Should I install cont'd

Recently updated my motherboard to an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. Should I
install the AMD CPU driver? Should I install the Creative audio driver
provided by MSI? What is the creative driver for?

System:
1. MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard, 601-7025-010, BIOS 1.4
2. AMD Athlon64 3500+ Retail Box
3. OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 Platinum Revision 2, OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K 1GB kit
4. PNY GeForce 5700Ultra, NVidia 66.93 Drivers
5. WindowsXP
6. Creative Audigy LS (Drivers not installed yet, currently using the on
board audio but I plan to use this. Anyone think the onboard audio is
better?)

I not cuurently overclocking but I plan to try once all the drivers are
installed if the system seems stable.
JS

P.S. I plan to overclock once the dust settles.
3 answers Last reply
More about should install cont

    Am 12 Feb 2005 09:43:16 GMT schrieb John Smithe:
    Hi,

    > Recently updated my motherboard to an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. Should I
    > install the AMD CPU driver?

    Yes, you should. With that driver you can use the cool-n-quiet feature, so
    the CPU will run at lower speed when the power is not needed.

    > Should I install the Creative audio driver
    > provided by MSI?

    If there is a Creative chip Onboard, and if you plan to use that, then you
    may install that driver.

    > What is the creative driver for?

    There are some versions of that mainboard which are equipped with Creative
    audio chip onboard. You will have to verify, if that is true for your
    board.

    > System:

    > 5. WindowsXP

    SP2? You should install that.

    > 6. Creative Audigy LS (Drivers not installed yet, currently using the on
    > board audio but I plan to use this. Anyone think the onboard audio is
    > better?)

    No. A good PCI sound card is superior than any sound system integrated in
    the chipset. Most onboard sound system is software based so that CPU power
    is needed to calculate features like multichannel audio. Your soundcard
    relies on hardware specially designed for that.

    Michael
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Michael Paul wrote:
    > Am 12 Feb 2005 09:43:16 GMT schrieb John Smithe:
    > Hi,
    >

    >>Recently updated my motherboard to an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum. Should I
    >>install the AMD CPU driver?
    >

    > Yes, you should. With that driver you can use the cool-n-quiet feature, so
    > the CPU will run at lower speed when the power is not needed.
    >

    >>Should I install the Creative audio driver
    >>provided by MSI?
    >

    > If there is a Creative chip Onboard, and if you plan to use that, then you
    > may install that driver.
    >

    >>What is the creative driver for?
    >

    > There are some versions of that mainboard which are equipped with Creative
    > audio chip onboard. You will have to verify, if that is true for your
    > board.
    >

    >>System:
    >

    >>5. WindowsXP
    >

    > SP2? You should install that.
    >

    >>6. Creative Audigy LS (Drivers not installed yet, currently using the on
    >>board audio but I plan to use this. Anyone think the onboard audio is
    >>better?)
    >

    > No. A good PCI sound card is superior than any sound system integrated in
    > the chipset. Most onboard sound system is software based so that CPU power
    > is needed to calculate features like multichannel audio. Your soundcard
    > relies on hardware specially designed for that.
    >
    > Michael

    Hi,

    I switched to the K8N Neo2 Platinum last month and can't praise it enough.

    Definitely go with the AMD drivers and the nVidia drivers. Windows had a
    problem identifying the second USB channel on my board until I installed
    the nVidia driver.

    I tried the CD that came with the mobo but there's already newer
    versions of all the software available for download. I would recommend
    the BIOS upgrade from the MSI site. If you install the MSI Live Update
    package from the CD, it will check the website for updates for you.

    The Neo2 uses a RealTek audio processor and I discovered the nVidia
    driver provides support for that as well. I haven't touched the Creative
    driver as I wanted to know more about it before I tried it.

    Use the Windows Service Pack 1, but be cautious of Service Pack 2. I
    know people who've installed it and regretted it.

    Don
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.msi-microstar (More info?)

    Many thanks gentlemen. Sounds like good advice.

MSI-Microstar Platinum Creative Motherboards