HDD activity led stopped working?

I built this system a couple of weeks ago, have the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
motherboard, in a Lian Li case.

The hdd activity led was working fine, now all of a sudden it does not. It
does come on solid, when I first reboot the system, or boot from cold, but
then after it gets past bios and goes into Windows XP, it stops working
completely. It was blinking any time the hdd had activity.

I have double checked my connectors, and they are correct. I tried reversing
the connector, and it did not work at all, even when posting.

Any clues as to why all of a sudden it is doing this?

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way
of the man that's doing it."

FB

Don Burnette wrote:
> I built this system a couple of weeks ago, have the MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
> motherboard, in a Lian Li case.
>
> The hdd activity led was working fine, now all of a sudden it does not. It
> does come on solid, when I first reboot the system, or boot from cold, but
> then after it gets past bios and goes into Windows XP, it stops working
> completely. It was blinking any time the hdd had activity.
>
> I have double checked my connectors, and they are correct. I tried reversing
> the connector, and it did not work at all, even when posting.
>
> Any clues as to why all of a sudden it is doing this?

I have had a couple of Lian Li cases with burnt out led's. You might
swap the power and hd led connector to see if that's the problem.

fb

fb wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> I built this system a couple of weeks ago, have the MSI K8N Neo2
>> Platinum motherboard, in a Lian Li case.
>>
>> The hdd activity led was working fine, now all of a sudden it does
>> not. It does come on solid, when I first reboot the system, or boot
>> from cold, but then after it gets past bios and goes into Windows
>> XP, it stops working completely. It was blinking any time the hdd
>> had activity. I have double checked my connectors, and they are correct.
>> I tried
>> reversing the connector, and it did not work at all, even when
>> posting. Any clues as to why all of a sudden it is doing this?
>>

> I have had a couple of Lian Li cases with burnt out led's. You might
> swap the power and hd led connector to see if that's the problem.
>
> fb

I'll give it a try - it must not be burnt out, as it comes on solid when
first booting, after posting it goes out and stays out.

Thanks,

--
Don Burnette

"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the
way of the man that's doing it."

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Don Burnette wrote:
> fb wrote:
>
>>Don Burnette wrote:
>>
>>> I built this system a couple of weeks ago, have the MSI K8N Neo2
>>>Platinum motherboard, in a Lian Li case.
>>>
>>>The hdd activity led was working fine, now all of a sudden it does
>>>not. It does come on solid, when I first reboot the system, or boot
>>>from cold, but then after it gets past bios and goes into Windows
>>>XP, it stops working completely. It was blinking any time the hdd
>>>had activity. I have double checked my connectors, and they are correct.
>>>I tried
>>>reversing the connector, and it did not work at all, even when
>>>posting. Any clues as to why all of a sudden it is doing this?
>>>

>>I have had a couple of Lian Li cases with burnt out led's. You might
>>swap the power and hd led connector to see if that's the problem.
>>
>>fb
>

> I'll give it a try - it must not be burnt out, as it comes on solid when
> first booting, after posting it goes out and stays out.
>
> Thanks,

Are you by chance using SATA drives? I found a problem exactly like
yours with the VIA chipset and SATA, I'm wondering if there's a similar
problem with the nForce chipset.

I'm presently using IDE drives and the LED's work as expected.

Don

Don wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> fb wrote:

>>> I have had a couple of Lian Li cases with burnt out led's. You might
>>> swap the power and hd led connector to see if that's the problem.
>>>
>>> fb
>>

>> I'll give it a try - it must not be burnt out, as it comes on solid
>> when first booting, after posting it goes out and stays out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Are you by chance using SATA drives? I found a problem exactly like
> yours with the VIA chipset and SATA, I'm wondering if there's a
> similar problem with the nForce chipset.
>
> I'm presently using IDE drives and the LED's work as expected.
>
> Don

No sata here, I even have sata disabled in bios, ide only.

--

Don wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>
>> fb wrote:

>>> I have had a couple of Lian Li cases with burnt out led's. You might
>>> swap the power and hd led connector to see if that's the problem.
>>>
>>> fb
>>

>> I'll give it a try - it must not be burnt out, as it comes on solid
>> when first booting, after posting it goes out and stays out.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> Are you by chance using SATA drives? I found a problem exactly like
> yours with the VIA chipset and SATA, I'm wondering if there's a similar
> problem with the nForce chipset.
>
> I'm presently using IDE drives and the LED's work as expected.

I agree on the SATA comment too. Mine only comes on when booting.

fb

FB

Don Burnette wrote:
> Don wrote:
>
>>Don Burnette wrote:

>>>I'll give it a try - it must not be burnt out, as it comes on solid
>>>when first booting, after posting it goes out and stays out.
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>

>>Are you by chance using SATA drives? I found a problem exactly like
>>yours with the VIA chipset and SATA, I'm wondering if there's a
>>similar problem with the nForce chipset.
>>
>>I'm presently using IDE drives and the LED's work as expected.
>>
>>Don
>

> No sata here, I even have sata disabled in bios, ide only.

Didn't notice in the thread but did you try clearing the cmos?

fb

fb wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> Don wrote:

>>> Are you by chance using SATA drives? I found a problem exactly like
>>> yours with the VIA chipset and SATA, I'm wondering if there's a
>>> similar problem with the nForce chipset.
>>>
>>> I'm presently using IDE drives and the LED's work as expected.
>>>
>>> Don
>>

>> No sata here, I even have sata disabled in bios, ide only.
>>

> Didn't notice in the thread but did you try clearing the cmos?
>
> fb

No, I can give that a try as well, thanks.
--

fb wrote:
> Don Burnette wrote:
>> Don wrote:

>>> Are you by chance using SATA drives? I found a problem exactly like
>>> yours with the VIA chipset and SATA, I'm wondering if there's a
>>> similar problem with the nForce chipset.
>>>
>>> I'm presently using IDE drives and the LED's work as expected.
>>>
>>> Don
>>

>> No sata here, I even have sata disabled in bios, ide only.
>>

> Didn't notice in the thread but did you try clearing the cmos?
>
> fb

Gave clearing cmos a try, didn't work. Wierd...
--

Don Burnette wrote:
>>Didn't notice in the thread but did you try clearing the cmos?
>>
>>fb
>

> Gave clearing cmos a try, didn't work. Wierd...

Since the LED lights up during the power-up stage, we know that:

a) The LED does indeed work.
b) The connector is plugged in correctly as to the +/- polarity of the
LED.
c) The mobo powers the LED during power-up, so by appearance it doesn't
seem to be a hardware problem related to your board.

If memory serves, it takes 0.8v to visibly light an LED, reaching
optimal brilliance at 1.35-1.4v. There's a slight difference in these
voltages dependant on the color of the LED because different
semiconductor materials are used.

If you had access to a volt-meter/multi-meter, you could try doing
something disk intensive, like defragmenting the drive, and measuring
the voltage coming off the line powering that LED while the drives are busy.

That may at least give you a more helpful clue as to whether there is
a) a voltage coming from the mobo to the LED
b) a sufficient voltage to power the LED.

Don

TRENDING THREADS