Ram showed as 256MB although its 512 MB :(

Hi. I just bought Athlon64 3500+ 939 socket system. Mobo is MSI Neo2
K8T MS-6702E.RAM is 512 MB DDR 400 Mhz one.The problem is when I
right click "My Computer" and go to Properties , its showing as 256
MB. Even I changed another RAM but still its showing same 256 MB !
But when I go to System Information under System Tools its displayed
as Total Physical Memory as 512.00 MB. Even I tried changing Memclock
value to [DDR400] under DRAM Configuration. But still its showing as
256 MB after booting Win xp and going to System Properties. But when
I try to load default values and start booting its showing as 512 MB
! But then after restarting again its going back to 256 MB.

I did memtest and these were the results

Memtest-86 v3.2
AMD Athlon 64 220 Mhz
L1 Cache: 128 18031 MB/S
L2 Cache: 512K 4480 MB/S
Memory: 256M 1535 MB/S
Chipset: VIA K8T800Pro (ECC: Disabled)
Settings: RAM: 200Mhz(DDR400) / CAS: 3-3-3-8 / Single Channel(64
bits)

WallTIme Cached RsvdMem Memcap Cache Ecc Test Pass Errors EccErrs
0:02:20 256M 104K e820-std on off std 0 2 0

So looks like there is no problem in RAM...
Initially I had problems of monitor blinking(i mean signal not going
to monitor when booting comp) And when I did reset that bios by using
that jumper and then restarted, it was fine. This problem happened
many times but now its working fine(20+ boots without any problem
till now) Only thing is memory :(
Please help me. Thanks.

"gopikrish" <gopikrish_19@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hi. I just bought Athlon64 3500+ 939 socket system. Mobo is MSI Neo2
> K8T MS-6702E.RAM is 512 MB DDR 400 Mhz one.The problem is when I
> right click "My Computer" and go to Properties , its showing as 256
> MB. Even I changed another RAM but still its showing same 256 MB !
> But when I go to System Information under System Tools its displayed
> as Total Physical Memory as 512.00 MB. Even I tried changing Memclock
> value to [DDR400] under DRAM Configuration. But still its showing as
> 256 MB after booting Win xp and going to System Properties. But when
> I try to load default values and start booting its showing as 512 MB
> ! But then after restarting again its going back to 256 MB.

It's possible your motherboard requires low-density RAM but you bought high
density. If you bought it from a reputable dealer, they'll exchange it at
no cost.

Tom Lake

pat

Expert

I had a very similar problem with the same board (k8t neo2 FIR). A
bios update fixed the problem. Don't know if it's up on the MSI web
site now or not; I emailed MSI support and the sent me version 3.3.1.

Thanks Pat. I already did that and its fixed now !
Thanks a lot.