set up problems with upgarded system

Hi,

I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
hard (ide) drives.

I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
does nothing….

At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

David :?

FB

generalbelgrano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
> of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
> hard (ide) drives.
>
> I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
> Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
> through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
> screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
> Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
> does nothing�.
>
> At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
> ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> David :?

You probably will have to reinstall XP. When you change systems, XP has
a difficult time adjusting all the settings.

fb

generalbelgrano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
> of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
> hard (ide) drives.
>
> I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
> Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
> through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
> screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
> Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
> does nothing….
>
> At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
> ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> David :?

You should not have let the new board boot into windows XP. I just recently
did the same thing.

First, before shutting my old system down for the last time, I removed the
motherboard drivers, along with the video and sound card drivers.

Put my existing hard drives in new board, upon booting for the first time,
went into the bios and disabled some things I would not use, ie on board
sound, parrallel point, serial port. Then set the bios to boot from cd rom.
Inserted my Windows XP Pro cd, booted from the cd, and did a repair install
of the existing OS. It successfully did the in place upgrade. Upon booting
up, anything windows found and asked if I wanted to install drivers, I said
no or cancel. Some things it installed automaticaly, no biggie. I then
installed the motherboard drivers, rebooted, and proceeded to install
current drivers for my video card, sound card, etc.

This gave me a successful transition, system is running great, and certainly
saved a lot of time over a format and clean install. Kept all of my settings
intact, however i did image my hard drive prior to doing this " just in
case". I would always back up important data at the least before making a
change such as the mother board.

Hope this helps,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Mike

Splendid

generalbelgrano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
> of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
> hard (ide) drives.
>
> I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
> Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
> through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
> screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.
> Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
> does nothing�.
>
> At a complete loss? Any suggestions. I am new to this so could have
> ballsed it up some how. Any advice would be welcome.
>
> Thanks
>
> David :?

Did you do a clean install of WinXP or just transfer the drives.
Generally changing boards requires a clean install. Some have been
lucky and got away with the old files.

Am 13 Feb 2005 14:19:12 -0500 schrieb generalbelgrano:

Hi,

> I have a new MSI K8N Neo 2 motherboards, AMD 3000 Processor and 1 GB
> of compatible ram. I have bought a new case but have used my old
> hard (ide) drives.
>
> I have booted it up and everything starts okay and it goes to the
> Platinum menu with the POST or BIOS setting menu. It then goes
> through the process of starting with Windows XP but goes to a blue
> screen and the tries to reboot again. Basically caught in a loop.

So you tried to run your old OS run on new hardware? That will fail in
99% of all cases. You should have a chance if the old hardware were
similar to the new one (same chipset manufacturer).

> Have tried booting from the original operating system disc but it
> does nothing….

If that is an original Windows CD, it will wait some seconds for any
key. After that it will boot from HDD. Just watch the screen when
booting from CD.
But if you have some of these Recovery CDs, then forget it.

> At a complete loss?

No backup? Then the data isn't very important.

> Any suggestions.

If you still have your old hardware, reassemble that system, backup your
data and then run sysprep.exe. This should be somewhere on the Windows
CD (in deploy.cab or so). And please read the instructions you find on
microsoft's website concerning that, very carefully.

Or you may try a repair install from your Windows CD. For backupping
data, a KNOPPIX CD is very useful.

hth,
Michael

I'm ordering a MSI K8N Neo 2 mb and am just wondering is using your hardrive
with WinXP from your previous system (Abit KR7A mb is my old board) a
problem for most people or just a few? Is it really bad to try it with a
hope and a prayer 1st time to see if it works? And where do you find the mb
drivers to uninstall? I see under the device manager, system devices: 1)
motherboard resources & 2) system board. Is this what you mean?
Paul