MSI K8N NEO4 vs NEO2

Hello,

I am currently building a new computer, starting from scratch. My idea
was to build an average computer capable of SW development, some gaming
(I do not need the latest and greatest).

Now I had decided I would go with the NEO2. Socket 939, NForce3, looked
like a good starting point with a 3000+ Athlon 64 and 512 mb Ram.

I started to wonder if I should not wait for the NEO4 instead - PCi-e,
NForce4... Any comments or ideas about this? And, have you had any
interesting experiences with either boards?

Fabio

mk

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Just built a system for a friend with the K8N neo4 platinum and amd64 3000+.
I chose this one since he had to buy a new video card it might as well be
the new Pci-e style. It's just a matter of upgradability.

Gollum <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in news:l28q011vs7tpdfgqlea38s0tcmaq11q664
@4ax.com:

> Hi,
> I would agree that both boards are a good choice. BUT on ZipZoomFly
> the Neo2 Platinum nforce3 Ultra and the Neo4 Platinum nforce4 Ultra
> are both the same price ( $ 154.99 ). Unless you have a dealer thats
> alot cheaper, it would seem the Neo4 has a better bang for the buck
>
> Gollum

Newegg has it for 143.00+5.00shipping. Both seem to be out of stock.

Gollum

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

On 12 Feb 2005 02:42:31 GMT, John Smithe <JS@huh.wha> wrote:

>Gollum <Gollum@pretty.net> wrote in news:l28q011vs7tpdfgqlea38s0tcmaq11q664
>@4ax.com:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would agree that both boards are a good choice. BUT on ZipZoomFly
>> the Neo2 Platinum nforce3 Ultra and the Neo4 Platinum nforce4 Ultra
>> are both the same price ( $ 154.99 ). Unless you have a dealer thats
>> alot cheaper, it would seem the Neo4 has a better bang for the buck
>>
>> Gollum
>>

>Newegg has it for 143.00+5.00shipping. Both seem to be out of stock.

I use Newegg frequently, have never used ZipZoom. But as you noticed
Newegg is out and ZipZoom has them. Plus the ZipZoom price includes
2nd Day FedEx, so they are only $ 7.00 apart.

Gollum

perucho07

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005

> fabiogrwrote:
Hello,

> I am currently building a new computer, starting from scratch. My
idea
> was to build an average computer capable of SW development, some
gaming
> (I do not need the latest and greatest).
>
> Now I had decided I would go with the NEO2. Socket 939, NForce3,
looked
> like a good starting point with a 3000+ Athlon 64 and 512 mb Ram.
>
> I started to wonder if I should not wait for the NEO4 instead -
PCi-e,
> NForce4... Any comments or ideas about this? And, have you had any
> interesting experiences with either boards?
>
> Fabio

Hello Fabio,
You aren't claiming by future performance and PCI-E is even
developing. On the other hand you may expend much more money buying
the PCI-E video card than its AGP counter-part. So I recommend you
the MSI K8N Neo2 for sure.
Pedro