Closed

continuously running harddrive

March 3, 2005 2:21:15 PM

I try to keep my system as clean as possible with the latest XP updates,
AdAware, and McAfee. I check TaskManager and go through my RUN>MSCONFG:
StartUp folder but can find no reason so far for my harddrive to keep
running. I'm on a cable modem.
Task Manager shows no undue or suspicious processes active during this time,
and I have no web- or desktop-search engines active (or inactive). AdAware
(6) shows nothing untoward; PC PowerScan "fixed" everything it found; McAfee
finds nothing . . ..
I can hear the head moving, there are short pauses from time to time; when I
start TaskManager the HD stops for a short time then resumes. Every once in
awhile, it seems the head finds something, data is moved or transferred or
read, then it continues its search. I see no significant cpu usage. yet it
turns and turns and turns and keeps me up all night worrying.
It's like it's indexing, but doing it over and over.
Any ideas?
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 2:21:16 PM

Windows XP indexing service is probably running. Try search in help &
support and turn it off.

"Tim Cole" wrote:

> I try to keep my system as clean as possible with the latest XP updates,
> AdAware, and McAfee. I check TaskManager and go through my RUN>MSCONFG:
> StartUp folder but can find no reason so far for my harddrive to keep
> running. I'm on a cable modem.
> Task Manager shows no undue or suspicious processes active during this time,
> and I have no web- or desktop-search engines active (or inactive). AdAware
> (6) shows nothing untoward; PC PowerScan "fixed" everything it found; McAfee
> finds nothing . . ..
> I can hear the head moving, there are short pauses from time to time; when I
> start TaskManager the HD stops for a short time then resumes. Every once in
> awhile, it seems the head finds something, data is moved or transferred or
> read, then it continues its search. I see no significant cpu usage. yet it
> turns and turns and turns and keeps me up all night worrying.
> It's like it's indexing, but doing it over and over.
> Any ideas?

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:52:31 PM

"tfw48079" <tfw48079@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D A278BD2-0723-4B4F-85FE-A8F3A2692869@microsoft.com...

> Windows XP indexing service is probably running. Try search in help &
> support and turn it off.

According to "Services and Applications," Indexing is set to manual is
turned off; also, there has been no recorded activity or logs for Indexing.
But it sure sounds like it's indexing... But, then, it has been doing this
for days and days.
Tim
March 26, 2005 2:30:55 AM

Hey Tim, did you get this issue sorted out? I notice the same problem on
my boss' laptop, and I have it for the next little while. What you
describe happens to this laptop exactly. Opening Task manager pauses
the activity as the hard drive is running based on a background service
that keeps it going when idle. It allows the foreground application to
do what it needs to and then continues in hte background.

I have tried different things myself - diagnostics show the controller
and hd are fine, safe mode still produces a running hd problem, etc.
The only thing I have not been able to test (because it isn't my laptop
to do this with) is disabling Symantec's GO Back ver 3. I am not
familiar with it, but I know if it is disabled, it clears out hte
history, so my boss will not be able to roll back to any previous
state.

Please let me know if you are running Go Back on your pc, and if by
chance your system is an HP. My guess is that Go back is doing
something or the other and that is what keeps the HD going.

Thanks,

Kai

--
kgamadia