New to wireless

I have never worked with wireless before but I am setting one up for my ps2.
I was wondering, what do I connect my Ps2 to if the main router is connected
to my modem, 50 ft away? I think I heard that it's called a bridge, and my
question is, does the bridge or whatever come with the router? or do I buy it
seperately?

ok. Ive checked a lot of these routers out. I've seen one that says that, In
the Box, there are wires, the Wireless Access Point, The booklet and the
antenna. I'm assuming the antenna is the part that recieves the signal from
the Wireless Access Point, right? If so, how come every other wireless router
I looked at didnt come with an antenna? What if I were to get this router:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&sku_id=0665000FS10045827&catid=19994&newdeptid=18

If you look in the "included in box" section of the info, it doesnt include
an antenna. What do I hook the PS2 up to then! It cant just recieve signal.

"thunderstruck_302" wrote:

> I have never worked with wireless before but I am setting one up for my ps2.
> I was wondering, what do I connect my Ps2 to if the main router is connected
> to my modem, 50 ft away? I think I heard that it's called a bridge, and my
> question is, does the bridge or whatever come with the router? or do I buy it
> seperately?

Try this
http://www.linksys.com/splash/wetplaystation.asp

-Brian

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:922BA472-8DC8-42BB-88D7-5D0630CDD0EF@microsoft.com...
>I have never worked with wireless before but I am setting one up for my
>ps2.
> I was wondering, what do I connect my Ps2 to if the main router is
> connected
> to my modem, 50 ft away? I think I heard that it's called a bridge, and my
> question is, does the bridge or whatever come with the router? or do I buy
> it
> seperately?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

The verbal confusion concerning Network Entry Level Hardware is really a
major problem. Every manufacturer invent its own name.

There is class of Wireless Client Cards that do not need software drivers in
order to function. This type of Hardware is suitable for Game Boxes (it is
call consumer Group Bridge by some people).

This is an example for one of these devices:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-101&depa=0

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:922BA472-8DC8-42BB-88D7-5D0630CDD0EF@microsoft.com...
> I have never worked with wireless before but I am setting one up for my
ps2.
> I was wondering, what do I connect my Ps2 to if the main router is
connected
> to my modem, 50 ft away? I think I heard that it's called a bridge, and my
> question is, does the bridge or whatever come with the router? or do I buy
it
> seperately?

so... basically what your saying is that if I buy a wireless router, its not
going to come with an antenna? I have to buy this with the router and use
this as the reciever? That makes no sense because of the last diagram on the
following website:
http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id=installation/networkadaptor/D008697.html
Ok... people.. basically, all I want to know is what do I hook the ps2 up
to, is it the Wireless Ethernet Bridge, and does it come with the wireless
router? I know I need a wireless router and it will stay near my modem. The
ps2 is 50 ft away, and wont be wired to the modem. I need to connect the
ethernet port in the back of the ps2 to something (The Wireless Ethernet
Bridge, Im assuming) that recieves the signal from the main router that is
connected to the modem. Lets break this down EVEN FURTHER! The modem is "A",
the router is "B". When they are connected we call them "AB". I know thats
how it is started. My PS2 is "Y", the Wireless Ethernet Bridge is "Z". When I
buy "B", do I get "Z" in the box with "B", or do I have to buy it seperate?

Once again, If you guys get confused, look at the very last diagram on this
page:
http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id=installation/networkadaptor/D008697.html

thats where I am basing my info. from.

Its the sony website telling me how to hook up a wireless router to my modem
and ps2.

message news:9A02DCE6-76AA-47FC-AE04-6D95F040F2E6@microsoft.com...
> ok. Ive checked a lot of these routers out. I've seen one that says that,
> In
> the Box, there are wires, the Wireless Access Point, The booklet and the
> antenna. I'm assuming the antenna is the part that recieves the signal
> from
> the Wireless Access Point, right? If so, how come every other wireless
> router
> I looked at didnt come with an antenna? What if I were to get this router:
> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&sku_id=0665000FS10045827&catid=19994&newdeptid=18
>
> If you look in the "included in box" section of the info, it doesnt
> include
> an antenna. What do I hook the PS2 up to then! It cant just recieve
> signal.

If you're talking about D-Link router in the link above are you seriously
saying you don't see the antenna sticking up off of it?
It's not listed as "included in the box" because it's attached to the router
itself. Which is also not listed as included in the box but obviously would
be :)

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
This is a way Home Network that is used to share Internet Connection and
files looks like.
Connection Diagram: http://www.ezlan.net/~network/router.jpg
The Sony PlayStation is a Wireless Client.
When you buy a Wireless Cable DSL/Router you do not get a Wireless Client
Card (waht Sony calls Ethernet Bridge). You need to buy one of the thingies
that is in the answer giving to you before.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:D1BDD805-BD27-45E9-B54C-FF095447CABC@microsoft.com...
> [...]
is
> > call consumer Group Bridge by some people).
> >
> > This is an example for one of these devices:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=73-999-101&depa=0

> > Jack (MVP-Networking).
> >

> > "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in
> > message news:922BA472-8DC8-42BB-88D7-5D0630CDD0EF@microsoft.com...
> > > I have never worked with wireless before but I am setting one up for
my
> > ps2.
> > > I was wondering, what do I connect my Ps2 to if the main router is
> > connected
> > > to my modem, 50 ft away? I think I heard that it's called a bridge,
and my
> > > question is, does the bridge or whatever come with the router? or do I

Ok, please, don't anyone take this personally, but I think I'm going to try
the way Sony has it on their site. I can buy the stuff and return it and try
it your way if it doesnt work. I don't understand how it's so confusing. I
assume that a regular phone cable goes to my modem, and an ethernet cable
goes out to the WAN port on a Wireless router. Then I have another ethernet
wire going out of the router to my network card on my computer. THEN!.... I
have an antenna or Wireless Bridge that sits next to my PS2. From that
antenna/ Wireless Bridge I have an ethernet cable which plugs to my PS2. Is
this not basically what the Sony site is telling me? the only answer I want
is for the following question: Does the Wireless Bridge/ antenna come with my
Wireless Router?

"Jack" wrote:

> [...]
> this
> > page:
> >
> http://www.us.playstation.com/support.aspx?id=installation/networkadaptor/D0
> 08697.html
> >
> > thats where I am basing my info. from.
> >
> > Its the sony website telling me how to hook up a wireless router to my
> modem
> > and ps2.
> >

> > "Jack" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > The verbal confusion concerning Network Entry Level Hardware is really a
> > > major problem. Every manufacturer invent its own name.
> > >
> > > There is class of Wireless Client Cards that do not need software
> drivers in
> > > order to function. This type of Hardware is suitable for Game Boxes (it
> is
> > > call consumer Group Bridge by some people).
> > >
> > > This is an example for one of these devices:

Ohh... and (read my previous message so you will understand this one)
If the antenna/ Ethernet bridge does not come with the router, does that
mean that I'll be spending (Canadian Dollars) $69.99 on a D-Link Wireless
Router, another $99.99 on the Game adapter, and $15.00 on the ethernet wire?
If so..... BOY DOES SONY HAVE TO GET A BETTER DEAL ON ONLINE!

"JoeT" <noway@today> wrote in message

> "thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:9A02DCE6-76AA-47FC-AE04-6D95F040F2E6@microsoft.com...
>> ok. Ive checked a lot of these routers out. I've seen one that says that,
>> In
>> the Box, there are wires, the Wireless Access Point, The booklet and the
>> antenna. I'm assuming the antenna is the part that recieves the signal
>> from
>> the Wireless Access Point, right? If so, how come every other wireless
>> router
>> I looked at didnt come with an antenna? What if I were to get this
>> router:
>> http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&dept=18&sku_id=0665000FS10045827&catid=19994&newdeptid=18
>>
>> If you look in the "included in box" section of the info, it doesnt
>> include
>> an antenna. What do I hook the PS2 up to then! It cant just recieve
>> signal.
>>

> If you're talking about D-Link router in the link above are you seriously
> saying you don't see the antenna sticking up off of it?
> It's not listed as "included in the box" because it's attached to the
> router itself. Which is also not listed as included in the box but
> obviously would be :)

And as was stated by others, if you get a wireless capable router you'll
also need a wireless game adapter for your console if you don't want to run
a cable from it to an ethernet port on the router. Most wireless routers
also have a certain number of ethernet ports as well as perhaps a USB port
for connecting your hardwired network stuff as well.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi
I do not know how much you are going to spend (these thingies are much less
expensive on the USA).
However you got it right you need these three components.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"thunderstruck_302" <thunderstruck302@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:F74A2CC3-894F-40DB-A61F-9FA7E20C1EA5@microsoft.com...