recommends resolution of 1280x1024. I know that
> by defintion this means more resolution but maybe my eyes are much worse than
> I imagined. This setting makes everything way too small! I prefer it way
> back at 1024x768 and believe it or not 800x600 is not that bad. what am I
> missing when it comes to resolution? My eyes really aren't that bad. I find
> it hard to believe they recommend resolution that high. Thanks.

Click the "Advanced" button on the "Settings" tab of the "Display
Properties" popup (right click the desktop, click properties). Look on
the "General" tab for the "DPI" setting.

You don't say if your monitor/display is a CRT (convex or flat SCREEN)
or LCD/flat PANEL). Use the manufacturer's recomended resolution with
the flat panels and make all your adjustments with the DPI setting or
the font settings on the "Display Properties" Appearance tab.