Automate changing default audio playback device

I have two soundcards in my PC, a semi-pro card (M-Audio Audiophile)
and an Audigy for playing games.

When i want to play a game it's quite a faff having to open
control-panel, then 'Sounds and Audio Devices" and change the sound
playback device. And then to remember to change it back again after
the game.

Is this dialog a simple GUI for a command-line utility, 'cos then i
would be able to write a simple .bat file to toggle cards...(In an
ideal world it would be... i.e. linux)

If there isn't a command-line utility... does anybody know what the
relevant functions in the WinAPI are so i could come up with a quick
app?

Hi,

I have not heard the utility or command line to switch the default audio
playback device. I think you may do some programming for a quick
application.

For the API to implement this, it appears that this is a Development
related request and would best be address in the Developer newsgroups. I
have provided the link below:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

Or you may ask for developer support:
http://support.microsoft.com/directory/directory/phonepro.asp?sd=msdn

According to my knowledge, you may some help for DDK (Driver Develop Kit)
newsgroup.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469

Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

--------------------
| From: never-aways <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Automate changing default audio playback device
| Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 23:05:50 +0000
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
|
| I have two soundcards in my PC, a semi-pro card (M-Audio Audiophile)
| and an Audigy for playing games.
|
| When i want to play a game it's quite a faff having to open
| control-panel, then 'Sounds and Audio Devices" and change the sound
| playback device. And then to remember to change it back again after
| the game.
|
| Is this dialog a simple GUI for a command-line utility, 'cos then i
| would be able to write a simple .bat file to toggle cards...(In an
| ideal world it would be... i.e. linux)
|
| If there isn't a command-line utility... does anybody know what the
| relevant functions in the WinAPI are so i could come up with a quick
| app?

Latest posts