PDA recomendation

July 15, 2004 11:24:54 PM

I am in the market for a pda but know very little about
them. Can anyone recommend a site to go to to gain info or
recommend a good starter PDA?

More about : pda recomendation

Anonymous
July 16, 2004 2:05:34 PM

donna wrote:
> I am in the market for a pda but know very little about
> them. Can anyone recommend a site to go to to gain info or
> recommend a good starter PDA?

First of all, although you've posted to a Pocket PC group, you shoudl
know that PDA does not equal only Pocket PC (although many denizens here
would argue otherwise.

If by "starter PDA" you mean looking to move your paper-based life
(contacts, calendar, notes, etc.) to an electronic device, then you
probably don't want or need extra bells and whistles (although marketing
and sales folks will try and convince you otherwise).

But here's the bottom line (heresy in a Pocket PC group): For sheer
simplicity, it's hard to beat a basic Palm device. Palm devices have a
simpler interface, they do the basics with a minimum of effort, and
their battery life is usually much longer (especially the monochrome ones).

Before the above paragraph sets off a flame war, I should add that I've
used both Palm (back when they were called Pilots) and Pocket PC (back
when they were palm-size PCs) devices for many years. I currently use a
Pocket PC, and that will be the platform I'll stay with when I upgrade
(I might see if the Motorola MPx300 can replace my Pocket PC or whether
I'll upgrade to a 4155 or similar.)

While sites such as pocketpc.com, pocketpcthoughts.com, and palm.com
tout their own particular platform devices, general technical sites such
as cnet.com have articles and reviews for all levels of PDA users.

The best course of action, besides reading generalist sites, is to make
a list of what you think you want to use a PDA for. Then, in the course
ofyour reading, you can see how well the different devices are to likely
meet your specific needs (what may be good for one person may not work
for another).

Good luck.

--
Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf
Anonymous
July 16, 2004 5:52:40 PM

"donna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am in the market for a pda but know very little about
> them. Can anyone recommend a site to go to to gain info or
> recommend a good starter PDA?

If you are in the UK go down to W H Smith or other decent newsagent there's
a monthly magazine called PDA Essentials that will probably help you get
some info.
!