MSI K8N Neo not booting

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2005 6:18:42 PM

Hi

I just bought myself a new setup yesterday and upon installing
everything and turning on i can't get past the BIOS splash screen. It
comes up with a lovely piucture with text below saying to press TAB to
run POST or to press DEL to enter BIOS setup.

All well and good but hitting either of these keys dosen't do
anything.

I'm wondering if this mobo needs to have a case fan plugged into it? I
have an oldish case and the case fan only has a 2 pin plug not the
three pin plug as is on the mobo, meaning there is no RPM snesor in
my case fan.

Would getting a newer case fan solve my problem or have i just got a
dud board?

Oh system specs

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2 X 512MB DDR 400 RAM
Radeon 9600XT gfx card
old 20 GB hdd and a maxtor 80 GB hdd.

More about : msi k8n neo booting

February 7, 2005 7:53:26 PM

bobsyerukle wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just bought myself a new setup yesterday and upon installing
> everything and turning on i can't get past the BIOS splash screen. It
> comes up with a lovely piucture with text below saying to press TAB to
> run POST or to press DEL to enter BIOS setup.
>
> All well and good but hitting either of these keys dosen't do
> anything.
>
> I'm wondering if this mobo needs to have a case fan plugged into it? I
> have an oldish case and the case fan only has a 2 pin plug not the
> three pin plug as is on the mobo, meaning there is no RPM snesor in
> my case fan.
>
> Would getting a newer case fan solve my problem or have i just got a
> dud board?
>
> Oh system specs
>
> AMD Athlon 64 3000+
> 2 X 512MB DDR 400 RAM
> Radeon 9600XT gfx card
> old 20 GB hdd and a maxtor 80 GB hdd.

I found that this mb is sensitive to RAM. TRy one stick at a time.

fb
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 1:19:41 AM

bobsyerukle skrev:
> Hi
>
> I just bought myself a new setup yesterday and upon installing
> everything and turning on i can't get past the BIOS splash screen. It
> comes up with a lovely piucture with text below saying to press TAB to
> run POST or to press DEL to enter BIOS setup.
>
> All well and good but hitting either of these keys dosen't do
> anything.
>
> I'm wondering if this mobo needs to have a case fan plugged into it? I
> have an oldish case and the case fan only has a 2 pin plug not the
> three pin plug as is on the mobo, meaning there is no RPM snesor in
> my case fan.
>
> Would getting a newer case fan solve my problem or have i just got a
> dud board?
>
> Oh system specs
>
> AMD Athlon 64 3000+
> 2 X 512MB DDR 400 RAM
> Radeon 9600XT gfx card
> old 20 GB hdd and a maxtor 80 GB hdd.

hi

no. reset bios and test again

coco
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2005 5:18:45 PM

is your ram in slot 1 & 2 it should be.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 11, 2005 9:18:19 PM

"Amiteriver." <Amiteriver@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse
> is your ram in slot 1 & 2 it should be.

Have had same problem, why can?t I boot with RAM in slot 2 & 4 as the
manual says for dual RAM?

Greetings Aksel
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 13, 2005 7:17:32 PM

same issue with me.

"Hi,

I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
hard (ide) drives.

I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
does nothing….

At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome."

MSI K8N Neo 2
1GB Value
80 IDE Western H/ D OLD
30GB Maxtor H/D old
GForce Ultra ( vvold)

David
February 14, 2005 10:21:22 AM

generalbelgrano wrote:
> same issue with me.
>
> "Hi,
>
> I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
> of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
> hard (ide) drives.
>
> I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
> Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
> through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
> screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
> Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
> does nothing�.
>
> At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
> ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome."
>
> MSI K8N Neo 2
> 1GB Value
> 80 IDE Western H/ D OLD
> 30GB Maxtor H/D old
> GForce Ultra ( vvold)
>
> David

Most likely the device drivers you had been using are incompatible with
the new hardware and causing it to crash before it can detect the new
hardware.

You can try:

1. Go into your BIOS settings:

Advanced BIOS Features > 1st Boot Device

and set this to CDROM. 2nd Boot Device to Hard drive. You should be
able to boot from your Windows CD and try the repair Windows option.

if that doesn't work

2. Try booting into Safe Mode, then into

Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.

The area marked System Devices is the section most likely to cause the
reboot problem. Try removing the devices in this part. The trick is to
remove enough of the devices so that Windows can start and begin
detecting the new hardware.

I saved myself that grief by backing up my data before I plugged the
drive in the new board. Then formatted and installed Windows fresh.

Don
February 14, 2005 8:38:16 PM

>same issue with me.
>
>"Hi,
>
>I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
>of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
>hard (ide) drives.
>
>I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
>Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
>through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
>screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
>Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
>does nothing….
>
>At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
>ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome."
>
>MSI K8N Neo 2
>1GB Value
>80 IDE Western H/ D OLD
>30GB Maxtor H/D old
>GForce Ultra ( vvold)
>
>David

I had the same thing happen when I switched from a Via board to my current MSI
NEO 2 Platinum.

Only solution for me was to do a reformat and re-install XP..... worked fine
then.

Sometimes one can get away without a re-install, but AIS I could not get past
the blue screen... so unfortunately I had no option but to re-install.

If you don't fancy having to re-install, it may be possible to boot from the XP
cdrom and select the repair option, where.. if successful it will pick up all
the programs which are currently installed.
Sometimes however, especially if XP has been on for quite a long time it may be
beneficial to go the re-install route.

Mike
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
February 15, 2005 4:49:36 PM

Did you ever figure it out? I think I'm having a similar problem to you.
!