MSI K8N Neo not booting

Hi

I just bought myself a new setup yesterday and upon installing
everything and turning on i can't get past the BIOS splash screen. It
comes up with a lovely piucture with text below saying to press TAB to
run POST or to press DEL to enter BIOS setup.

All well and good but hitting either of these keys dosen't do
anything.

I'm wondering if this mobo needs to have a case fan plugged into it? I
have an oldish case and the case fan only has a 2 pin plug not the
three pin plug as is on the mobo, meaning there is no RPM snesor in
my case fan.

Would getting a newer case fan solve my problem or have i just got a
dud board?

Oh system specs

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
2 X 512MB DDR 400 RAM
Radeon 9600XT gfx card
old 20 GB hdd and a maxtor 80 GB hdd.
8 answers Last reply
More about booting

    bobsyerukle wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I just bought myself a new setup yesterday and upon installing
    > everything and turning on i can't get past the BIOS splash screen. It
    > comes up with a lovely piucture with text below saying to press TAB to
    > run POST or to press DEL to enter BIOS setup.
    >
    > All well and good but hitting either of these keys dosen't do
    > anything.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this mobo needs to have a case fan plugged into it? I
    > have an oldish case and the case fan only has a 2 pin plug not the
    > three pin plug as is on the mobo, meaning there is no RPM snesor in
    > my case fan.
    >
    > Would getting a newer case fan solve my problem or have i just got a
    > dud board?
    >
    > Oh system specs
    >
    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    > 2 X 512MB DDR 400 RAM
    > Radeon 9600XT gfx card
    > old 20 GB hdd and a maxtor 80 GB hdd.

    I found that this mb is sensitive to RAM. TRy one stick at a time.

    fb
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    bobsyerukle skrev:
    > Hi
    >
    > I just bought myself a new setup yesterday and upon installing
    > everything and turning on i can't get past the BIOS splash screen. It
    > comes up with a lovely piucture with text below saying to press TAB to
    > run POST or to press DEL to enter BIOS setup.
    >
    > All well and good but hitting either of these keys dosen't do
    > anything.
    >
    > I'm wondering if this mobo needs to have a case fan plugged into it? I
    > have an oldish case and the case fan only has a 2 pin plug not the
    > three pin plug as is on the mobo, meaning there is no RPM snesor in
    > my case fan.
    >
    > Would getting a newer case fan solve my problem or have i just got a
    > dud board?
    >
    > Oh system specs
    >
    > AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    > 2 X 512MB DDR 400 RAM
    > Radeon 9600XT gfx card
    > old 20 GB hdd and a maxtor 80 GB hdd.

    hi

    no. reset bios and test again

    coco
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    is your ram in slot 1 & 2 it should be.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    "Amiteriver." <Amiteriver@msn-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse
    > is your ram in slot 1 & 2 it should be.

    Have had same problem, why can?t I boot with RAM in slot 2 & 4 as the
    manual says for dual RAM?

    Greetings Aksel
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    same issue with me.

    "Hi,

    I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
    of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
    hard (ide) drives.

    I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
    Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
    through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
    screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
    Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
    does nothing….

    At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
    ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome."

    MSI K8N Neo 2
    1GB Value
    80 IDE Western H/ D OLD
    30GB Maxtor H/D old
    GForce Ultra ( vvold)

    David
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    generalbelgrano wrote:
    > same issue with me.
    >
    > "Hi,
    >
    > I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
    > of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
    > hard (ide) drives.
    >
    > I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
    > Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
    > through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
    > screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
    > Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
    > does nothing�.
    >
    > At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
    > ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome."
    >
    > MSI K8N Neo 2
    > 1GB Value
    > 80 IDE Western H/ D OLD
    > 30GB Maxtor H/D old
    > GForce Ultra ( vvold)
    >
    > David

    Most likely the device drivers you had been using are incompatible with
    the new hardware and causing it to crash before it can detect the new
    hardware.

    You can try:

    1. Go into your BIOS settings:

    Advanced BIOS Features > 1st Boot Device

    and set this to CDROM. 2nd Boot Device to Hard drive. You should be
    able to boot from your Windows CD and try the repair Windows option.

    if that doesn't work

    2. Try booting into Safe Mode, then into

    Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager.

    The area marked System Devices is the section most likely to cause the
    reboot problem. Try removing the devices in this part. The trick is to
    remove enough of the devices so that Windows can start and begin
    detecting the new hardware.

    I saved myself that grief by backing up my data before I plugged the
    drive in the new board. Then formatted and installed Windows fresh.

    Don
  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    >same issue with me.
    >
    >"Hi,
    >
    >I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
    >of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
    >hard (ide) drives.
    >
    >I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
    >Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
    >through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
    >screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
    >Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
    >does nothing….
    >
    >At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
    >ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome."
    >
    >MSI K8N Neo 2
    >1GB Value
    >80 IDE Western H/ D OLD
    >30GB Maxtor H/D old
    >GForce Ultra ( vvold)
    >
    >David

    I had the same thing happen when I switched from a Via board to my current MSI
    NEO 2 Platinum.

    Only solution for me was to do a reformat and re-install XP..... worked fine
    then.

    Sometimes one can get away without a re-install, but AIS I could not get past
    the blue screen... so unfortunately I had no option but to re-install.

    If you don't fancy having to re-install, it may be possible to boot from the XP
    cdrom and select the repair option, where.. if successful it will pick up all
    the programs which are currently installed.
    Sometimes however, especially if XP has been on for quite a long time it may be
    beneficial to go the re-install route.

    Mike
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Did you ever figure it out? I think I'm having a similar problem to you.

MSI-Microstar Cases Fan Motherboards