Sharing Folders on Home Network

Last response: in Wireless Networking
March 25, 2005 9:47:48 AM

I am having trouble creating access to certain shared folders on my home
network. On the principle computer I have configured a variety of folders
for sharing, and they show up as such in Network Places on that computer.
But on my brand new "satellite" computer, i.e. the one which needs access to
the shared files, some of the folders show up and others don't. The ones
that do show up on the satellite's Network Places were configured by me some
time ago for sharing. The ones that do not show up were just configured for
sharing today. What am I overlooking? Any guidance would be appreciated.
March 25, 2005 10:48:37 AM

Terry Smerling wrote:

> I am having trouble creating access to certain shared folders on my
> home
> network. On the principle computer I have configured a variety of
> folders for sharing, and they show up as such in Network Places on
> that computer. But on my brand new "satellite" computer, i.e. the one
> which needs access to
> the shared files, some of the folders show up and others don't. The
> ones that do show up on the satellite's Network Places were configured
> by me some
> time ago for sharing. The ones that do not show up were just
> configured for
> sharing today. What am I overlooking? Any guidance would be
> appreciated.

Since you haven't told us anything about your network setup or what
operating systems you're running, you can't get specific advice. Here
are links to help you with networking:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/network_...
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/fileshar... (Home)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_fileshar...
(Pro)
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/troubleshoo...

Wireless Network Setup Wizard SP2
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cabl...

Wireless Information
Wireless - Basic Configuration -

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Hi

There are so many things that can cause this that it is hard o know where to
start.

In the middle of this page there is info about what you can expect from your
Wireless hardware.

Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

This page has instructions for configuration.

This one discusses Extending the Range.

And or, optimize your TCP/IP Stack.

http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Terry Smerling" <smerling@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> I am having trouble creating access to certain shared folders on my home
> network. On the principle computer I have configured a variety of folders
> for sharing, and they show up as such in Network Places on that computer.
> But on my brand new "satellite" computer, i.e. the one which needs access
> the shared files, some of the folders show up and others don't. The ones
> that do show up on the satellite's Network Places were configured by me
some
> time ago for sharing. The ones that do not show up were just configured
for
> sharing today. What am I overlooking? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 3:43:35 PM

My oversight. I apologize. Both the computers in question are running
Windows XP. The principal machine is WinXP Pro, and the satellite machine
is WinXP Media Center.

!